User Tag List

Page 336 of 362 FirstFirst ... 326327328329330331332333334335336337338339340341342343344345346 ... LastLast
Results 6,701 to 6,720 of 7223

Thread: Get Your Grump on Thursdays - Was (What's chapping my @ss today?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Get Your Grump on Thursdays - Was (What's chapping my @ss today?)

That's some funny stuff there. Yesterday on the company home page there was an article about how the company facilitated the Peloton IPO. Or something, I didn't read the article. I was too busy changing my workstation's wallpaper from a picture of one of my bikes out on the road to a picture of my cat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I meant to post this on the day: I broke a venerable skate ski, an Atomic Beta that had served me well for a very long time and which I had recently skied beautifully on. There's little snow here, but more than enough to get out with the dogs in Hawley State Forest. A sled or two had made a decent track, but I strayed from it on a descent to slow myself down without having to snowplow, which sort of sets the dogs on edge, and punched through into an ice culvert and that was that. Luckily the tip did not break off, or the trip back to the car would have been really tough. I had another pair of skis and continued to wear Fletcher and Whiskey out. So not a bad day, but I will miss those skis.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dunno if this should go here or in Oxygen Depraved, but it sure looks like I'm gonna find out what it's like trying to ride while for the next six weeks they shoot 60 centigrays through my vocal cords. After months of not being able to talk the surgery works great and then wouldn't you know they want to screw that all up again. Dorks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two dudes rolled up to our workshop last week and pulled guns on my shop mate as he was leaving (he's un-hurt).
    Police think the shop was targeted — 3pm on a Monday, across the street from a school — and, because of how things went down, they'll come back.

Crime like that has gone up in industrial areas since "grow operations" have started moving in.
    Rents have skyrocketed since "grow operations" have started moving in.
    We're looking at a 50-100% increase in rent while losing 1/4 - 1/3 of the space we have now.

He's alive. I keep telling myself that that's all that counts. But I sure wish this was just a mugging.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diagnosed with coronary disease unexpectedly. Been feeling fine but approaching 60 and want to keep racing cx and riding hard so I went for screening (calcium scoring). Had one friend drop dead at a race (at 74) and another with unexpected disease and there's a reasonable evidence base to screen me, especially with a positive family history (but they smoked, ate crap, and didn't exercise). Won't belabor the details, but a lot more disease than I expected for my age, lifestyle, and generally Mediterranean diet. I'm a doc with some overlapping expertise and quickly upped my knowledge base on the subject of heart disease in masters athletes. Also have a great cardiologist in my own shop who gets it and I will rely on for advice (hard to be objective treating yourself). Going for some more functional testing (stress echo) tomorrow. Very unlikely to need anything invasive, just meds and whatever minimal improvements in diet are possible. I don't have anything life or longevity threatening, but nonetheless I'm a bit angry and depressed. On a positive note, the combination of coronary disease and asthma probably explains why I've never been able to get out of the back third of the pack in any race! And I'm still doing the Sourlands Semi-Classic on Sunday, barring unexpected flunk on stress echo.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The damn tubes!
    Recently I used the Google machine to look up some song lyrics.
    After coming up with several versions that did not align with my memory, I searched for a record sleeve somewhere in my house.
    After reading the lyrics on the original 33rpm cover I realized that most of the search results must be derived from some voice translation software.
    If one cannot rely on the web to provide something so simple.................
    Now get the F off my lawn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ldamelio View Post
    Diagnosed with coronary disease unexpectedly. Been feeling fine but approaching 60 and want to keep racing cx and riding hard so I went for screening (calcium scoring). Had one friend drop dead at a race (at 74) and another with unexpected disease and there's a reasonable evidence base to screen me, especially with a positive family history (but they smoked, ate crap, and didn't exercise). Won't belabor the details, but a lot more disease than I expected for my age, lifestyle, and generally Mediterranean diet. I'm a doc with some overlapping expertise and quickly upped my knowledge base on the subject of heart disease in masters athletes. Also have a great cardiologist in my own shop who gets it and I will rely on for advice (hard to be objective treating yourself). Going for some more functional testing (stress echo) tomorrow. Very unlikely to need anything invasive, just meds and whatever minimal improvements in diet are possible. I don't have anything life or longevity threatening, but nonetheless I'm a bit angry and depressed. On a positive note, the combination of coronary disease and asthma probably explains why I've never been able to get out of the back third of the pack in any race! And I'm still doing the Sourlands Semi-Classic on Sunday, barring unexpected flunk on stress echo.
    That sucks. Best of luck getting things back in order...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Guy. Update - which probably belongs in the Friday thread, is that I had a perfect stress echo and an excellent Semi-Classic yesterday. I didn't go over 90% on the climbs, but felt good. My cardiologist tells me I'm OK for anything I want to do. Just a matter of increasing my statin to get my lipids super low and tightening my already good diet. It's still on my mind, but in the scheme of things, it was better to find out and adjust accordingly rather than going on feeling good and having something bad happen in a decade or so. And I know it's not Thursday. I will gladly do the push ups.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ldamelio View Post
    Thanks, Guy. Update - which probably belongs in the Friday thread, is that I had a perfect stress echo and an excellent Semi-Classic yesterday. I didn't go over 90% on the climbs, but felt good. My cardiologist tells me I'm OK for anything I want to do. Just a matter of increasing my statin to get my lipids super low and tightening my already good diet. It's still on my mind, but in the scheme of things, it was better to find out and adjust accordingly rather than going on feeling good and having something bad happen in a decade or so. And I know it's not Thursday. I will gladly do the push ups.
    Splendid news!
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I killed a neighbor's dog as I drove home last night. She was walking on a gravel road almost no one lives on and was within sight of her home and let her dog off the leash, not realizing there was a deer nearby. I was driving my winter beater 2003 Golf with five dogs inside.

All sorts of what ifs, some of which include rolling the car or hitting a tree. Another foot and no harm no foul.

I carried her dog to her house. They said it wasn't my fault. Doesn't help to know, really.

It's always the things you don't see coming...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ Sorry for all of you. Glad all of your passengers are safe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    I killed a neighbor's dog as I drove home last night. She was walking on a gravel road almost no one lives on and was within sight of her home and let her dog off the leash, not realizing there was a deer nearby. I was driving my winter beater 2003 Golf with five dogs inside.

All sorts of what ifs, some of which include rolling the car or hitting a tree. Another foot and no harm no foul.

I carried her dog to her house. They said it wasn't my fault. Doesn't help to know, really.

Oh man that is so painful. Nothing like a good sharp kick in the tender bits when chaos cup is filled to overflowing...
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey so it's Thursday in Mali West Africa. I've been locked down in hotel rooms for six weeks because of terrorist threats. Supposed to fly back to SFO on Sunday through Paris. Man-child POTUS decides to announce a total ban on European flights effective tomorrow. I panic and purchase a last minute very expensive ticket on my own dime routed through the Middle East and totally fucking up my final business meetings that may end up destroying months of work. POTUS baby sitters explain to him what's up and he changes his mind a few minutes later that he will allow travel from Europe, but only Americans and only after an undetermined "special assessment", meaning what exactly Dog knows- a laser thermometer scan through immigration? 2 weeks of forced quarantine? Detained until tests are available? I'm looking forward to 34 hours in an economy seat, in the middle (of course). Returning home, I'll 5 miles away from the black plague cruise ship docked in Oakland. Fuck I want my bike! And some tacos. And a legit beer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post

Exactly this thing happened to me more than 30 years ago and I still remember the details like yesterday. You're still a good person. Pay it forward.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Grainger is out of hand sanitizer refills.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    Grainger is out of hand sanitizer refills.
    Yo, mix a 60% solution of alcohol in aloe vera. Done.

Last edited by j44ke; 03-12-2020 at 11:00 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Yo, mix a 60% solution of alcohol in aloe vera. Done.

Almost 700 employees. I'm thinking about one of those 2 gallon sprayers filled with alcohol.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People have gone insane.
    Was out for my "regular" grocery shopping and there was literally no ground turkey or ground beef.

Attachment 114819 Attachment 114820

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tofu and beans!
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Tofu and beans!
    sold out too and two different supermarkets. pasta, rice, and other staples all gone.