User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Anyone shave with a straight razor?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Anyone shave with a straight razor?

I've had some great straight razor barbershop shaves, so I'd like to DIY this. Anyone do this at home? Antique or new razor?

I'm talking face here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Anyone shave with a straight razor?

i tried this a while ago after hearing rave reviews

i'n practice I moved down a peg to the venerable safety razor which does offer a significantly longer lasting (I find) shave than the traditional packaged multiblade setup , Razor burn was a present for a few weeks but after that either technique improved or I developed some form of rhino hyde facial skin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To echo compositepro would try moving to a safety razor first. You can give yourself a pretty good slicing with a straight razor. Most of us ride modern safety bicycles for a reason too. I did a short write-up on shaving and razor choice ruralmind. In short, you can get a really nice razor with a nice weight to it that will give you a better shave than the plastic cartridge systems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not straight, but double edge safety. I don't see the advantage time wise and money wise for straight.

Check out Larry from WhippedDog.com for an affordable starter kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope. No way. I'm too shaky.

Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm also in for the double edged safety razor. Currently using a Merkur with Feather blades. Better shave than anything modern and cheaper too.

I can sharpen a blade well enough to shave with. But I'm not sure I'm willing to spend enough time doing it to commit to a straight razor. Or, the handful of them it would take.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is quite a commitment. I gave it a good try and ultimately found it took too much time although I really enjoyed the process.

I'm using a Feather double edge safety razor for past two yrs. or so. Happy boy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got a Merkur safety for Christmas and haven't looked back since. Much better shave than disposables. Less waste, cheaper too.

I figure I'd severely disfigure myself with a straight blade.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll try a safety razor. Thanks for the input. I'll be shaving just like my dad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by summilux View Post
    I'll try a safety razor. Thanks for the input. I'll be shaving just like my dad.
    It does feel like that. Take two steps forward if your medicine cabinet has a slot for used blades.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My dad'll have a good laugh when he sees a safety razor in my bathroom. I think his was a Wilkinson. By the time I got old enough to shave, he'd moved on to electric and the father/son bonding thing was nothing more than him handing me a Philips electric. Turned my skin beet red.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My barbers, a pair of best friends that moved their families to San Diego from Portugal following the tuna fishing fleets, are true barbers and offer a real shave and a haircut. The shave is definitely closer than anything I can do myself with a Gillette! Louie and Virgil are in their mid to late 70's and I can only imagine how many shaves they've given in their life times. No razor burn, no nics or cuts. Just a clean perfect shave. Any time I have a special event to attend I try to go there for a shave and a haircut.
    "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, which holds forth the proposition, that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Middletown, Orange County, New York, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Smith View Post
    My barbers, a pair of best friends that moved their families to San Diego from Portugal following the tuna fishing fleets, are true barbers and offer a real shave and a haircut. The shave is definitely closer than anything I can do myself with a Gillette! Louie and Virgil are in their mid to late 70's and I can only imagine how many shaves they've given in their life times. No razor burn, no nics or cuts. Just a clean perfect shave. Any time I have a special event to attend I try to go there for a shave and a haircut.
    ask them to do your legs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fvracer72 View Post
    ask them to do your legs
    I actually do mine with my double edged safety razor - lasts a lot longer and the better prep eliminates any skin issues as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Smith View Post
    Where are these guys. I would love to get a pro shave.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

RESURRECTED FROM THE DEAD....................

Quote Originally Posted by summilux View Post
    I've had some great straight razor barbershop shaves, so I'd like to DIY this. Anyone do this at home? Antique or new razor?
    I'm talking face here.
    I've been shaving exclusively with straights for more than a couple of years now. I hone them myself using a couple of different traditional techniques and do light restoration. It is a superior shave, and while it does take a little practice to become skilled, it is definitely approachable and you do not need to 'ease into it' by going to double edge safety razor methods - IMO.

My razors are all old. Well - I have one new French razor, but the old ones really had some quality steel that hold a great edge. New razors are only available from 2 companies and custom razor makers. There is something really satisfying about shaving with a 200 yo razor that you honed up yourself. Steel and stone....probably why I'll likely never ride e-shifters....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mcdermid View Post
    i tried this a while ago after hearing rave reviews
    i'n practice I moved down a peg to the venerable safety razor which does offer a significantly longer lasting (I find) shave than the traditional packaged multiblade setup , Razor burn was a present for a few weeks but after that either technique improved or I developed some form of rhino hyde facial skin
    Once honed properly, I can shave off the same edge many dozens of times without the need of a touchup. Two minute stropping before each shave and you're good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by -HvA- View Post
    Not straight, but double edge safety. I don't see the advantage time wise and money wise for straight.
    Check out Larry from WhippedDog.com for an affordable starter kit.
    +10. Larry is a top notch guy.

Quote Originally Posted by topher View Post
    Where are these guys. I would love to get a pro shave.
    I think it is the extremely rare case to find a barber nowadays who actually can shave well. It is very close to being a lost art, and more importantly, they don't use "real" straight razors, but rather, they are required by Health Dept. regs to use 'shavettes' which are essentially single edge safety razor blades inserted into a holder shaped like a straight. This is NOT a straight razor. It can be extremely aggressive, especially in the hands of someone not very proficient in the art which is the rule rather than the exception. Wouldn't catch me near one...

So, I'd say take HvA's advice and go see Larry WhippedDog and learn yourself!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been using one of these for the past two years. It's the best 1959 Gillette Fatboy w Original Case and Blades - Auburn - Art - Collectibles - sale antiques

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DE here as well. had a straight for a while- just never had it sharpened properly.

a merkur,a feather blade, and a decent brush is as good as i need though! still curious about straight razors though- but not curious enough to switch from a good thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TRuss View Post
    I've been using one of these for the past two years. It's the best 1959 Gillette Fatboy w Original Case and Blades - Auburn - Art - Collectibles - sale antiques
    That's a good step up from the Mach Turbos, but try one of these guys sometime: