Thread: Compressor requirements for blasting cabinet

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Compressor requirements for blasting cabinet

Hi,

we'd like to get a decent blasting cabinet setup in our shop and we've had lots of conflicting information about the spec of compressor we'd need.

The cabinet will be pretty well sealed, big enough for a frame (probably not a tandem). We'd like to use it to cleanup frames before paint as well as a few other jobs around the shop.
    Not sure about blast media yet and not sure how that impact compressor requirements. We *probably* wont be using air for anything else while we're using the blaster (we have a smaller compressor already).

Does anyone have any hard data on what works for them? Looking specifically for cfm/psi/hp ratings. I'm guess we need to go for the biggest tank/receiver we can get??

Hope you can help.

Cheers

Steven
    Steven Shand
    www.willowbike.com
    Handbuilt Bicycles - Scotland, UK

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Compressor requirements for blasting cabinet

If you haven't, check out tptools.com; in addition to selling all the components you need to build your own cabinet, their site/catalog has lots of useful information.

Yes, in terms of capacity, you pretty much want the largest volume tank you can get, and decent power. The one piece of the system that is absolutely critical is drying the air you use; it will make a big difference in performance/ease of use. Running steel pipe air lines with proper pitch helps, as does using multiple dryers, starting at the compressor and ending at the input into the cabinet. For media, I use TP "Skatblast"; relatively non-toxic, I think it's 80 grit, and holds up very well.

My compressor is very similar to this one and has been excellent:
    Porter-Cable C7550 5.4 HP Two-Stage 80 Gallon Oil-Lube Stationary Vertical Air Compressor

TP tools sells kits/instructions here:
    Abrasive Blasters - Kits - TP Tools & Equipment

JC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

...One other thing you'll want to think about is sound insulation if the compressor's going to be running a lot. You can build a box around the compressor with a little acoustic insulation or other foam inside; just make sure you run an air intake hose out through the box so you're pulling in room temp air, rather than warm air from inside. As long as you're not running the thing for hours at a time, you shouldn't run into heat problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used the TP tools kit to build my cabinet. It is 48"x30"x30". My compressor is an ingersol rand 3 horse, 60 gallon and does all right for my purposes but it gets pushed pretty hard. Next time I think I'll save up for a 5 horse 80 gallon. I'll mirror what others have said in that for blasting get as much compressor as you can especial if it will see regular use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you simply _cannot_ have too much air for blasting. a pal tells me of the screw-compressor (Archimedes i presume) that barrett (yeah that one) uses to drive all of their compressed air needs (in the mfg of war-like goods for the war-like nations of this world)

but it probably costs a zillion dollars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for info guys. I picked up a big compressor with 200 litre tank, 6HP (3 Phase) and rated as 28CFM. Hopefully that'll work for us.

Still undecided about what to do for a blasting cabinet but this guy's got me inspired to build my own!!

DAVE PROPST ARTICLES - Blast Cabinet Part 1

P3140998.jpg
    Steven Shand
    www.willowbike.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you end up needing more volume you can always add a reserve tank to the system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, but that puts off the inevitable. As soon as you use your given volume and the motor starts up, you're back to the motor's power level. It'll give you longer breaks and longer periods of work though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True- this is just a back up plan. Having a few hundred gallons of reserve can limit the down time, especially if you are planning your air use for a single operator.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just resurrecting this old old thread. I have sorted out our need for a compressor. Air at last. Good times. Anyway, a a follow-up does anyone have any experience of these blast cabinets?

ATLAS SBC420 Sandblast Cabinet

I assume they're asian imports but they look pretty good value for money. They're available over here in the UK as a different brand.

Cheers

Steven
    Steven Shand
    www.willowbike.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Not big enough for a full frame. I really recommend building your own using the tptools kit. That way you can optimize the size and shape of the cabinet and the orientation/size of the door for framebuilding.

Build Your Own Cabinet - Foot Pedal-Operated System - TP Tools & Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by shand View Post
    Just resurrecting this old old thread. I have sorted out our need for a compressor. Air at last. Good times. Anyway, a a follow-up does anyone have any experience of these blast cabinets?

ATLAS SBC420 Sandblast Cabinet

I assume they're asian imports but they look pretty good value for money. They're available over here in the UK as a different brand.

Cheers

Steven

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ps if tptools doesn't ship internationally I'll be happy to help with logistics if you decide to go that route.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anglo Scot Abrasives very similar and do build your own

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers all. I've looked at the kits, the Anglo-Scot, the Frost etc but to be honest, I'd rather be building bikes than blast cabinets. I suspect that I'd lose 2 or 3 days frame building time on one of those kits.

S
    Steven Shand
    www.willowbike.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a painter as well as builder and need to use a sandblaster a lot. I would be very, very frustrated by the almost-big-enough-but-not-quite cabinet you are thinking of buying to comfortably sandblast an entire frame. You will always be lifting up the the back part of the frame on the back wall in order to sandblast whatever area you needed to reach with the nozzle. Every little movement of the frame to access another place – which is all the time - requires effort with your left hand (if you are right handed) to balance and hold the weight of the frame to constantly keep it in the right position for the nozzle to comfortably reach a new area. It is a constantly moving target requiring constant effort. When I first got back to the US after learning to build in England I found a place that made sandblaster cabinets right around the corner. I ordered one that was 5' wide and 3' deep. I hated always having to lift up the back of the frame every time I needed to move it (which is literally all the time). I eventually sold it and bought one that was 5' wide and 4' deep. What a relief it was to have that extra depth! I consider it one of the best equipment improvements I made. The entire frame can sit on the bed without having to be tilted up the back side. Of course I'm a pro that requires pro equipment and I don't want to waste my time with equipment that slows me down in order to make money. I can guarantee you I can sandblast a frame a lot faster in the bigger cabinet with less effort. Keep in mind that because I'm a painter I'm using a sandblaster more than just a builder. Now if I was a hobbyist that only made a frame or two a year I wouldn't mind that compromise at all.

This reminds me of builders that buy less expensive fixtures that require more fussing around with protractors and rulers to set it up properly. They waste time and energy getting things set right (and maybe it still isn't quite right). This is not a problem for someone with a different day job because extra time isn't lost money for them. They are at play. It is even okay as an intermediate solution for those on tight budgets until a better one can be bought. But it doesn't makes sense for a real pro. I've got good fixtures that are easy and accurate to set so I can focus my time on making a quality product with less effort at greater speed.

Another tip that really saved my time when I am sandblasting a painted frame is getting a pressure pot blaster rather than a suction type. That allows a lot more media to come out at much lower pressures. Of course it is a much more expensive unit but it does the job much faster too. This type of blaster is much more important if one is a painter removing old finishes. Mine was made by Vacu-blast which is a UK based company.
    Last edited by Doug Fattic; 06-21-2012 at 10:07 AM. Reason: for clarity

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never known anyone to go out and buy a smaller blast cabinet (in a one cabinet shop). I know lots of guys that have gone the other direction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having used Mr. Fattic's blast cabinet, and my fathers barely big enough to fit a 58 cabinet I'd echo the sentiment that bigger is most assuredly better in terms of both cabinet and compressor sizing. Both are worlds better than the alternative but making dad's cabinet bigger is definately on the to do list.