User Tag List

Page 357 of 362 FirstFirst ... 347348349350351352353354355356357358359360361362 LastLast
Results 7,121 to 7,140 of 7223

Thread: Get Your Grump on Thursdays - Was (What's chapping my @ss today?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Get Your Grump on Thursdays - Was (What's chapping my @ss today?)

I'm counting the years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ground hornets. I found a burrow when I was mowing the lawn. This year's model is new and improved or like everything else, I am more sensitive the older I get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I had ground hornets at my PNW place, right next to where I put the trash cans on pickup day. I got stung twice within a minute. I poured gasoline in the hole and lit it up. I had a real Lieutenant Colonel Bill Kilgore moment. (smells like victory).
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As soon as the Doc's office can get me in or the urgent care place opens up I see a needle full of antibiotics on today's agenda. I got hit on both ankles, my left calf appears to have one hell of an infection going on. Just when I get riding a little and had another decent day planned I can't even walk comfortably. I'm grumpy, for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    As soon as the Doc's office can get me in or the urgent care place opens up I see a needle full of antibiotics on today's agenda. I got hit on both ankles, my left calf appears to have one hell of an infection going on. Just when I get riding a little and had another decent day planned I can't even walk comfortably. I'm grumpy, for sure.
    I’m not a Doc and I don’t play one on TV, but you might want to ask about an EpiPen and start carrying some Benadryl with you as well. Paper wasps are the bane of my existence and twice they’ve placed me in the back of an ambulance. This after a lifetime of having little to no reactions from bee stings and eventually, the reactions progressed to what you’ve experienced. Stay safe and @verticaldoug might chime in as well.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was stung in the eye once. Felt like I'd been hit by an Exocet.

Why can't the DoD weaponize them? You aren't going to be able to do anything offensive if a swarm decides to target you.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When we were sight-seeing in Kyoto, I saw a giant hornet buzzing in a garden of one of the temples situated on the hills on the eastern part of the city.

It took me a few seconds to process what I was seeing. Holy f***ing shit, the thing was ginormous, but fortunately, it was a single hornet, and it seemed more interested in the flowers than it was in me. I bolted, and thankfully, it didn't decide to follow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post
    When we were sight-seeing in Kyoto, I saw a giant hornet buzzing in a garden of one of the temples situated on the hills on the eastern part of the city.

It took me a few seconds to process what I was seeing. Holy f***ing shit, the thing was ginormous, but fortunately, it was a single hornet, and it seemed more interested in the flowers than it was in me. I bolted, and thankfully, it didn't decide to follow.
    Memories of the huge bees during our Cotswolds garden tour. Not the same as a wasp or hornet—I like bees—but those things were freight helicopters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    Memories of the huge bees during our Cotswolds garden tour. Not the same as a wasp or hornet—I like bees—but those things were freight helicopters.
    From my perspective, large bumble bees are quite endearing. I might have actually come across a few on my trip.

I tend to stay away from honeybees, b/c I can't readily differentiate them from the vespidae

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And the grump goes on. Not riding today either.
    48 hours, a good whack of antihistamines and Prednisone but the one ankle still swollen and won't bend without noticeable discomfort. I could probably ride through it but High Command is on alert.

"This what you always are like" she says. "You never say anything so you'll suffer and die."

To which I replied "I'm confused. I thought to suffer and die was the point of existing."

She didn't see the humor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds awful. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    "..... I thought to suffer and die was the point of existing........".
    I've always said that I ride for the pain.
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last Sunday woke up with major lower back pain. Tried to walk. Very painful. Right leg very weak too.

Last night MRI at Hospital for Special Surgery.

This morning, results are in and L4/5 are uglier than my kid sister. A couple of others looking very problematic with moderate to severe gap closing/ slippage/ bulging and something I can't pronounce but is unusual moving backwards from where it is supposed to be according to the first doc.

Hoping tomorrow's senior ortho/ cyclist doc will allow me to remove the Thursday grump with Friday happiness and the first guy was only playing bad cop.
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People using the left lane on the interstate as a travel lane an moral purse swinging arguments on the internet.
    Allan Howard
    Former Marine, bike racer & bike cop
    IPMBA
    https://ipmba.org/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to hear, Jon. And this after your injury earlier this year. Hope you get an all-clear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good karma sent your way, Jon.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The bugs the hornets injected me with. Got stung. Got better. Got sick, didn't get better. Waiting for the bug to be identified so we know what antibiotics to use. I can't think of a nice way to describe how I took samples this morning. I'm down six pounds in ten days. Fatigue is off the charts. Can't eat. In the past I've done 6 months of chemo, five weeks of intense radiation, ridden more than 200 miles in a day several times, done back to back centuries, I think I know fatigue. This has it beat hands down. I am not enjoying this. Best weather of the year and I couldn't ride my bike to the end of my street without needing a broom wagon.

Worst part is I can't help but think I'm shaking hands with my future self. Old age is not for cowards, my dad said. Oh boy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Sending some additional karma up North.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clucking bell, how awful. Didnt even know one could get infections on top of a sting.

Speedy recovery, Tom.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As always, a day late and a dollar short...

Pulled out my back earlier this week which is yet another thing keeping me off the bike. I need a break from all this stuff so I can get on with my life and ride my bike which keeps getting new layers up dust build up with each passing week. WTF universe, give me a break already.