Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Pasta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pasta

Lets hear some good pasta recipes. Today I made roasted linguine rehydrated with the rind of a sheep's milk cheese. I then made some minced onions, minced preserved lemon and pepper with micro arugula on top to finish it. Came out cool, very similar to cacio e pepe. Rehydrating dried pasta is the next best thing to freshly made pasta, and exponentially easier to make.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Pasta

I posted one in the massive dinner thread a few weeks ago that I was pretty proud of.
    Brussels sprouts, halved and cooked in white wine and butter- char them a bit. Then throw in grilled chicken, lemon juice, crushed red pepper. Toss with farfalle, shaved parm, and more lemon juice and you're good to go.
    I kinda thought it up myself based on ingredients a hand, but a google search gave me a recipe that gave me the idea for the lemon juice.

Another fave is farfalle (again, yeah. I like the texture when cooked) with crumbled sweet Italian sausage and broccoli rabe.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    I posted one in the massive dinner thread a few weeks ago that I was pretty proud of.
    Brussels sprouts, halved and cooked in white wine and butter- char them a bit. Then throw in grilled chicken, lemon juice, crushed red pepper. Toss with farfalle, shaved parm, and more lemon juice and you're good to go.
    I kinda thought it up myself based on ingredients a hand, but a google search gave me a recipe that gave me the idea for the lemon juice.

Another fave is farfalle (again, yeah. I like the texture when cooked) with crumbled sweet Italian sausage and broccoli rabe.
    Nom. I'm a big fan of a basic lemon cream sauce reduction along those same lines. Usually toss a quarter cup of shredded parm in along with the zest from the lemon as well.

Fresh pasta tips, anyone? I've got the machine (Italian hand crank, none of this food processor extruder crap), but not the skills. My last attempt turned into more of a fettucine morass of dough.
    Nate King
    not at scarab

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got this from a friend who cooks for a living and rides bikes.

6 yolks
    1 3/4 cup flour
    Extra virgin

Combine flour and yolks in a food processor. Add a dash (1 tbsp or so) of olive oil. Cover and start the thing.

You're looking for a nice crumbly texture, not too moist. 30 seconds should be plenty. Pour it out and mash it into a blob. Wrap the blob in plastic and let it sit 10-15 minutes. Unwrap it, mash it together again and roll it out with the machine.
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not for fresh pasta, but the sauce to go on it.

Chop up a pound of bacon (I usually just slice the whole slab in 1/4" strips) and cook them til crispy in a big skillet.
    Remove bacon and then saute a nice big sweet onion (diced) in the bacon grease until soft.
    Toss in a some diced tomatoes, garlic, salt, pepper to taste.
    Simmer until you can break the tomatoes down with a fork pretty easily.
    You can toss this with the pasta and serve at this point with crumbled bacon and parn on top, or you can add some tomato paste and chicken broth to make a thicker sauce.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Fresh pasta tips, anyone? I've got the machine (Italian hand crank, none of this food processor extruder crap), but not the skills. My last attempt turned into more of a fettucine morass of dough.
    Simple way to make pasta is two eggs per cup of flour, or if you have a scale 3 parts flour to 2 parts eggs. Using a food processors to get the dough together is really easy. Pulse it until it looks like bread crumbs, then knead it until it feels silky. At this point, you let it rest for a bit. Using a hand crank machine, quarter the dough, then run it through 3 settings, refold it, then run it through again. Go to either the last or second to last depending on how thick or thin you want the finished product. Sounds like you may have needed to flour the cut pasta, this will keep it from being a mess of pasta stuck together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We make that bacon sauce on a regular basis. Quick easy and good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For us wannabe's how about someone posting up a foolproof lemon and butter sauce. This is a fav of mine.

Thanks,
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Y'all rock. Tanks.

Nate King
    not at scarab

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AJPM44 View Post
    Simple way to make pasta is two eggs per cup of flour, or if you have a scale 3 parts flour to 2 parts eggs. Using a food processors to get the dough together is really easy. Pulse it until it looks like bread crumbs, then knead it until it feels silky. At this point, you let it rest for a bit. Using a hand crank machine, quarter the dough, then run it through 3 settings, refold it, then run it through again. Go to either the last or second to last depending on how thick or thin you want the finished product. Sounds like you may have needed to flour the cut pasta, this will keep it from being a mess of pasta stuck together.
    +1. This is about what I use. I did have better success once I got my hands on some semolina. 1/2 and 1/2 with AP flour makes for a more workable dough. 20 minutes rest in the fridge is critical as well. Use semolina to dust the cut pasta as well.

Practice. Kind of like riding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Not for fresh pasta, but the sauce to go on it.

Chop up a pound of bacon (I usually just slice the whole slab in 1/4" strips) and cook them til crispy in a big skillet.
    Remove bacon and then saute a nice big sweet onion (diced) in the bacon grease until soft.
    Toss in a some diced tomatoes, garlic, salt, pepper to taste.
    Simmer until you can break the tomatoes down with a fork pretty easily.
    You can toss this with the pasta and serve at this point with crumbled bacon and parn on top, or you can add some tomato paste and chicken broth to make a thicker sauce.

Andrew
    That's kind of a bastardized version of my current favorite, bucatini all'amatriciana. You use pancetta, or guanciale if it's around.

Here's Mario's version