Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Shorelines

Can anyone out there in lugland show me what a "classic" shoreline is.

Secondly can someone explain what makes a good un.

My interest in lugs is growing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Shorelines

Check out the Kvales in this weeks FNL....nuff said.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A shoreline is trade jargon for the edge of the lug regardless of how thick/thin the lug is atmo. Some folks braze the joint and then file the excess filler, small amount that it may be, to accentuate the edge and bring it to 90 degrees with the pipe. According to my opinion, it's more telling to be able to braze clean enough so that you don't remove filler, you simply restrain yourself from adding too much. One method that helps the brazer keep the flow from overflowing is to bevel all the lug edges inboard before the joint is fitted and the torch turned on. That way, a small cavity/valley exists and it inhibits an overzealous run of brass or silver alloy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the explanation

Part1.JPG

Im asuming this from your explanation

Part2.JPG

not this

tube laser profile.JPG

this would be the profile with the undercut following the profile roughly if it was constantly at 90 degrees

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    A shoreline is trade jargon for the edge of the lug regardless of how thick/thin the lug is atmo. Some folks braze the joint and then file the excess filler, small amount that it may be, to accentuate the edge and bring it to 90 degrees with the pipe. According to my opinion, it's more telling to be able to braze clean enough so that you don't remove filler, you simply restrain yourself from adding too much. One method that helps the brazer keep the flow from overflowing is to bevel all the lug edges inboard before the joint is fitted and the torch turned on. That way, a small cavity/valley exists and it inhibits an overzealous run of brass or silver alloy.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by compositepro View Post
    this would be the profile with the undercut following the profile roughly if it was constantly at 90 degrees
    Consider that some assume the lug edge to stand at 90 degrees to the pipe. I use my body english to
    convince the edge to lean inboard, and I accentuate heavily it atmo. If no material bleeds out at all it
    will almost appear as a gap to the uninitiated - because the "crevice" between the outer most edge of
    the lug at any point and the inner most edge is noticeable, though slight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had this same discussion with our community a few years ago. I was told then that the base of the shore line "had' to be at 90* with the tube. That relationship is what constituted "proper" technique. I dissagree in that this is all, at most, artistic preference. Andy.
    Andy Stewart
    10%