User Tag List

Page 267 of 362 FirstFirst ... 257258259260261262263264265266267268269270271272273274275276277 ... LastLast
Results 5,321 to 5,340 of 7224

Thread: Get Your Grump on Thursdays - Was (What's chapping my @ss today?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Get Your Grump on Thursdays - Was (What's chapping my @ss today?)

Two.

First, me. I stayed up too late and didn't sleep to recover enough to get out for 100 minutes before work and its freaking gorgeous out there. Both hands cramping up and all grumpy tells me don't go out there.

Second, work idiots. So I need users to do something. For six weeks every user that needs to a four step security change to a piece of desktop software gets an email describing the situation and why they need to do it with instructions linked. Finally we're getting down to the wire so I invite the 240 or so remaining users to webex working session meetings 25 at a time to walk them through it. I figure people hate meetings so they'll follow the linked instructions and be done. I get about 5 per, max, and the rest basically don't respond. So I figure OK, not trying to schedule availability ain't cutting it. So for the remaining ones, after the second wave of "second chance" webex meetings, I schedule eight one hour sessions inviting all of the users to each one with instructions to accept the one they can get to and reject the rest. So I get responses demanding that I remove people from the sessions. I reply that's fine, but your system access won't work in two weeks. I get a phone call from the person. They let me know that their department pretty much (1) ignored the emails, (2) ignored the meeting invitations and (3) basically never read any of them because they have no idea what I am talking about. F-ing 140 character world we live in. Complete sentences? Paragraphs? Horrors!

Then there's the technician that was in one that first asked for the instructions (uh, dude, that was the link that said 'follow this link to see the instructions') and then said he didn't see in the instructions how to tell if he needed to do the steps (uh, dude, that was the second paragraph of the first page that started 'But first, how do I know if I need to do this?' including screen shots replete with circles and arrows.) Lazy SOB.

And to you IT guys that are saying "Why don't you just push the change?" Desktop Engineering tried. And the change was regressed because of the way the software closes itself at end of day. And there's no standardization whatsoever on the desktops so the folders could be anywhere. And when they did the Win7 project they missed that you could run old configurations with a different extension so desktop shortcuts no longer work when the security is implemented.

And I'm a mainframe guy. I like standards. I also don't just stride briskly away when something doesn't work the way I expect it to, like some other groups around here. So I do desktop engineering. And that's cause even though it is fictional money they would charge time to the project and the project doesn't have this fictional money appropriated to spend. Even though it doesn't exist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. working out the logistics in a car trade with a friend has me driving all over the place. which means I haven't been on the bike much this week.

2. Our office is connected to all of the other city buildings and controlled remotely. for such a complex system you would think it works well - it doesn't. there have been days where its been 27C inside and 20-21 outside. today is one of those days, super hot in here.
    Matt Moore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the 2 people killed this week was a classmate of mine from college. Although we didn’t keep in touch after graduation, we were classmates in the design program. He went on to be an Art teacher. Great guy.

George was having a beer with his wife on minute, gone the next. He went to the aide of a waitress who was stabbed by the killer, and lost his life…

Many of us may have done the same thing…. F**ck…

I messed up my knee the other day, can’t walk very well, let alone ride. Now feel like a grand loser for thinking I had a problem...

Just everyone be careful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
    I know this is a stupid first world problem given some of the posts above. It has messed with my Thursday and the next few weeks.

The tracking says the Boras arrived in the US from Italy on Monday. They still haven't left customs or somehow the shipping folks have stopped tracking them. I guess I am not supposed to question why they call it priority express. If I had known it was going to be this long in US customs I would have shipped them to Canada and brought the Zetti there with the other bits to build it up there as I am going there for a few weeks in the morning.
    See also: "First Class" USPS.

Given some other posts, I don't feel so bad about yesterday's repair-related chainring/finger incidents.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People who ride on bike paths with 1000+ lumen blinking lights. I mean WTF, they kill my night vision as these people do not cover their lights when they in the opposite direction that I am going.
    life is too short to drink bad wine....

Stuart Levy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right Hooks.

Why is too damn much work to actually turn your head and look over your right shoulder?

Really, why??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My company sent out an Events schedule a few months ago - Tradeshows and the like, who is scheduled for each, etc... I hate traveling for wrk, I hate Tradeshows/Conferences even more, but that's life so I plan accordingly. My grump: they add events as it occurs to them w/no thought, apparently, and certainly no consulting the folks it effects. It's infuriating.
    you're not the lord of the flies

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corso View Post
    One of the 2 people killed this week was a classmate of mine from college. Although we didn’t keep in touch after graduation, we were classmates in the design program. He went on to be an Art teacher. Great guy.

George was having a beer with his wife on minute, gone the next. He went to the aide of a waitress who was stabbed by the killer, and lost his life…

Many of us may have done the same thing…. F**ck…

I messed up my knee the other day, can’t walk very well, let alone ride. Now feel like a grand loser for thinking I had a problem...

Just everyone be careful.
    I read a profile of him in the Globe this morning. He sounds like he was a great guy. And, of course, his last actions pretty much proved it.

My deep, sincere condolences for your loss. I am so sorry.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So apparently AT&T was screwing me and a few million users for 5 years and felt the need to issue a $0.59 check to me as part of a class action suit...I might just frame this one and keep it to remind me how effed up the system can be sometimes.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post

So apparently AT&T was screwing me and a few million users for 5 years and felt the need to issue a $0.59 check to me as part of a class action suit...I might just frame this one and keep it to remind me how effed up the system can be sometimes.
    Wait I got $22.00 out of it... I must be paying too much.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People on road bikes who assume a right hand turn lane means it doesn't actually matter if I have the right of way ...

I had a very pleasant 8 km walk home.

Went out to. Heck the garden, bring some stuff in for salad and stepped in a big pile of bear poop. I least I know what the dog was barking at on Tuesday night.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wife has had surgery scheduled for a while now. It's in 14 days. We JUST FOUND OUT TODAY that the damn hospital isn't covered by her insurance. The dr is. The anesthesiologist is. The facility? NOPE. And it's the only stupid ass facility that has the equipment the dr needs. No one at any point in time was aware that the hospital was not covered and we only found out because a friend had to cancel her spinal surgery scheduled for next week due to the same reason.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Three girls I've gone on dates with recently are gluten free!! WTF? How can I cook for these people... plus, the one I like is lactose intolerant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thunderstorms and a cold are conspiring to keep me from riding. Not riding is lame.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shinomaster View Post
    Three girls I've gone on dates with recently are gluten free!! WTF? How can I cook for these people... plus, the one I like is lactose intolerant.
    My wife is celiac. It's a challenge but you can ultimately get quite creative. The biggest casualty for us has been good pizza. GF pizza is either bad, acceptable, or decent. It's never great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shinomaster View Post
    Are they hot? Ultimately, that's all that matters.
    you're not the lord of the flies

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they have to be if they live gluten free by choice.
    Matt Moore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Thunderstorms and a cold are conspiring to keep me from riding. Not riding is lame.
    Yes! That's it. Thunderstorms are keeping me from riding, not the inability to wake up before 6AM on a weekday.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most immediate grump is ATOC not broadcasting the women's race on their site. Live video of a bike race around Lake Tahoe with the top riders in the world, nah. Should have doped on EPO en masse if you wanted favors down the road ladies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    My wife is celiac. It's a challenge but you can ultimately get quite creative. The biggest casualty for us has been good pizza. GF pizza is either bad, acceptable, or decent. It's never great.
    I'm cooking Indian food tonight with lactose free yogurt and pilav and salad ( grilled tandoori chicken). I just can't believe I've met three! The hot bike racer is not gluten free, and can out-drink me.