User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any knowledgeable volvo enthusiasts.?.?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Any knowledgeable volvo enthusiasts.?.?

I know quite a bit about trucks, engines, mechanicality. That being said, i do not know alot about volvos.. With each model, there are certain years that had flaws or undesirable. My wife is looking at a 2003 Volvo XC70. It is the AWD wagon.. Anyone own one, or know if there are problems with this year.. My knowledge of volvos, is limited to the old electronic nightmares of the early 90s. Help is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Any knowledgeable volvo enthusiasts.?.?

Ours is a little newer - 2007 XC90. The only recurring issue we had were the wheel bearings - all 4 wheels needed bearings replaced prior to 40K. Other than that - it's been really good.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyhillrambler View Post
    I know quite a bit about trucks, engines, mechanicality. That being said, i do not know alot about volvos.. With each model, there are certain years that had flaws or undesirable. My wife is looking at a 2003 Volvo XC70. It is the AWD wagon.. Anyone own one, or know if there are problems with this year.. My knowledge of volvos, is limited to the old electronic nightmares of the early 90s. Help is appreciated.
    Yes! All knowledge is here: Volvo Cross Country Resources: XC70, XC90, XC60 Hands down the best source for intel wrt Volvos. We have a 2006 XC that is amazing and great. They go like stink in snow too :) You should read up, some of the earlier yr. models have weak transmissions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you mean ford??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyhillrambler View Post
    My brother drives a 2003 XC70, just past 200,000 miles. Never had anything fo seriously wrong, just maintains it per spec.
    I am not who I am.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you have a good indy Volvo mechanic in your area? Volvo is (or was within the last two years) really tight fisted with diagnostics for non-Volvo dealers. It can make servicing them difficult unless your indy has a relationship with a friendly dealer.

That said, the AC systems are a weak spot ($1500 to replace), as are the transmission/transfer case. You'll see a lot of 2001's that have new transmissions, or are being sold with broken ones. Driveline got a lot better in 2003.

Timing belt must be replaced at 105K for about $700.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have nothing useful to add to this thread...but I_really_want to drop an LS1 into a 240 wagon ;-)
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a wagon that can take an LS1 just fine. It is not a Volvo.

Ping Zimmerman about Volvos. He has a nice one in the pipe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An LS into anything is about the best mod ever. The General may not make good cars but that generation of V8's will go down in history as one of the all time automotive greats. Are the weak tranny's auto or manual because if Volvo/Ford can't source a decent manual transmission then I will only lease cars from here on out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

XC70 is automatic only.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had a brief stint with an '04 V70R wagon. 300-something horsepower. Big Brembo brakes. AWD. Clutch pedal. Gave you whiplash every time it saw an on ramp. But it was psycho. Turns out the central computer was haywire. And every electronic component (that'd be everything in the car) is tied into the central computer. It'd turn its own lights on and off, decide I didn't need a working speedometer, lock and unlock doors, and just for the hell of it, trip the anti-theft immobilizer. That and our old pickup had a better turning radius. Traded it to a dealer for a Jetta sportwagon (stellar car). But there are a lot of happy, high mileage XCs out there.

We also have an Audi allroad which may be a decent alternative, though not without its own dollar intensive quirks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is why i asked.. All of these good responses, and i trust the general consensus of most Saloneers. I get scared about volvos when a friend of ours called me to help with a dead battery.. I went over to help out, seems as though the battery died and fried the computer system. It was a 2009 v50, the closest dealer is 125 miles away, and all of the indy shops do not have a computer system that will read the new, 2009 up volvos. The fuel system had to be re-programmed, about $475 later, her volvo was running..

My other volvo experience, was when a friend of ours dropped her key in the lake.. Of course, being a car guy with a rollback, i get the call. Sure, i am willing to help out.. Didnt know i would need the rollback for a lost key.. I pick her up to bring her into town to get a key made. Wrong, i call the dealership which tells me we have to bring the car into their shop to have a key made.. Now i need the rollback. 8 hours later and, check this out $550 later, she is driving..

So my two simple volvo problems, from what i have seen, are expensive.. That being said, if my wife want one, we will probably get one. She honestly never asks for anything, so she deserves it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 'nati Chris View Post
    An LS into anything is about the best mod ever. The General may not make good cars but that generation of V8's will go down in history as one of the all time automotive greats. Are the weak tranny's auto or manual because if Volvo/Ford can't source a decent manual transmission then I will only lease cars from here on out.
    Auto only. They fixed it from 2004 forward. It's really one he!!a a car as long as you understand that it ain't a sports car. They are very safe, very heavy and go like the beejeepers in snow. Another thing I appreciate about these cars is that they are quite sparse inside.

Rowdy, that's pretty funny wrt your wife. Same here, she never asks for anything however one day she says "I deserve a new car" and buddy guess what? Happy wife.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by musgravecycles View Post
    I have nothing useful to add to this thread...but I_really_want to drop an LS1 into a 240 wagon ;-)

This is like my ideal car. Add a badass roof rack, and you have the ultimate sleeper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have a 2003 XC70 and have had no problems in 100k+ miles. Starting in approx. 2003, the XC70s have the Haldex AWD system, which is a huge improvement over the earlier viscous coupling system. Read many reports of the viscous AWD system getting fried when a spare donut tire was installed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by musgravecycles View Post
    I can help with this endeavor.

LS swap is kind of my dream. Or just popping a junkyard turbo engine into it. Having some issues with it right now, cost of fixing is more than it's worth...but I really can't find a better car that isn't an '05 or newer for my needs. Bricklove for sure.

It's even a stick.
    Nate King
    not at scarab

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not knowledgeable and probably not relevant because the C30 is likely made in a different factory but I love the thing. Now I just have to stumble across $1300 for the Polestar tune and I'll be my own worst enemy. Fifteen months, 15000 miles and $0 maintenance. Talk to me in five years and ask me how the fifteen year plan is going, I guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In other Volvo news.

N.Y. man nears 3 millionth mile in beloved '66 Volvo - Bottom Line

LS into a 240 sounds like a really big and tricky project. Maybe a little more involved than a weekend with air tools and an engine hoist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    LS into a 240 sounds like a really big and tricky project. Maybe a little more involved than a weekend with air tools and an engine hoist.
    Don't know about an LS, but Ford five-liter and Borg Warner T5 is pretty easy. At most a two-weekend job for two competent guys. Anyone contemplating a swap like this would need to put in a Truetrac LSD, of course.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast