Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have Type 1 diabetes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I have Type 1 diabetes

and it's been a fascinating experience watching the healthcare professionals try and work out what was going on and how I felt completely fine with the blood glucose levels they were seeing.

I low carbed to get myself out of danger (on Sulfonylurea) and started insulin injections last week. I've been inspired by Team Type 1 and the various athletes I've found across the world who do amazing things while living with the condition.

I just thought I'd post it here, not entirely sure why. Certainly not looking for sympathy as it's been a real kick up the behind to get on with life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: I have Type 1 diabetes

I am glad to hear you found the root of it all- sometimes diagnosis brings great relief as it at least gives the map to good health.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get an insulin pump as soon as your doctor will allow. Pumps make everything easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good to have an answer antlockyer.
    now you know how to proceed with living.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The pump is something I'll discuss as soon as we get my numbers somewhere sensible. The plus side is I got back down to a decent weight, jsut need to keep it off :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had the same for going on 27 years now. It's a pretty easy condition to live with, keep the excercise up and the fat intake down and you should have no worries.

Make sure you have a good endocrinologist and see an opthamologist once a year.

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I missed the preceding threads, but don't give up on the low carb diet. The idea is with fewer carbs you need less insulin, so less chance of going too low which is very dangerous, especially on the bike. A very good book that discusses this is Dr. Bernsteins Diabetes Solution.

I am a mild type I diabetic with unusually good insulin sensitivity (meaning I still make a little insulin), so I can control it with a low carb diet, exercise, and a drug called symlin that I inject. Symlin is a hormone that is co secreted with insulin. For me the hardest part to work out was how to eat on the bike. A book called the Paleo Diet for Athletes co written by Cyclist Joe Friel was helpful. PM me if you have any questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks it's good to hear. I've seen the Bernstein stuff and read the online chapters. I lived by the Paleo for athletes book for about a year, my wife has been amazing with understanding what we can eat and she's enjoyed the low carb diet.

For me I'm following the starchy carbs with each meal advice my medical people have given me just until I have my basal bolus regime sorted then I'l reduce the carbs and the bolus insulin.

Will definitely PM any Qs I can't find the answers to. Apparently my diabetic nutritionist is a cyclist although when she asked me how far I cycle/want to cycle I told her about PBP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very heartening that you've figured this out and are positive about how this will play out. Besides, you are OK with me ;)
    Now go kick some A&&

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ant, great attitude bud.

Consider seeking out some of the Team Type-1 riders on Facebook. We have a friend from the 'cross scene who races on the TT1 women's team, and she's always blasting out good, relevant info and personal anecdotes relating her experiences racing as a diabetic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

glad you have answers and can move forward. Hopefully you'll find some inspiration in this...BlindBikeTrials. I've known Matt since he was a shop kid and I'm quite proud of him.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well that explains alot.
    Just plow on thru it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone, I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do on a bike once I've got sorted. Been riding my MTB in the local woods and having a blast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when i get diagnosed with something-i go nutz learning 'bout it.

i know nothing of what you've read so far, but i read once in my early nutritional studies [wrt blood sugar and health] about the fact that it's not "carbs" per se, but only those that are rapidly assimilated. then that knowledge was used to begin to develop ways to measure blood changes wrt any particular carb-slower being better. these numbers were compiled into an index now called the "glycemic index."*

if i were diagnosed with a blood sugar disorder--this is the first avenue of research i'd explore again. i haven't heard anything "new" displace it yet, but i don't keep up. text to which i refer: The Glucose Revolution, Miller, Wolever, Colagiuri, Foster-Powell-1996. Joe Friel is quoted in the "praise for" section.

nearly all healthy whole foods are predominately composed of carbohydrate (and carbohydrate is the best fuel). i'd hate to turn against the lot.

*i have heard advertisers using "GI" in sales pitches-but know that it was not cooked up as a sales tool (iow worthless hogslobber), just something they appropriated to glorify whatever they were peddling.

Blasting the local MTB trails is a good way to live. Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks mate, I've immersed myself am up to about 120 hours of study so far in 6 weeks :)

Will check the book. Pulses, lentils, chick peas etc. are all good and do not require insulin shots to deal with (other than my long lasting stuff). I will get healthy on the lowest dose possible.

Thanks again I really appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep at it Ant! Enjoy the singletrack and keep the PMO flowing!
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The weekend was interesting as it was the first real excercise since starting insulin (I was running while on Gliclazide and doing 'OK').

when I left the house for the forest I check my BGs and was as low as I've ever been at 4.3mmol (77.4 mg/dl) I ate 2 wine gums, half a banana and half a pack of raisins so I didn't hypo while driving. I was back up to 9 (162) by the time we got there and ate a very carby lunch to prepare myself.

I rode a few red trails, did a buch of climbing, got lost, rode some slow and some fast. My legs were burning but I was barely breathing at time, I felt good. Anytime I stopped I felt a little light headed, but just chilled and it went away. After a while I met my wife and daughter and had an ice lolly and a slush puppy (was craving a coke). Played with the girls for a bit then rode some mroe trails. Probably jsut over 2 hours of riding and the rest of the time goofing about.

When we got home my BGs were back at 4.7mmol (84.6 mg/dl) a big dinner and I was at 9.0 (162) before bed.

Now it may not look well managed to the old hands but staying below 10 and not having a hypo while riding like that feels like a major breakthrough.

My morning numbers are still high and I'm gradualy pushing the basal up to see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started blogging about it as a way of getting things off my chest and hopefully providing a little education for others.

Ant Lockyer ? diabetic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ive been type one for almost 23 years and i cant figure out a good way to stash my pump underneath a skinsuit without pockets. maybe something like an hr monitor that it just clips to? im afraid of catching the exposed tube during mounts and dismounts during cx rides when the pump is just stashed in a jersey pocket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you are on the right track on the HR strap. I am not Type 1 but my daughter has been since she was 2. When she was in High School and played basketball, she would hang the pump on the back of her bra strap (the bb jersey she had was over that) so I that is why I think an HR strap made tight would work.

The other thing she did was put on extra tape over up the tube past where the infusion set and tubing met and also had a friend put tape over the tubing before it attached to the pump on the strap so any bouncing wouldn't pull it out/off. The tape she used was waterproof and looked somewhat like that packing tape that has fibers in it. I think it was made by 3M.
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast