User Tag List

Page 342 of 362 FirstFirst ... 332333334335336337338339340341342343344345346347348349350351352 ... LastLast
Results 6,821 to 6,840 of 7223

Thread: Get Your Grump on Thursdays - Was (What's chapping my @ss today?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Things aren't right.

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    Hi Johnmdesigner, check this out!

Directed by the young Bill Paxton. Yeah that Bill Paxton.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Get Your Grump on Thursdays - Was (What's chapping my @ss today?)

Quote Originally Posted by Corso View Post
    I'll try to rangle you & mrs Jake an invite!
    Pencil it in for 2021?

Meanwhile, this is why we can't have nice (immunological) things: https://gothamist.com/news/state-iss...g-williamsburg
    Last edited by j44ke; 10-17-2020 at 09:16 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    Directed by the young Bill Paxton. Yeah that Bill Paxton.
    Ya, the tune was huge on Dr. Demento and a big part of my Sunday night ritual as a kid. The video is a window into the LA Art/Punk/New Wave scene of the 80s. The "Arts District" and Echo Park 15-25 years before the encroachment of development.

https://www.hauserwirth.com/location...th-los-angeles

More monstrous than a fish head:

https://www.mmaltzan.com/news/christ...-the-la-times/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Get Your Grump on Thursdays - Was (What's chapping my @ss today?)

One of the best things I ever did was buy the Dr. Demento 20th Anniversary Collection double CD set. My kids adored it, still do.

Another was the Grammar Rock and Multiplication Rock CDs, they were great when they were a little younger.

A poor decision was introducing them to Black Sabbath. Pulling into the church parking lot with Paranoid blasting over the Roadmaster wagon’s Bose 6x9’s while all the kids are headbanging does not engender kind looks from the older parishioners. Tsk tsk. They made me do it.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya, the tune was huge on Dr. Demento and a big part of my Sunday night ritual as a kid. The video is a window into the LA Art/Punk/New Wave scene of the 80s. The "Arts District" and Echo Park 15-25 years before the encroachment of development.

While I watched the vid I kept thinking of Pee Wee's Playhouse, now I know why.
    The older I get the faster I was Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    I just saw this. I think it was the summer of 1981, I was at a camp at Stapps Lakes in Colorado. Every Sunday night, we would all head to the cabin at the top of the hill, put the radio on the top shelf so it would get the right station, and enjoy Dr. Demento. Roly poly fishheads, dead puppies, rather have a bottle in front of me, what's a matter U?
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    I just saw this. I think it was the summer of 1981, I was at a camp at Stapps Lakes in Colorado. Every Sunday night, we would all head to the cabin at the top of the hill, put the radio on the top shelf so it would get the right station, and enjoy Dr. Demento. Roly poly fishheads, dead puppies, rather have a bottle in front of me, what's a matter U?
    Poisoning pigeons in the park..........................
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnmdesigner View Post
    Lately at 3am I have been waking up with some strange music in my head.
    Last week it was the theme from "The Big Valley". Why I don't know. It drives me crazy.
    Last night was Wazmo. A bit more understandable as I was a design intern at Sears(!) in 1979.
    My first time in the big city. The offices were as grim as Neo's before he took the pill.
    But most of the staff had serious pot addictions so we spent our evenings on Belmont Avenue club hopping.
    I started wearing 2 neckties to work until my boss told me to knock it off.

Johnmdesigner, check this out!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll do pushups, I need them. Actually in the theme of music as above, it reminded me of 'I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused' because I did start laughing. I'm riding along and I see one of those portable highway signs flashing something and some trucks parked and I think OK, what's my detour around this assuming the road is closed. As I get closer and I pass the permanent sign saying "Vischer Ferry Nature Preserve" I see that the sign is flashing "Vischer Ferry Preserve closed October 17 to October 24" (page 1) "for duck hunting" (page 2).

Well, shucks, if you needed two pages you could have fit "Nature" in there, no?
    Tom Ambros

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Sackler family gets to pay a fine it won't even notice because its ancestors did such a good job of creating the opioid crisis.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, it's Thursday, I think. So upcoming is the biggest holiday of the year around here. Yes, Halloween. So this year with the virus, the recommendation for the trick or treaters is to put the treats out in little bags. So we figured that's a good idea. And do similarly what we do normally - mark one set "Nuts" and one "No nuts" so kids with allergies are good. And then I thought for a joke put "Dime for UNICEF" on a couple. Karen pointed out none of the kids would get it. What's chapping my ass is that probably only the grandparents would get it...
    Tom Ambros

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

after tomorrow, wifey and i will officially no longer be able to have kids. unless my uncle has a son, i'll be the last of my name. bums me out pretty bad, and i'm really kind of struggling with it. i suppose adoption is always an option.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    after tomorrow, wifey and i will officially no longer be able to have kids. unless my uncle has a son, i'll be the last of my name. bums me out pretty bad, and i'm really kind of struggling with it. i suppose adoption is always an option.
    Sorry, man. The internal drive to procreate is pretty strong and can certainly wreak havoc with our emotional state. You have my sincere sympathy.

Note that I am not suggesting anything could fill that void, but I can say for certain that mentoring a child that's not your own can be incredibly impactful on and for the life of that child and can be powerfully positive for that child, your community, and you and your spouse. I would encourage anyone to see if volunteering with Big Brothers Big Sisters may be right for them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
    Sorry, man. The internal drive to procreate is pretty strong and can certainly wreak havoc with our emotional state. You have my sincere sympathy.

Note that I am not suggesting anything could fill that void, but I can say for certain that mentoring a child that's not your own can be incredibly impactful on and for the life of that child and can be powerfully positive for that child, your community, and you and your spouse. I would encourage anyone to see if volunteering with Big Brothers Big Sisters may be right for them.
    We've got 2 step-kids from wifey's first marriage, so we have little ones running around (not so little...13 and 15). They do prefer their biological father, however, as he's very much more into what they are (gaming). I'm the disciplinarian. Once they're older, I believe they'll come around and see why I am more strict on school work (yes, you do need to retake the test you made a 56 on) and daily doings (yes, you do need to clean up the apple juice you spilled on the floor) than he appears to be. We got the short end of the stick, as we have them during the week (aka school), and he's got them on weekends (aka ...weekends). Still...there's the desire to mold a child into a better version of you, and to have an impact on the world.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    We've got 2 step-kids from wifey's first marriage, so we have little ones running around (not so little...13 and 15). They do prefer their biological father, however, as he's very much more into what they are (gaming). I'm the disciplinarian. Once they're older, I believe they'll come around and see why I am more strict on school work (yes, you do need to retake the test you made a 56 on) and daily doings (yes, you do need to clean up the apple juice you spilled on the floor) than he appears to be. We got the short end of the stick, as we have them during the week (aka school), and he's got them on weekends (aka ...weekends). Still...there's the desire to mold a child into a better version of you, and to have an impact on the world.
    Other than genetics, raise the kids you wanted to be. From age 12-18, I was THE parent for my son, his mom was no longer interested in parenting. Other than work, my focus became experiences for my son, mentoring, and helping him to make good decisions. I would think of the parenting I didn't get or the things I missed out on, and then figure out a way to not do that with my kid. The only thing that bums me out these days is him not taking up cycling until college. We could have had some great rides and he would actually have a clue how a bike worked. I think your steps will realize who their daddy is at some point.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another new low for the Post and humanity in general.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/28/las-ve...ls-out-of-van/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This has been bothering me for a week, but today is Thursday, so I will vent.

My daughter complained that she was followed home by a car so closely that she could not see the headlights.

A few nights later someone drove up to the house and stuck an ice pick through a car tire.

Next night someone left a dead raccoon at the bottom of the driveway.

Next night a pumpkin was left in the same spot.

Next night another tire was flatted.

The worst part was not having a clue who could be doing this.

Turns out its a guy who used to live up the road, now in his fifties, pissed that others now live in the house, pissed that others live down the road. He's done this to several neighbors as well, hazing them and their children when they are driving, flatting tires, the works.

Another angry white man.

The cops will take care of this.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post

My daughter complained that she was followed home by a car so closely that she could not see the headlights.

A few nights later someone drove up to the house and stuck an ice pick through a car tire.

Turns out its a guy who used to live up the road, now in his fifties, pissed that others now live in the house, pissed that others live down the road. He's done this to several neighbors as well, hazing them and their children when they are driving, flatting tires, the works.

Another angry white man.

Jesus I’m sorry to hear this.
    It’s one of the reasons we haven’t considered a house in the country.
    Put up some deer cameras and nail this guy’s ass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post

Another angry white man.

What. The. Hell.
    I admire your restraint.

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very, very sorry to hear this. He sounds depraved and I hope it gets handled definitively for the safety of your family and community. Not sure what his skin tone has to do with it.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA