Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What are you plantin'??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What are you plantin'??

Like i said, what ya'll got stuck in the dirt..? Today, i got out: radish, cabbage, garlic, onions, collards, mustards and mesculins.. Feelin' good,, in about 30 days the harvest begins.

What are your must haves, in case i forget something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: What are you plantin'??

Garlic - one year's worth. Kate plants it every fall, harvest in July. I keep the greens going: kale, arugula, bok choy. lettuce and spinach starting now. I didn't plant snap peas, dammit. I'll start tomato seeds in a couple of weeks. Strawberries and blueberries are ongoing. Everyone with a yard should have multiple blueberry bushes - can be attractive landscape plants, some keep their leaves all winter here, and man-o-man, it's hard to beat a steady stream of blueberries in the summer!

Tis the season. A little effort now pays off in spades! Good stuff.
    Harth Huffman
    www.wabiwoolens.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm hoping this year's a better year on tomatoes, Tomatoberry is a favorite variety for snacking on while mowing. And I don't have much room, but am going to do some cucs for pickling if only to have a proper stash of pickle juice for drinking afte

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would love to do blueberries, but I would have trouble getting them to grow here, and if I could get them to grow, to keep the birds out of them. It would give me an excellent excuse purge the yard of the evil bougainvillaea that is the bane of my existence.

My meyer lemon tree is growing choke fruit. The strawberry guava tree is loaded again, but I need to beat the birds to the good fruit. That tree, however, is too close to the house and is getting too big, so some shaping is in order for it soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just put up a 20' greenhouse
    scrambling to buy transplants to harden off

in too many places to grow food properly so far this year..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have about 3/4 of an acre of blueberry bushes. They were planted about 18 years ago and produce so much fruit i can't keep up.. Last year, my wife and i picked 80 gallons of berries, and it didnt looked like we even touched them. I typically let friends come over and pick as much as they want, which is usually about a gallon..
    Maunahaole, we dont have any problems with birds eating the berries. There isnt enough seed for them to worry about doing the work.

I keep garlic and onions going most of the time, along with some sort of greens. Also constantly have herbs going, when its going to get cold i move them to the greenhouse.. Man, i am going to make some breakfast. Gettin hungry thinking about the goods

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We do all of the normal spring stuff. My wife just harvested the first beans of the season.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fresh basil for a pesto on pizza, we added scallions as untraditional as that is.. DELICIOUS!! Moved the chicken coop today, retrieved 14 eggs.. Gonna have a big breakfast. Dug up potatoes from last year, perfect for seed. Wow, gettin jazzed!.!..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nuthin yet.

behind in the program-per usual. unusually early planting all 'round here right now, but i'm stuck building a timberframe workshop (building workshop) for a ... greenhouse biz! next week...mebbe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just trying to keep up with over 40 fruit trees, we lost allot of blooms on the plums & peaches but a few took hold whereas the pears are just now blooming.
    Only planting a few trees to fill in, a desert willow and a few basil plants but also stuck in another pomagranate last week.......
    - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would never live anywhere else.. That being said, i am so jealous of people with pomegranate, avocado, lemon and lime trees. I have thought about building a green house just for a single avocado tree. Pipe dreamming

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How cold does it get where you are? Citrus is pretty tough and can handle some cold, but not extended freeze.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every year Suzanne and I get more ambitious. We had a great harvest last year.
    On our window sills we have about sixty seedlings. Heirloom regular and cherry tomatoes, tomatillos (2 varieties so I'll be pushing for recipes), beans, peas, cucumbers, zucchini, sage, arugula, spinach. There's probably more. It's so amazing seeing the little suckers pop out of the dirt. We don't generally start herbs from seed as they don't seem to as well. We'll be buying basil, thyme and some others in a little while.
    We're going to try potatoes in a barrel as we have heard good things about this method.
    We have had good luck with squirrels and racoons to this point. Lots of lavender in the garden, which they like, and garlic and chives spread through out too.
    I'll put up a few photos like a proud papa.
    Noah

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    How cold does it get where you are? Citrus is pretty tough and can handle some cold, but not extended freeze.
    Rowdy -

I am in SC PA and am growing Meyer Lemons on miniature root stock with no problem in a 5 gallon planter. I just bring them inside before it gets really cold out. The lemon is hardy to approx. 20F, I think. I also have an orange that isn't quite as hard, but no problem down to approx. 30F last week. Harvesting your own lemons is pretty amazing.

You're not going to get lots of 'em of course and the selection is limited, but you can definitely do it. edible landscaping will send citrus to most states outside TX, FL, HI, and a few others. I did look into avocados but I don't think there's any ones grafted to miniature root stock - they also take a pretty long time to bear fruit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few shitty phone pics here.
    It is so cool to see these popping out of the soil. The beans are huge when they first appear and grow incredibly fast. I think this is two days difference between the first and second pics and it's exciting to come home and see how much they've grown everyday. We are ready to transplant some of these already. The tomatillos are super leggy and need bigger pots.
    The zuccinis in the front are really beautiful and are a new variety to us. The grill is already hot.

Really what amazes me so much is how these small seeds carry all of the information to turn into huge plants and produce large quantities of food and more seeds.
    I wouldn't try citrus here and am envious of you guys who can do it. Garro, pomegranates would be so great.
    Noah

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hadn't thought of Meyer lemons. I live in an area that gets probably 75 days of pretty cold weather, avg. 20* down to single digits, so standard citrus is probably not a choice. But, i could do a Meyer lemon. I have a heated greenhouse that i could bring it into if the weather got to harsh.
    I am going to check into some mini stock trees. I DO NOT like to plant or take care of anything that you can not eventually eat something off of, if i am going to do the work i want some reward.. Container gardening is a good way to to make the deck look good, but having dinner of a plant, is god in a bucket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gods work and good work.. I love to watch the little guys grow, get up every morning looking at the seedlings, whispering softly "you're gonna be a big boy".

Quote Originally Posted by velocolour View Post
    A few shitty phone pics here.
    It is so cool to see these popping out of the soil. The beans are huge when they first appear and grow incredibly fast. I think this is two days difference between the first and second pics and it's exciting to come home and see how much they've grown everyday. We are ready to transplant some of these already. The tomatillos are super leggy and need bigger pots.
    The zuccinis in the front are really beautiful and are a new variety to us. The grill is already hot.

Really what amazes me so much is how these small seeds carry all of the information to turn into huge plants and produce large quantities of food and more seeds.
    I wouldn't try citrus here and am envious of you guys who can do it. Garro, pomegranates would be so great.
    Noah