Likes Likes:  0

Thread: summer suits

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default summer suits

How do you select a fabric (cotton, linen, hemp, seersucker)?
    How do you select a color (white, khaki, tan, light blue, olive)?
    How do you accessorize (belts, shoes, shirts, ties)?

How could we make this summer the summer of chasea style?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: summer suits

I think the first two questions depend entirely on how and when you intend to wear the thing. If it's purely for social occasions where looking a little rumpled is OK or even desirable, then go crazy with linen, silk, or whatever. But do be mindful that social events like that tend to be outdoor affairs involving dirt in all its various forms, so pick something that isn't going to look terrible the first time you sit down on a lawn chair and pick up a little dust. It's inevitable.

I think you have to be born and raised south of the Mason-Dixon and have a certain devil-may-care insouciance to really look right in a seersucker suit. But that's just me.

For belts and ties, English tan leather is my go-to -- I like the colored suede numbers that are making the rounds, but that shit don't fly for a small-town southern politician like me. If you've got the swag, the right white shoes are money. If you have to ask "are these the right white shoes?" then you don't have the swag.

The correct accessories for a summer suit are an Old Fashioned and a beautiful woman in a gauzy dress.

I don't think a white suit is ever OK unless you're Cab Calloway, Colonel Sanders, or Boss Hogg.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm getting married in June in my grandfather's backyard, so this topic has my attention. As an outdoor event, it'll be pretty casual. I've been thinking about a medium-grey linen 3-piece, and these shoes: Johnston & Murphy: TRANUM PLAIN TOE - Tan Italian Calfskin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    I think the first two questions depend entirely on how and when you intend to wear the thing. If it's purely for social occasions where looking a little rumpled is OK or even desirable, then go crazy with linen, silk, or whatever. But do be mindful that social events like that tend to be outdoor affairs involving dirt in all its various forms, so pick something that isn't going to look terrible the first time you sit down on a lawn chair and pick up a little dust. It's inevitable.

I think you have to be born and raised south of the Mason-Dixon and have a certain devil-may-care insouciance to really look right in a seersucker suit. But that's just me.

For belts and ties, English tan leather is my go-to -- I like the colored suede numbers that are making the rounds, but that shit don't fly for a small-town southern politician like me. If you've got the swag, the right white shoes are money. If you have to ask "are these the right white shoes?" then you don't have the swag.

The correct accessories for a summer suit are an Old Fashioned and a beautiful woman in a gauzy dress.

I don't think a white suit is ever OK unless you're Cab Calloway, Colonel Sanders, or Boss Hogg.
    Some serious Zen from Ben right there.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
    Some serious Zen from Ben right there.
    [X] like atmo -

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post

^^This.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cotton khaki and navy linen suits are both extremely versatile.

Being from the south, seersucker has left an awful taste in my mouth. I associate it with the poor tailoring that is so prevalent down there. Its also more of a one trick pony.

Whichever route you take, tailor the shit out of the suit and sweat the details.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nice light weight dark wool always worked for me. Never did understand "summer" suits, perhaps it's the Kennedy in my trying to see daylight?

Looks the BB 1818 Fitzgerald collection. IIRC Dave you would look d@mn fine in this:
    Fitzgerald Two-Button 1818 Suit | Brooks Brothers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ditto what TT states. Light weight wool is the way to go.Choose a classic 2B SB, side vent jacket with a flat front trouser. If you desire a lighter color, than consider the tans, olives, or pearl grays. No baby or powder blue unless going for the Will Ferrell look. Tan classic toe laceups, or even a neat weave for summer use only. I love Gravati, available at fine stores in the US. White linen pocket square and you're set.
    Il vero lusso è il tempo da dedicare alle proprie passioni.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something to consider when suiting up in extreme heat is the linings in the pant legs. Most suits have a lining extending to just above the knees. If you're wearing wool in the heat, and you shave your legs, you're going to break a sweat. Without a little bit of leg hair, the lining will start sticking to your knees and thighs, and you'll sweat right through them. Gross, right?

If you're in a particularly hot or humid part of the country, or if you're just a sweater, this is something to take into consideration. I prefer cotton or linen in the summer.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Matlock Articles on AOL TV

I hear what you are saying, in regards to the seersucker suit.. As a gentleman, born and raised south of the mason dixon, i believe one may sport that particular fabric with good results. You must "wear" the suit and dont let it wear you. I will say, i have not worn one in about 10 years, but when i did, on more than one occasion i may have wrangled some strange.. That was a while ago, i feel seersucker may be played out for a bit. I am thinking light weight and yellow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyhillrambler View Post
    Matlock Articles on AOL TV
    I am thinking light weight and yellow.
    Yellow and seersucker. Are the two separable?

Reminds me of last night. Because of a bad vehicle accident (no injuries, but the Volvo gave its life doing
    what Volvo's are famous for) I was left to hitch hike many miles to home. I pulled out my back pack. High
    quality and low price so I bought it. Camo of course. It was very cold up in the mountains so I pulled out some raingear which I happened to find on sale (also happened to be camo). It was raining... no it was pouring so my wife donated her umbrella... white with multi colored polka dots. I was getting stares that couldn't have been worse if I had been wearing a yellow seersucker suit. It looked like Wally Cox does Rambo. Not a good look for anyone trying to hitch a ride. People don't think about stopping, they just stare in disbelief.

As for selecting a suit; Hey, I just left it up to Manu. Followed a link on the "butler thread" and Manu had his ad there. You could take his suits to Savile Row and the tailors there would be duly impressed. The big difference is the price. If you're in the Pacific Northwest, Manu's a good man, actually, he is the man.

I spent (paid my dues) in custom suits (sorry, but once you have custom tailored you can never go back... a lot like using silk tubulars. Just can't go back to off the rack) and tuxes. I still enjoy a fine tailored suit but I'm retiring soon and I'll be moving to a place that doesn't have roads that would be kind to silk tires, and people call you high society if you roll down your sleeve so far that the pack of Marlboro's fall out. I don't own an old school bus, or goats and people there know I'm not in the club.

-Max