Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Small Group Intervals: group race training goes here

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Small Group Intervals: group race training goes here

This is a game I teach when I get the chance.
    All you need is a critical mass of 6 as a minimum and you are good to go.
    Game goes like this:

"Take me to the break"
    1. Everyone knows the rules, break the rules and you don't get to play.
    2. Front and rear group rides at same speed, this is agreed on before the drill begins. Start conservatively than move the pace up.
    3. Two riders take off, it is the lead riders job to get his breakmate 1/2 way to "the break group" than pull off left or right and soft pedal to the back of the chase group. Lead rider drills it until they reach back of "break group"
    4. Continue until the chase group is "consumed" and now the game continues from the front...two riders take off....

SteveP - you have a million of these right? go!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Small Group Intervals: group race training goes here

20 years ago when I was a collegiate racer, we'd go out and do "sprint to the front" - works best with a group of about 10. It's just what it sounds like; single-file paceline, back guy pulls out and sprints to the front, next guy goes when he pulls into the paceline. Yes, the pace gets out of control quickly. That's kinda the point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jscott View Post
    20 years ago when I was a collegiate racer, we'd go out and do "sprint to the front" - works best with a group of about 10. It's just what it sounds like; single-file paceline, back guy pulls out and sprints to the front, next guy goes when he pulls into the paceline. Yes, the pace gets out of control quickly. That's kinda the point.
    Nice.

For young/inexperienced riders it's the opposite:

With "coach" riding behind the group to keep things working as follows:
    1. Double paceline at an agreed speed. Cascade is reverse tword the curb for safety and skills. Everyone in the drops 100% of the time.
    2. When riders reach the back of the cascade > Take off 1 gear, stand and transition to the left and sit, add a gear (easier).
    3. If "coach" sees riders who need harder work and do not need the drill you send them off the back 50 yards than they sprint to your rear wheel and soft pedal back 50 yards rinse and repeat until they are gassed. You can have multiple riders OTB thus having two drills going at once and one coach working a large group.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    This is a game I teach when I get the chance.
    All you need is a critical mass of 6 as a minimum and you are good to go.
    Game goes like this:

"Take me to the break"
    1. Everyone knows the rules, break the rules and you don't get to play.
    2. Front and rear group rides at same speed, this is agreed on before the drill begins. Start conservatively than move the pace up.
    3. Two riders take off, it is the lead riders job to get his breakmate 1/2 way to "the break group" than pull off left or right and soft pedal to the back of the chase group. Lead rider drills it until they reach back of "break group"
    4. Continue until the chase group is "consumed" and now the game continues from the front...two riders take off....

SteveP - you have a million of these right? go!

I need to find 5 good training partners.