Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Bike 0001

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bike 0001

Just found this thread yesterday and read it all the way through. Really fun to see it come together, and can't wait to see the result. Very methodical and the attn to detail is awesome. Also just noticed you're from Union MO - spent a lot of time in the woods around there as a kid. Curious where you work, bike shops were in very short supply there growing up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oregonic View Post
    Just found this thread yesterday and read it all the way through. Really fun to see it come together, and can't wait to see the result. Very methodical and the attn to detail is awesome. Also just noticed you're from Union MO - spent a lot of time in the woods around there as a kid. Curious where you work, bike shops were in very short supply there growing up!
    Thanks Oregonic...Details,details,details...and I havent even started on the final clean up. LOL
    As far as Union...your not missing much. LOL The shop is in Washington,Mo., which looks way different if youve been away any time at all.
    We've been in business going on 5 years now. Growing well, but winter is hard.
    You graduate from Union area, and if so...what year?? Maybe know some of the same people.

Keep watching...and I'll keep taking dumb pictures of sexy metal. ;)

Luke
    “So this is how the world works, all energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet." - HST

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, now I know the shop. Usually stop in there when I'm home over Christmas. Coming home this weekend for a wedding, actually, and might stop in.

I grew up across the river in Dutzow, but my Dad's from Washington and Mom's from Union. My extended family is all around there. I graduated from SFB in 1997.

Sorry to hijack the thread like this, but I think it's pretty cool and pretty damn coincidental to come across this thread, as - let's face it - there's just not a huge cycling community there. I've been out west for about 8 years now, but when I'm home I try to borrow a bike and hit up the trails in Augusta or Greensfelder with my brother or cousins. At the least, I'll hit up the Katy Trail for a spin, since it's right down the street.

Keep posting, I'm sure I'll stop in and meet you some time when I'm there.

Adam

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oregonic View Post
    Okay, now I know the shop. Usually stop in there when I'm home over Christmas. Coming home this weekend for a wedding, actually, and might stop in.

I grew up across the river in Dutzow, but my Dad's from Washington and Mom's from Union. My extended family is all around there. I graduated from SFB in 1997.

Sorry to hijack the thread like this, but I think it's pretty cool and pretty damn coincidental to come across this thread, as - let's face it - there's just not a huge cycling community there. I've been out west for about 8 years now, but when I'm home I try to borrow a bike and hit up the trails in Augusta or Greensfelder with my brother or cousins. At the least, I'll hit up the Katy Trail for a spin, since it's right down the street.

Keep posting, I'm sure I'll stop in and meet you some time when I'm there.

Adam
    Cool,Adam...Stop in anytime...Im there 7 months out of the year, then I return to my winter job at Six Flags repairing the wooden rollercoasters. ;)

Ya gotta keep eatin' at the Dutzow Deli. LOL Always dropping off riders/repairing bikes on the Katy trail. Thorns are a bitch.

Keep watchin for updates!

Luke
    “So this is how the world works, all energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet." - HST

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

20,000 views...my seat post arrived from Dazza-land today...going to go out and file on the remaining seat stay cap...
    pics at 10. ;)

Luke

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Left seat stay completed...
    IMAG0266.jpg

I was able to work on the seat cluster fitment now with my stay caps secured...
    IMAG0269.jpg

Happy with the fit, now ready for final rear triangle brazing...
    IMAG0268.jpg
    I have a little silver to clean up yet on the seat post eyelet, and overall still a lot of detail clean up work.

IMAG0270.jpg
    Happy with how close it came out to my original geometry (black marker on my jig).
    ...and front to back she is still very straight. ;)

Brake bridge will be the next subproject...any words of wisdom in that direction???
    I have the bridge, just need to place it...and braze it up.

Luke

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My advice: be patient while mitering on that bridge. I was in a rush to get things done before the place closed (last bit to do on the whole frame), and was surprised at how quickly it went from "a little too wide" to "throw that out". Seemed to chew through it a lot more quickly than tubes. Probably just my stupid brain translating the thicker walls to "this will take forever, better really get in there."

Also, those seat stays are hotness. Extreme hotness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by veryredbike View Post

Also, those seat stays are hotness. Extreme hotness.
    THANKS VRB- and I will take my time with the bridge...;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No work tonight...just a seat post shot...B O R I N G I'm sure, but I think this thing is sexy. LOL
    Thanks Dazza!
    IMAG0257.jpg
    IMAG0258.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My advice: be patient while mitering on that bridge. I was in a rush to get things done before the place closed (last bit to do on the whole frame), and was surprised at how quickly it went from "a little too wide" to "throw that out". Seemed to chew through it a lot more quickly than tubes. Probably just my stupid brain translating the thicker walls to "this will take forever, better really get in there."
    Does that become 'a bridge too far'?

Sorry..........I'll leave now.

"Even my farts smell like steel!" - Diel

"Make something with your hands. Not with your money." - Dario

Sean Doyle

www.devlincc.com

https://www.instagram.com/devlincustomcycles/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139142779@N05/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

REAR TRIANGLE IS BRAZED LIKE A HOT WING!!!!
    IMAG0280.jpg
    I stole this angle from an earlier RS post....and as Richard said: Try this with carbon!
    Steel f&%king rocks,man.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ADMIN:::: Hey I cant post any additional pics, its telling me <exceeds quota,blah,blah,blah>
    ?? Help

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

did you braze this with the BB cups installed? If so, why?
    Or were you just checking for fit after applying the heat?

Great project...keep it going!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luke, get a Flickr account and insert images from there instead of attaching them. It works way better and you can make them a lot bigger if necessary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imgur works pretty good too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just did my rear triangle too. Well... everything but the left side seat stay. I gotta say, chain stays are more fun to braze than anything else on the bike, atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by one60 View Post
    did you braze this with the BB cups installed? If so, why?
    Or were you just checking for fit after applying the heat?

Great project...keep it going!
    Thanks....these are just junk BB cups...Ive had them in most of the project. It allows me to clamp it in a vise without worry of damage to the BB shell.
    I brazed with them installed to protect the threads and keep any extra silver from running down into the BB cup area.
    I'm NOT saying this is common or accepted practice, its just how I decided to proceed.
    I unscrewed them for soaking and drying...
    then they pop right back in for thread protection. (I did melt one side just slightly...mostly just the outer bearing cover.Smelled great.)
    Luke

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just did my rear triangle too. Well... everything but the left side seat stay. I gotta say, chain stays are more fun to braze than anything else on the bike, atmo.
    I was dreading the tops of the seat stays...saved them for last...and all was well.
    I have some minor places to touch up and re-fill. But overall the project has exceeded my expectations.
    Something clicked tonight, and I was adding less material and getting it to wet out around the lug better. Practice, practice.

You keep going VRB, and I'll do the same.
    Luke

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
    Luke, get a Flickr account and insert images from there instead of attaching them. It works way better and you can make them a lot bigger if necessary.
    Thanks Clockwork. BIGGER! yay. Macro is yummy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Todays pics are here:
    Flickr: Luke Manion's Photostream

Hope this works...new to this Flickr thing. LOL

Luke