User Tag List

Page 198 of 362 FirstFirst ... 188189190191192193194195196197198199200201202203204205206207208 ... LastLast
Results 3,941 to 3,960 of 7224

Thread: Get Your Grump on Thursdays - Was (What's chapping my @ss today?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Get Your Grump on Thursdays - Was (What's chapping my @ss today?)

Gosh, I just found out that the wool socks I bought in bulk could have been had for much less! Drat!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyhillrambler View Post
    I am/have been going exactly thru this. Got a weird bronchial thing back in August when i was in chicago. Crazy shit messing up my health after that. I friend is an ENT and told me about this, LPR which is silent reflux. A little different, no heartburn, just a lot of other nasal, and stomach acid problems. I battle with it everyday, and my diet has been the only thing that has helped. Switching to a low acid diet, which is basically a vegetarian diet. I was very strict vegetarian for 20 years, but have found it hard to go back. And apparently, beer is the worst thing for this. HOLY SHIT!!! i hate it.

Jorn. do you have this condition?

o
    My doctor makes a pretty persuasive case that I do. I say that because there is a lot of argument about it. And because some pretty good selling drugs on the market are the proton inhibitors that treat this (though I will say that my doctor is not beholden to pharma marketing - she's very much a no-drug doctor so when she says use it, I pretty well know it is for my own good.) So I have some skepticism about the whole thing, EXCEPT that I now score pretty high on the RSI test for silent reflux and have been unable otherwise to get rid of my cough and asthma-like symptoms (which have actually been a little scary a couple times.) We tried the Reflux Cookbook, but it became reasonably apparent that the recipes in that cookbook require near constant grocery shopping and a love of ginger, so we've taken it as an advisory manual and have eliminated everything that I enjoy from my diet, which basically means coffee, all Italian food and all Mexican food. So far in my one month trial run reducing acidic food in my diet, I basically have been eating Japanese-type vegetarian food, beans, whole grains and a lot of kale. The result is that my symptoms are reduced but not completely eliminated, and I am hungry all the effing time. So that probably means it is working. Yay.

So my grump is that I would really like a burrito and a pizza right now. Maybe even a pizza burrito or a burrito pizza. Or both. Twice.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shinomaster View Post
    Gosh, I just found out that the wool socks I bought in bulk could have been had for much less! Drat!!
    uh, do tell. I like wool socks.

To tie that into my grump - the thermostat in my office building is ruled by the person who sits closest to it. Her temperature preferences are far different from the rest of us. She keeps a fan running under her desk at all times. The rest of us wear sweaters and jackets indoors, all year 'round.

Today she countered a request by a coworker to adjust the thermostat by pointing out that I wasn't wearing the wool skull cap I keep at my desk. I didn't bother pointing out the fact that I'm wearing a jacket, thick wool hiking socks, and full length thermal underwear over my entire body.

So, seriously, hook a brother up. Where are these cheap wool socks?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

another 50 F__k_ing miles on the trainer. I want to ride outside.
    life is too short to drink bad wine....

Stuart Levy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    I am perplexed by the need to document everything. What's next in-toilet cams?

Are we just pandering to our own narcissism?
    In the words of the immortal Annie Clark (who should really write some responses to my love letters and marry me already) - "If I can't show it, if you can't see me/what's the point of doing anything?"
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    My doctor makes a pretty persuasive case that I do. I say that because there is a lot of argument about it. And because some pretty good selling drugs on the market are the proton inhibitors that treat this (though I will say that my doctor is not beholden to pharma marketing - she's very much a no-drug doctor so when she says use it, I pretty well know it is for my own good.) So I have some skepticism about the whole thing, EXCEPT that I now score pretty high on the RSI test for silent reflux and have been unable otherwise to get rid of my cough and asthma-like symptoms (which have actually been a little scary a couple times.) We tried the Reflux Cookbook, but it became reasonably apparent that the recipes in that cookbook require near constant grocery shopping and a love of ginger, so we've taken it as an advisory manual and have eliminated everything that I enjoy from my diet, which basically means coffee, all Italian food and all Mexican food. So far in my one month trial run reducing acidic food in my diet, I basically have been eating Japanese-type vegetarian food, beans, whole grains and a lot of kale. The result is that my symptoms are reduced but not completely eliminated, and I am hungry all the effing time. So that probably means it is working. Yay.

So my grump is that I would really like a burrito and a pizza right now. Maybe even a pizza burrito or a burrito pizza. Or both. Twice.
    If I have what you have, and my choice giving up pizza, burritos and beer or constantly clearing my throat and coughing, I'm going to have a hard time deciding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another 8" of snow on the Cape! Shoveled driveway again. 1.32 miles in January!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I had a great year going, all kinds of gravel and road miles and then the weather went to hell. Now I've been indoors for the last two plus weeks. I replaced the cables on the Argonaut because they were 4 years old. When I removed the old cables, they looked perfect, no broken strands or anything that indicated imminent failure. But since I had it all apart and a campy cable kit, I went ahead and replaced it all. I also replaced the bars, stem, and handlebar tape. It all worked well in the stand. The chain and cassette are new too. I head off to AZ on Sunday for a full week of riding. Between now and then, I have to take the bike out for a ride to make sure it all works. No reason why it wouldn't, I'd just feel better heading off on a trip to know for sure. We got 5" of snow last night.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by znfdl View Post
    another 50 F__k_ing miles on the trainer. I want to ride outside.
    Stu, the guest room is always available to you.

Took myself to the ER midnight Saturday with a hellacious case of pinkeye. Got meds and have been pounding antibiotic drops into my eyes since. Sick all last week and still lingering this week, sinus congestion and lingering cough, just enough to be a nuisance. Eye infection + sick means no riding, as I can't wear my contact lenses and by extension can't wear sunglasses.
    Got a ticket yesterday riding the moto in a bs pedestrian safety cop sting. I have to go to court on that, no option to pay the fine. It's just a couple blocks from work, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

spring will happen.spring will happen.spring will happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FSonicSmith View Post
    I may be border-line misogynistic, but I am sick of young women wearing boots up to what my grandmother would call the "pupik". It seems like absolute one-upwomanship as to who can brandish the highest and most lavish looking pair of boots. I hate the look, I hate the pretension, and I especially hate the inherent mini-goose-stepping stride that comes with them. I keep thinking that like most women's fads, it can't last too much longer and I keep being proven incorrect.
    Sparkly pocket ass jeans, especially on fat ass non-sparkly women.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's almost Thursday so I'm starting.

It's been almost three weeks I've been painting this house and getting it ready for selling and I still haven't started outside yet. The ends justifies the means though.

It's coincedently been three weeks since I picked up a file or the torch. I think that's where most of my angst lies.

Jorn,

I use Omepreazole 20mg daily for my over supply of acid and a weak stomach valve. It's been a revelation for me. I basically can eat anything except for cucumber now where as before it was a very bland diet. I have noticed a hard to clear throat at times and the symptons you describe make sense to me now. I would say it pops up when I forget the meds.

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post

"Even my farts smell like steel!" - Diel

"Make something with your hands. Not with your money." - Dario

Sean Doyle

www.devlincc.com

https://www.instagram.com/devlincustomcycles/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139142779@N05/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by devlin View Post
    Jorn,

I use Omepreazole 20mg daily for my over supply of acid and a weak stomach valve. It's been a revelation for me. I basically can eat anything except for cucumber now where as before it was a very bland diet. I have noticed a hard to clear throat at times and the symptons you describe make sense to me now. I would say it pops up when I forget the meds.
    I'm on that dosage too. I just have to take Calcium/Vitamin D alongside it to prevent any bone mass difficulties. Just before I got this nasty flu (let that be a lesson to me) I mentioned to my wife that I felt pretty good. I think the omepreazole takes a while to make a difference, and this is the first time I have gone cold turkey with the other things, primary among them coffee, carbonated beverages, citrus and tomato/garlic/onion. I've also recently come to understand that the specific asthma-like reactions I have are more likely to be vocal cord dysfunction or VCD, which can be caused by strenuous exercise, breathing cold air and silent reflux, so that may change things. I have a doctor's appointment next week. We'll see what she says.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Counting 'created shipping label' as 'shipped'

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Riding seems to make me want to ride more. It's an escape, an outlet of sorts. When I get five hours in a week, I want ten. If I get eight I want eighteen. Add to it the fact that I've got two young kids and a pregnant wife, both of us are working full time, and time is tight. I can never ride enough, and I become resentful. I'll admit it; I'm selfish.

So this week I decided to say "fuck it, I won't ride" and the resentment starts to go away. The scheming little voice in the back of my head stopped trying to figure out when and how long I can ride. Given what is coming in the next year, I think I need to hang up the bikes for a while. I have to figure out how to enjoy watching a four year old at swimming lessons or going to a fucking bowling alley on a sunny 60 degree day in the spring.

Lots of things about being a parent kinda blow, but it's not optional like the riding. Now I gotta figure out how to enjoy it more. Maybe 10-20 pounds of fat draped onto my skeleton will help? Pass the beer.
    Jason Babcock

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a grump, but a reply to Jason. Your kids only grow up once. I missed it completely for career - not out of selfishness or workaholism, just the nature of the beast. I spent many a birthday, holiday, back-to-school night, dance recital, soccer game, etc. in the operating room or trauma bay. It's by far my biggest regret in life even though all three kids (29,26,24) came out perfect (thanks to my wife) and we have beautiful relationships as adults. Less riding will be OK. You made the right decision regarding mindset - I know what you're feeling with what you described as 'scheming.'. You will find that by letting it go, karma (pardon the kitsch) will kick in and you will get many unexpected opportunities to ride and you will enjoy them more while on the bike, and no ambivalence/guilt after.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the grumpy nature of Thursday, posts like this are at least as offensive as that darn bike I NEVER saw at NAHBS last week. I am not defending that bike. (I never saw it...so kudo's to all the media who decided not to give it press!), but this post is one reason why women do not feel welcome here.
    Additionally, I can't remember who said it, but I saw one of the responses as "we give women 23 hours to feel appreciated and we blew it!" Really? You give us 23 hours? That too is part of the problem. I NEVER do women's rants. I have been playing in the bike biz for decades and so I know the drill. But the holier than thou rants about women's rights and being appalled at the bike (which I NEVER SAW until I came here) feels very hypocritical.

Yes...it is Thursday. I have my two year scans today and I am terrified and grumpy too. I love this place. And I am just playing the grumpy thursday game. No harm no foul. I am wearing sparkly pocket jeans to my doctor's appointment today! RANT RANT

Quote Originally Posted by Sbti View Post
    Sparkly pocket ass jeans, especially on fat ass non-sparkly women.
    Joni Taylor * TEXmarket-USA * www.texmarket-usa.com
    Build to order, European Production of Cycling, Running and Triathlon Apparel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taylorj View Post
    In the grumpy nature of Thursday, posts like this are at least as offensive as that darn bike I NEVER saw at NAHBS last week. I am not defending that bike. (I never saw it...so kudo's to all the media who decided not to give it press!), but this post is one reason why women do not feel welcome here.
    Additionally, I can't remember who said it, but I saw one of the responses as "we give women 23 hours to feel appreciated and we blew it!" Really? You give us 23 hours? That too is part of the problem. I NEVER do women's rants. I have been playing in the bike biz for decades and so I know the drill. But the holier than thou rants about women's rights and being appalled at the bike (which I NEVER SAW until I came here) feels very hypocritical.

Yes...it is Thursday. I have my two year scans today and I am terrified and grumpy too. I love this place. And I am just playing the grumpy thursday game. No harm no foul. I am wearing sparkly pocket jeans to my doctor's appointment today! RANT RANT
    Here, here. Saw the quoted text and had similar thoughts.

I'm grumpy about a fall that blew up my right shift lever yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Received my lease renewal from my landlord (who's a douche in general). Standard procedure, standard wordings, but two things lit me up about it.

"We would like to make you aware of an upcoming project within your apartment. In an effort to reduce the noise transmission between apartments we will be installing carpeting within your apartment's living room and master bedroom. for this work to occur; we will require you to vacate the apartment for approximately one week. Our hope is to have this work completed during your vacation as was the case last year. we will need you to temporarily relocate your personal belongings from these areas for the installation to occur. although, we understand this must be an inconvenience to you; it is our hope the noise levels between apartments would be significantly reduced."

Now, we've been living there since 12/2013, and upon starting to move our small things in, they complained about noise. We discussed carpet then. They opted against it. Now, they want to put carpet down, can't have a man to man conversation about it, and want to both relocated myself, my wife, and two small children for 7 days, AND ask me to move the furniture? Uhm no. You had the opportunity to do this when the place was empty, you need to pay to have the furniture moved during the install.

Additionally, they're only giving us 7 days to review and decide if we're continuing to live there. Which, after my wife spent close to an hour crying over this, the BS that they always pull (like asking me to keep my 2-year-old daughter from moving about the unit until after 8am, putting a note on the door as a gentle reminder to close the front door quietly (especially in the mornings!), etc...) now we're strapped looking for a new place. And my wife, being that she can't seem to hand the stress of any sort of confrontation with this, is of the mindset that we need to rent a single family house.

Listen, I'm all for it, but the cost of renting a single family house in bergen county doesn't exactly work with my salary limitations.. i already work a full time and a part time. i'm tired. our plan was to get through one more year of renting here (because the rent is actually quite affordable for what we have), continue to pay off my wife's student loans, and buy next year. but since there are variables involved there, and i cannot guarantee my wife that we can be in that position, this is our new option.

just stress, man.

And I miss bikes. I haven't ridden outside but once this year, haven't ridden on the trainer but maybe two times... (see: landlord -> noise issues)

On the plus side, had a great night at the restaurant last night, lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every time it seems like I'm taking a step forward at work it ends up being a step into the line of fire for a kick to the gut. The simple stuff shouldn't be such a fight everyday.