Thread: Shorelines

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Shorelines

image.jpg
    DL was cold bent several degrees. Perhaps I could have accommodated the necessary angle simply by filing the root of the lug bore, I've done it that way before to a smaller angle change, but I bent this one. The flanks of the DT spigot opened up considerably. With the solid bending bars in the lug, the HT bar in the vise, I used a small diameter drift, maybe 1/4" OD with a slightly rounded head, and hundreds of light hammer taps to slowly shrink the spigot flanks down to the new tube location; not just the shoreline but through the whole length. Lots of work and trial & error but I eventually got a pretty decent fit. Same thing for the CS sockets though I bent them hot, and with cups threaded in. The inside half of the spigots needed a lot of movement and shrinking to fit properly and provide the necessary tire clearance. Those fit up well enough to wick filler well, the DL fit better, though there is always room for improvement. I have a better, but still rudimentary, grasp of this sort of procedure. With practice I think one could get reasonably quick & efficient at several degrees of angle change, ending up with spigots having optimum clearance. It was pretty satisfying and I'm looking forward to getting better at this....and not missing any areas! Where the lugs fit well the filler flow was easy and the shorelines took care of themselves.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mike, the only thing wrong with your drawing is that the filler is bronze, not brass.
    Mike Zanconato
    Web
    | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Flickr | Tumblr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zank View Post
    Mike, the only thing wrong with your drawing is that the filler is bronze, not brass.
    This is actually something that has been bothering me for a long time. I've heard a lot of people insist on calling it bronze and not brass.
    But from what I know brass is primarily an alloy of copper and zinc while bronze is usually an alloy of copper and tin.
    Judging by this definition, the brass is used to braze frames. Am I wrong here?
    Evgeniy Vodolazskiy (Eugene for English-speaking =)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by waterlaz View Post
    This is actually something that has been bothering me for a long time. I've heard a lot of people insist on calling it bronze and not brass.
    But from what I know brass is primarily an alloy of copper and zinc while bronze is usually an alloy of copper and tin.
    Judging by this definition, the brass is used to braze frames. Am I wrong here?

I think maybe back in the day, in the old country, brass was actually used. These days though, it's bronze alloys that are preferred.

Example, Brazing Alloys - Gasflux

Alistair.
    Alistair Spence
    Seattle, WA,
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/duncancycles/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    I think maybe back in the day, in the old country, brass was actually used. These days though, it's bronze alloys that are preferred.

Example, Brazing Alloys - Gasflux

Alistair.
    Hm... It sais that Low fuming Bronze is actually RBCuZn-C which according to RBCuZn-C is bacicaly 58% copper + 40% zinc + small amounts of other things.
    Looks a lot like brass and not bronze Brass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Evgeniy Vodolazskiy (Eugene for English-speaking =)

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by waterlaz View Post
    Hm... It sais that Low fuming Bronze is actually RBCuZn-C which according to RBCuZn-C is bacicaly 58% copper + 40% zinc + small amounts of other things.
    Looks a lot like brass and not bronze Brass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    It's jargon, just as when folks say they silver braze (they don't, they use an alloyed rod with some Ag content...) or that they solder their joints (I love to see the pile of returns from these guys!).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just call it copper alloy and everybody will be happy.
    Mike Zanconato
    Web
    | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Flickr | Tumblr

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12