User Tag List

Page 348 of 362 FirstFirst ... 338339340341342343344345346347348349350351352353354355356357358 ... LastLast
Results 6,941 to 6,960 of 7223

Thread: Get Your Grump on Thursdays - Was (What's chapping my @ss today?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Get Your Grump on Thursdays - Was (What's chapping my @ss today?)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    But you should post that photo of the wires with explanation on Instagram as the town follows your Instagram. Crews shouldn’t leave that stuff around. Even a local would complain about that. ;-)
    Pretty sure that account on Instagram is not owned by the town.

Maybe I will send the pics to Richard Briggs...

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    Pretty sure that account on Instagram is not owned by the town.

Maybe I will send the pics to Richard Briggs...

SPP
    You're right - there is one that isn't owned/operated by the Town of Hillsdale, but the town does have an account called Hey Hillsdale.

This one: https://www.instagram.com/heyhillsdaleny/?hl=en

But calling Mr. Briggs cuts right to the point. He'd come take a look.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    How does he explain the dinosaurs?
    God created the earth with the dinosaurs already buried in the ground, where do you think oil comes from? He also created Aboriginal peoples with their "supposed" history >5000 years old. I'm an engineer with a Masters in history, so many things make my brain itch.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've had a couple young earth creationist engineers at work. A lot of it is the environment they grew up in. Universally they got it beat into them from an early age that a literal interpretation of the bible is the number one source of truth about the world. Anything that runs counter to that is going to get filtered out because it challenges the totality of their world view. The human brain can't handle that so they'll glom onto any "reasonable" explanation that allows them to continue holding their core beliefs. I really don't care that much until they either try to get their BS taught in schools or start influencing public policy. The current pushback on social distancing and vaccination for example drives me up the wall but I'm mostly just entertained by the "science museum" down the street from me that claims man once walked with the dinosaurs.

but yeah, watching someone with the ability to work through complex technical problems or develop new technology discount stuff like radiocarbon dating, the fossil record, the position of stars, evolution, etc. is always wild and kind of jolting. I just try to redirect all conversations back to work topics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tomorrow's my birthday, so I won't bellyache then, but g-d damnit, I swear I woke up this morning suddenly needing reading glasses. wtf?

[dropped and gave my 20, sorry boss]
    This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmgorman View Post
    Tomorrow's my birthday, so I won't bellyache then, but g-d damnit, I swear I woke up this morning suddenly needing reading glasses. wtf?

[dropped and gave my 20, sorry boss]
    My favorites are those instruction sheets with off white type on glossy white coated paper.
    And the type size condensed down to the size of a period.

Norma: I am big, it’s the pictures that got smaller.

Enjoy your day bud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our office staff are required to wear masks as part of a mandate by the Governor (WA) and this is a good thing, as all but 2 of 21 people are vaccinated and we are back in the office on a hybrid schedule and we want folks to respect the seriousness of this virus. We know who the unvaccinated staff members are, as prior to the mask mandate, we issued a policy update requiring unvaccinated individuals to wear masks and follow CDC health guidelines at work. Proof of vaccination was required, as we also work on client sites, which did result in a bit of theatrics on the part of the unvaccinated. One claims religious exemption (Muslim) and one claims that “the government can’t make her”.

Guess who tested positive last Wednesday and now today? One attended a massive indoor wedding the previous Saturday and “the government can’t make her” individual had an off- to-college party for her (unvaccinated) kid on Saturday in an indoor hall…150 guests. Now all who have been in contact with these individuals over the last 10 days are required to be tested and people are pissed to say the least. As one young engineer told me, “I’ve done my part and so have you. Why do we need to deal with these people if they don’t respect our health and safety?”. She’s got a point.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wife’s Covid-19 recovery continues. Physically it seems that long Covid type sequelae have been avoided. But one area which hasn’t improved is her mood. She became justifiably emotional in the middle of her illness, upset that “I made” her get vaccinated and uncharacteristically hostile because I couldn’t anticipate every need. Well, she’s angry that her ordeal didn’t include weight loss. “Everyone I know who had Covid in January lost 15 pounds!” I’m too nice to remind her that her nutritional habits likely kept her from having a worse case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People who play music on external speakers while hiking. Are you f-ing kidding? Get off the trails (and my lawn).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Four and a half inches of rain last night, according to the decorative rain gauge in the yard.

IMG_1595.jpg

And only an inch and a half in my basement after the sump pump stopped! So I guess that's a win?
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've ridden 3 times in the last 18 days. Two projects have me going 6 days a week, I took 2 weeks off in August and worked at least part of the day every weekday. I had an overnight implementation to support one of the vacation
    weekends. Last weekend we went up north to celebrate my 60th birthday. I started out driving, after 20 miles we had to switch because I was so tired I was literally cross eyed and couldn't see straight.

On the bright side, Tuesday I informed my boss 9/30/22 is my last day. That seems like a lot of notice but the way my shop is right now it isn't. This way I'll be less tempted to quit ahead of plan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I drank a beer it tasted funny.
    Brewed by Romans.
    Canned by Czechs.
    WTF?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not Thursday, but:

Trying to sign up for Medicare. They sure make it feel like an entitlement.

Fuck this. Beautiful weather here I won't waste waiting on hold listening to shitty music.

Time to ride.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Not Thursday, but my wife if flying up to Wyoming to be with her mother who will pass in the next few days.

For Medicare, I'm fortunate to have Tricare which magically switches to Medicare on my 65th birthday.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    Not Thursday, but:

Fuck this. Beautiful weather here I won't waste waiting on hold listening to shitty music.

Time to ride.
    When I applied for Social Security they didn't believe I lived at my address even though they had been sending me the yearly statements for 20 years.
    Finally had to go to the office. They just shrugged their shoulders.
    Enjoy the ride. The trip to the office is much worse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not Thursday, but:

Time to ride.
    If you have an online social security account, it takes about 5 minutes max to sign up for Medicaire Part A. I won't need to sign up for Part B until late next year so I can't vouch for the ease or difficulty of that segment. To hell with the phone.
    Last edited by rwsaunders; 10-14-2021 at 08:50 AM.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm re-engineering the access points for the filters on our built-in split units. 3 out of 5 done. I could list the bad decisions - or absence of decisions - but I'm over it.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    If you have an online social security account, it takes about 5 minutes max to sign up for Medicaire Part A. I won't need to sign up for Part B until late next year so I can't vouch for the ease or difficulty of that segment. To hell with the phone.
    I resorted to going to the local office, about 30 minutes away. Found that I had to have an appointment, so called the number. Sarah answered and had me signed up in about five minutes. She told me she was from Goshen, the town next door to where I live, and that's what prompted her. But she was just a good public servant, cheerful and thorough.

Tomorrow is my birthday. Hello 65.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did what pisses me off about the dumbasses who come to me wanting me to solve their problems and leave out key information that describes the circumstances. After two weeks of back and forth on a vendor ticket I asked how their latest solution was supposed to work when and they said you didn't say it happened when and I looked back and realized they were right. The most important distinctive feature and I never mentioned it. Son of a...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I resorted to going to the local office, about 30 minutes away. Found that I had to have an appointment, so called the number. Sarah answered and had me signed up in about five minutes. She told me she was from Goshen, the town next door to where I live, and that's what prompted her. But she was just a good public servant, cheerful and thorough.

Tomorrow is my birthday. Hello 65.
    Happy birthday Jay!
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books