User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: well this is complete bullshit

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    midcoast Maine
    Posts
    2,066
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default well this is complete bullshit

    i'm rarely angered by social issues, but this really gets my goat
    Prom Dress Rules: High Schools Ban Sexy Gowns | Fashion - Yahoo! Shine
    you're not the lord of the flies

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NY & MN
    Posts
    5,440
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: well this is complete bullshit

    During my close examination of the slide show, I failed to see the problem.



    (One day I might have a daughter and my perspective might change, though.)

    Prom is no fun these days: Oakdale porn-star prom date formally disallowed | StarTribune.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Alameda, CA
    Posts
    2,468
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: well this is complete bullshit

    Remember, America was founded by Puritans. They're going to haunt us for centuries.
    steve cortez

    FNG

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Santa Cruz CA
    Posts
    4,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: well this is complete bullshit

    I have a problem using the word "sexy" as an adjective to describe anything for kids. I had a friend who worked for a toy company; specifically the Bratz line of toys. They phrase they used around the office was Prosti-tots.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hillsdale NY
    Posts
    25,768
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: well this is complete bullshit

    This:

    Administrators at the school have put together a twelve-page power-point presentation with close-cropped images to show students exactly what the rules are. "Words don't mean much to them," says Lee. Other schools are using posters and illustrated handouts.
    That would make me irate. Aren't words a fairly important part of school?

    edit: My sister said it was hard to find a prom dress for her daughter that actually covered the veejayjay. Other parents didn't seem so concerned. Not that there is anything wrong with it, I suppose. Mother and daughter can carpool to work after graduation.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Posts
    22,190
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: well this is complete bullshit

    Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    This:



    That would make me irate. Aren't words a fairly important part of school?
    I caught that sentence too atmo. Sad, that his communique contained that. Self-editing a must.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hillsdale NY
    Posts
    25,768
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: well this is complete bullshit

    There's an article in the NYTimes about the increased frequency of girls who go through puberty before age 10.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/01/ma...l.html?_r=1&hp

    Sort of freaky. Makes one wonder what is going on generally.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    7,016
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: well this is complete bullshit

    The words reference belies the same sort of contempt the teacher probably gets from some kids. Teaching high school must be tough but it reads as though she doesn't like her job.

    Regarding the dresses, I have a 12-year-old daughter. I hope she has enough self confidence not to want a dress like that.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NY & MN
    Posts
    5,440
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: well this is complete bullshit

    Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    I have a problem using the word "sexy" as an adjective to describe anything for kids. I had a friend who worked for a toy company; specifically the Bratz line of toys. They phrase they used around the office was Prosti-tots.
    Modeling prom dresses on 25 year old women does have a way of blurring the line between fun drugs and sketchy drugs.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Casolare alla Scala
    Posts
    1,497
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: well this is complete bullshit

    So, um, I've kicked two kids out of prom for having sex on the dance floor. Seriously.

    The reason for these rules are because teachers and administrators are spooked. The reasonable solution saying "keep it classy" and having the AP/Dean at the door and turning away those who aren't. However, when the spectre of lawsuit and other complain comes when parents get angry and protest about their $2000 investment in their kids night that you just ruined, the school gets gunshy about enforcing any sort of codes that aren't crystal clear, and when you sit around and codify this stuff in a staff meeting the most conservative rules get passed. Because seriously, who's going to raise their hand and say "Actually, I think 16yr old cleavage is cool."

    Same thing with some of the "dancing" that happens. Borderline behavior isn't stopped because teachers/admin are afraid of the blowback for things that aren't clearly over the line, and then the line keeps getting pushed, kids have sex on the dancefloor, it hits the press, and then the next year out comes a rule that there needs to be a 6" gap between all partner dancing at all times.

    Fortunately, the incident I was involved with didn't make it out to the public. I found the kids on campus the next week and completely, thouroughly, chewed them out for doing something as wreckless and irresponsible as...

    ...having unproteted sex. Note: the high school I was teaching at had a condom club. YMMV.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Mertztown, PA
    Posts
    4,405
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: well this is complete bullshit

    Quote Originally Posted by spopepro View Post
    So, um, I've kicked two kids out of prom for having sex on the dance floor. Seriously.

    The reason for these rules are because teachers and administrators are spooked. The reasonable solution saying "keep it classy" and having the AP/Dean at the door and turning away those who aren't. However, when the spectre of lawsuit and other complain comes when parents get angry and protest about their $2000 investment in their kids night that you just ruined, the school gets gunshy about enforcing any sort of codes that aren't crystal clear, and when you sit around and codify this stuff in a staff meeting the most conservative rules get passed. Because seriously, who's going to raise their hand and say "Actually, I think 16yr old cleavage is cool."

    Same thing with some of the "dancing" that happens. Borderline behavior isn't stopped because teachers/admin are afraid of the blowback for things that aren't clearly over the line, and then the line keeps getting pushed, kids have sex on the dancefloor, it hits the press, and then the next year out comes a rule that there needs to be a 6" gap between all partner dancing at all times.

    Fortunately, the incident I was involved with didn't make it out to the public. I found the kids on campus the next week and completely, thouroughly, chewed them out for doing something as wreckless and irresponsible as...

    ...having unproteted sex. Note: the high school I was teaching at had a condom club. YMMV.
    Jesus Christ.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hillsdale NY
    Posts
    25,768
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: well this is complete bullshit

    If the kids are having trouble understanding words as per the teacher the article, maybe they are confusing prom night with p*rn night.

    Similar, yes. The same, no.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Santa Cruz CA
    Posts
    4,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: well this is complete bullshit

    Quote Originally Posted by spopepro View Post
    So, um, I've kicked two kids out of prom for having sex on the dance floor. Seriously.

    The reason for these rules are because teachers and administrators are spooked. The reasonable solution saying "keep it classy" and having the AP/Dean at the door and turning away those who aren't. However, when the spectre of lawsuit and other complain comes when parents get angry and protest about their $2000 investment in their kids night that you just ruined, the school gets gunshy about enforcing any sort of codes that aren't crystal clear, and when you sit around and codify this stuff in a staff meeting the most conservative rules get passed. Because seriously, who's going to raise their hand and say "Actually, I think 16yr old cleavage is cool."

    Same thing with some of the "dancing" that happens. Borderline behavior isn't stopped because teachers/admin are afraid of the blowback for things that aren't clearly over the line, and then the line keeps getting pushed, kids have sex on the dancefloor, it hits the press, and then the next year out comes a rule that there needs to be a 6" gap between all partner dancing at all times.

    Fortunately, the incident I was involved with didn't make it out to the public. I found the kids on campus the next week and completely, thouroughly, chewed them out for doing something as wreckless and irresponsible as...

    ...having unproteted sex. Note: the high school I was teaching at had a condom club. YMMV.
    Guess I'll be revisitng the vasectomy thread.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,866
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: well this is complete bullshit

    Quote Originally Posted by spopepro View Post
    The reason for these rules are because teachers and administrators are spooked. The reasonable solution saying "keep it classy" and having the AP/Dean at the door and turning away those who aren't. However, when the spectre of lawsuit and other complain comes when parents get angry and protest about their $2000 investment in their kids night that you just ruined, the school gets gunshy about enforcing any sort of codes that aren't crystal clear, and when you sit around and codify this stuff in a staff meeting the most conservative rules get passed.
    .
    We should go for a ride sometime and swap stories. The progression of bad behavior from year to year in school is pretty amazing.

    The big change is parents attitudes. It is no longer about disciplining the child for bad behavior, it is about helicoptering in and making sure nothing stays on little Johnny's or little Suzy's record that hurts their chance to get into a good college.

    p.s. Let's not forget, 9th grade seems like a good time to try rehab for the first time.
    Last edited by vertical_doug; 03-30-2012 at 07:43 PM. Reason: added ps

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    midcoast Maine
    Posts
    2,066
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: well this is complete bullshit

    mother nature says one thing. "civilisation " and more recent "book learning" says another. how in hell would a rube like me know what to think, way outside my scope of learnin/paygrade. instinct defies debate. i'm w/instinct cuz it simply can't lie.
    you're not the lord of the flies

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Santa Cruz CA
    Posts
    4,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: well this is complete bullshit

    Quote Originally Posted by mainemike View Post
    mother nature says one thing. "civilisation " and more recent "book learning" says another. how in hell would a rube like me know what to think, way outside my scope of learnin/paygrade. instinct defies debate. i'm w/instinct cuz it simply can't lie.
    What would someone your age even have to say to an 18 year old?

    (I'll set 'em up. You knock 'em down.)
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    midcoast Maine
    Posts
    2,066
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: well this is complete bullshit

    Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    What would someone your age even have to say to an 18 year old?

    (I'll set 'em up. You knock 'em down.)
    i'm all bluster, you know that right? hvng said that: whats a decent batting average or even the top guy? thus how many swings equal quantifiable success? out of 1,000? i'm old and jesty don't forget just not dead yet but no swing, no hit/chance.
    you're not the lord of the flies

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,645
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: well this is complete bullshit

    Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    There's an article in the NYTimes about the increased frequency of girls who go through puberty before age 10.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/01/ma...l.html?_r=1&hp

    Sort of freaky. Makes one wonder what is going on generally.
    And in a related story, they think they've found at least one of the causes of honeybee colony collapse disorder. Wait for it............a common family of insecticides.

    Then there's the story of increased incidence of diagnosis of autism spectrum disorders in kids.

    Just because the majority of the man-made chemicals out there don't cause humans or guinea-pigs to either die on contact, or immediately break out in hives, doesn't mean that they aren't, either alone or in some complex combination, causing subtle changes that will mess up the body. I have no idea if any of these three issue are in any way connected to environmental factors, but it sure makes you wonder.

    Also, and I feel like a misanthrope saying this, but given how the badly world has been effed up due to human actions, it only seems fair that they too should be negatively affected by their own actions.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cannon County TN
    Posts
    5,700
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: well this is complete bullshit

    Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    There's an article in the NYTimes about the increased frequency of girls who go through puberty before age 10...Sort of freaky. Makes one wonder what is going on generally.
    some say it's the whoremones used in the meat industry. profit enhancing drugs yo.






  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Boston, Massachusetts, United States
    Posts
    9,905
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: well this is complete bullshit

    Our American culture has some pretty fucked-up ways of "teaching" about and dealing with sexuality. Having raised a kid, I've got stories.

    Since we're sharing NYTimes articles, here's one about an ambitious undertaking: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/20/ma...-good-sex.html. I think it's pretty cool. It reminds me of when my wife taught our 4-year-old about sex - "We don't wait for her to ask about the moon before we explain what it is!"
    GO!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •