User Tag List

Page 359 of 362 FirstFirst ... 349350351352353354355356357358359360361362 LastLast
Results 7,161 to 7,180 of 7223

Thread: Get Your Grump on Thursdays - Was (What's chapping my @ss today?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Get Your Grump on Thursdays - Was (What's chapping my @ss today?)

Coffee ride in 30 minutes, COVID booster and flu shot at 11:20am and ZOOM for the balance of the day. As one might read, the enjoyment curve for the day starts to go downhill right before lunch. Traveling too much to take a chance of not taking the jabs, and too many family members who could potentially suffer if I pass the risk on to them. Catholic guilt from 12 years of instruction by the Sisters of Divine Providence and the Jesuits I guess. Also, I want to enjoy my first game next Saturday at the Big House, Doug.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Coffee ride in 30 minutes, COVID booster and flu shot at 11:20am and ZOOM for the balance of the day. As one might read, the enjoyment curve for the day starts to go downhill right before lunch. Traveling too much to take a chance of not taking the jabs, and too many family members who could potentially suffer if I pass the risk on to them. Catholic guilt from 12 years of instruction by the Sisters of Divine Providence and the Jesuits I guess. Also, I want to enjoy my first game next Saturday at the Big House, Doug.
    My daughter is a Wolverine. I, on the other hand, am a Golden Gopher as are most of my relatives. In addition, we bleed purple... Been that way since Vikings lost to Steelers in 1970's... Time does not heal wounds.

(At least I have some Iron City Steeler Superbowl champ cans.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    My daughter is a Wolverine. I, on the other hand, am a Golden Gopher as are most of my relatives. In addition, we bleed purple... Been that way since Vikings lost to Steelers in 1970's... Time does not heal wounds.
    Fran Tarkenton was a class act and if I recall correctly, Tony Dungee QB’d at Minnesota before he became a Steeler player and eventually a coach. My youngest finishes grad school at UM in December, so I wanted to see a game while he’s there. He claims that while the atmosphere at the Big House is exciting, the fans at The Shoe stage a better event. This remains to be seen from my perspective but one thing i know for sure, he won’t be wearing his Ohio State jersey in Ann Arbor.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fran Tarkenton was a class act and if I recall correctly, Tony Dungee QB’d at Minnesota before he became a Steeler player and eventually a coach. My youngest finishes grad school at UM in December, so I wanted to see a game while he’s there. He claims that while the atmosphere at the Big House is exciting, the fans at The Shoe stage a better event. This remains to be seen from my perspective but one thing i know for sure, he won’t be wearing his Ohio State jersey in Ann Arbor.
    2007. Ohio State at Washington. Dad and I are seated by two massive, massively friendly Buckeye fans. In the fourth quarter, on the visitor’s side of the stadium, for reasons I still don’t fathom, a guy stands up in a blue Harbaugh jersey. Husky and Buckeye fans boo him with gusto while he nods and smiles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Graduation ceremony in the Big House is fun if the weather is nice. I don't know if you will go in the spring for that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure if this is a grumpy post or a happy one. Guess it's relative to how full my coffee cup is this AM. Yesterday morning, I went into my garage to get the pail I use when cleaning the cat litter box. I immediately noticed signs that an animal was in the garage. After a little thinking, I realized the garage door had been open for 30 minutes the previous evening when my daughter had stopped by. At first I thought a feral cat had strolled in to find a snack. Then I thought it might be a raccoon. But the mess that the animal made was in some flower bulbs and whatever was in the garage was stealthy and quiet. The lightbulb went on over my head - skunk!

I started a very careful, quiet search. Sure enough, Pepe Le Pew was hiding behind a piece of plywood. I opened the garage door nearest the skunk and carefully removed any obstacles in its path toward freedom. Unfortunately, the skunk had other ideas and took refuge under my car. No problem, I was sure that left to its own devices, the skunk would depart shortly. Nope. It decided that hiding under the car was the perfect place to spend the day. Two hours later and one fruitless call to the town animal control officer, I decided to take matters into my own hands. I sat in the car and used my left leg to slowly push the car out of the garage. Just as the car was leaving the building, the skunk bolted under a shelf. Plan B was to live trap the skunk (I have multiple live traps from rescuing feral cats). I went inside and opened up a can of the stinkiest cat food I could find. When I went into the garage, the fat little skunk was waddling his way out. Success at last! And no skunk spray on the car or in the house.

Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Old age and treachery beat youth and enthusiasm every time…

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gregl View Post
    Not sure if this is a grumpy post or a happy one. Guess it's relative to how full my coffee cup is this AM. Yesterday morning, I went into my garage to get the pail I use when cleaning the cat litter box. I immediately noticed signs that an animal was in the garage. After a little thinking, I realized the garage door had been open for 30 minutes the previous evening when my daughter had stopped by. At first I thought a feral cat had strolled in to find a snack. Then I thought it might be a raccoon. But the mess that the animal made was in some flower bulbs and whatever was in the garage was stealthy and quiet. The lightbulb went on over my head - skunk!

I started a very careful, quiet search. Sure enough, Pepe Le Pew was hiding behind a piece of plywood. I opened the garage door nearest the skunk and carefully removed any obstacles in its path toward freedom. Unfortunately, the skunk had other ideas and took refuge under my car. No problem, I was sure that left to its own devices, the skunk would depart shortly. Nope. It decided that hiding under the car was the perfect place to spend the day. Two hours later and one fruitless call to the town animal control officer, I decided to take matters into my own hands. I sat in the car and used my left leg to slowly push the car out of the garage. Just as the car was leaving the building, the skunk bolted under a shelf. Plan B was to live trap the skunk (I have multiple live traps from rescuing feral cats). I went inside and opened up a can of the stinkiest cat food I could find. When I went into the garage, the fat little skunk was waddling his way out. Success at last! And no skunk spray on the car or in the house.

Greg
    That's a huge win!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My grandpa use to swear by skunk lard as medicine. Boil the lard down to grease; basically Vicks Vapor rub with kick.

A lot of weird folklore In the Midwest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    2007. Ohio State at Washington. Dad and I are seated by two massive, massively friendly Buckeye fans. In the fourth quarter, on the visitor’s side of the stadium, for reasons I still don’t fathom, a guy stands up in a blue Harbaugh jersey. Husky and Buckeye fans boo him with gusto while he nods and smiles.
    Thursday grump: Reading about Big 10 football in our grump forum.

Signed,
    UGA '87
    killing idols one at a time

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There were no skunks, although I saw a few roadkills on my ride this morning. Walking from my home office to the kitchen, I noticed a king snake, about 12-14 inches, heading down the hallway. The front door was open, and the screen door had about an inch gap, so I assume that was how it entered the house. The cat ignored the snake. I used the kitchen broom and dustpan to get it outside and released it in the flowerbeds. King snakes are great to have around in the desert since they kill rattlers.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today is national day here and it is such a shameful day. And spanish people pretend they aren't racists.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taz View Post
    Thursday grump: Reading about Big 10 football in our grump forum.

Signed,
    UGA '87
    Sorry, but I guess I did it in the right place so you could grump about it.

Only grump I can manage today is that I’m overdue for a hair cut and I miss my dog. Two days left of vacation with my wife and it’s been fantastic. Lowell Observatory and star gazing tonight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of recent business travel, and I’ve had a great week of client meetings and a groundbreaking ceremony for a new health sciences building that I’ve been working on for the better part of two years, but of course, Amercian Airlines stepped in tonight and said “no so fast partner”.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First world problem of course, but I ended up at the airport Hilton after boarding the plane, being asked to get off the plane, sitting at the gate for another 1/2 hour, then being told “adios mofos…we will see you tomorrow morning”…fingers crossed.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First world problem of course, but I ended up at the airport Hilton after boarding the plane, being asked to get off the plane, sitting at the gate for another 1/2 hour, then being told “adios mofos…we will see you tomorrow morning”…fingers crossed.
    Ooph, that is rough. Hope you slept okay.

We really ought to have something similar to EU261.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You feel for the people that do this 1-2x year and the gent that cut it too close to make it to his daughter’s wedding in NOLA.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You feel for the people that do this 1-2x year and the gent that cut it too close to make it to his daughter’s wedding in NOLA.
    Yeah, I travel 2-3x a month and have to remind myself that I'm the outlier on my flights, not everyone else.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Two weeks ago, I flew to Sioux Falls for a history conference. I flew from Vegas to Phoenix to Sioux Falls on American. On the return flight from Sioux Falls to Phoenix, I got an alert that my PHX to Vegas flight was delayed three hours and to choose another flight. All the flights listed were leaving later than my original flight, even after a three hour delay. I checked on my delayed flight several times, and it didn't change after the three hour delay, so I did nothing. American sent me a few more alerts to choose another flight, and I did nothing. In the extra three hours in PHX, I had a nice meal and walked close to 10K steps. I boarded my flight (737-800) with twenty other passengers for the 55 minute flight. I was the only person sitting in the exit rows. The whole thing made no sense, why would someone choose a later flight, especially if the airlines is updating the delayed flight?
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Always a day late and a dollar short.
    Always.
    This grump is for any day of the week/year/going on decades.
    Disappearing public access to art on the tubes.
    Go ahead and place a marker on your favorite publicly available piece of art in any format, it may not be there the next time you hit that marker.
    This is history being erased every day.
    AND IT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What do you think Big Bill above?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't know what specific art you are discussing, but as a revisionist historian (which we all should be), erasing any history is wrong, even if the history itself is wrong. I recently presented a paper on Crow tribe in Herrera v. Wyoming. The crux of the SCOTUS case was the State of Wyoming nullifying the 1868 Fort Laramie Treaty based on statehood occurring after the Treaty. A few states have done this including Montana and Minnesota, but the court ruled in favor of the Crow and re-validated the 1868 Treaty.

History that we find objectionable still serves a purpose. The Confederate Lost Cause was history based on a series of falsehoods. We need to study and understand the falsehoods to make sense of our nation's history. If you delete events and accounts, you create a gap in the timeline. Columbus didn't discover the Americas, he merely claimed them for a European nation. The biggest event was the introduction of European disease and culture. In the hundred years after Columbus, as many as 90% of the indigenous people in the Central and South America died. It doesn't mean we cancel Columbus, we put him in context for his place in history.