Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Epoxy Surface Plates

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Epoxy Surface Plates

I hope to have my table built it a week or so. I need to get frames out the door first. I've chosen to build mine on a 300lb piece of steel plate to give some heft when pulling and tugging if need be on repairs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Abouta half inch thick in two pours and about 400 bucks total for the epoxy, random bits, and the framing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Abouta half inch thick in two pours and about 400 bucks total for the epoxy, random bits, and the framing
    Care to share any pics?

Thanks
    Facebook - Flickr - Instagram
    Darrel Williams

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any updates or photos to add to this thread?

I want to build one!

Thanks,
    James nelson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'd missed this thread before. I ran a micro optics company a while back and was trying to get rid of a bunch of Melles Griot optical tables for the longest time. Small ones were like 2x5 feet and big ones were like 5x8 feet, plus one that was 5x14 feet. All were precision drilled with holes for mounting fixtures. They all went for under $100 each. Bolted plywood to the working surfaces and shipped on pallets -- cost about $175 to ship the biggest one from Seattle to St. Louis. These are great and yes, I should have thought about frame builders.

In addition to epoxy levelers, there are all thermally stable ceramics. You can torch on them all day. We were using high temperature lasers so we needed something that wasn't damaged by heat, plus they are extraordinarily stable -- no flex at all. You pour them over extruded aluminum matrix which gives them the stability to begin with, but they are immensely strong and don't need the support that epoxies do. People just aren't as familiar with the benefits of self-curing thermally stable ceramics. You drill them with diamond drills and coring bits and have sleeves (threaded or not) to support any hardware you want to mount.

We did use epoxy tables for some applications but simply poured them onto 1-inch Corten steel plate. It's used in skyscraper construction and you can always get cutoffs from larger scrap steel dealers for about $16 a square foot up to about a 5 foot square. We could support optical testing rigs that weighed up to about 350 lbs with less than micron deflections. Our biggest problem was vibration, which isn't an issue with frame building.
    Lane DeCamp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any use cases from one of these yet? Good or bad?

-James Nelson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Instagram

Also have thor labs tables

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
    People just aren't as familiar with the benefits of self-curing thermally stable ceramics.
    Lane

Got a link to some suppliers / spec sheets?
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bringing back and old thread.

Has anyone finished their epoxy surface plate project? If so, how is it holding up? I spoke with the owner at Precision Epoxy for a while today and it seems like it could be a great option.

Thanks.
    Brandon Poser
    BAHL Cycle Works
    brandon@bahlcycle.com
    www.bahlcycle.com
    Instagram: @bahlcycle

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BigPoser View Post
    Has anyone finished their epoxy surface plate project? If so, how is it holding up? I spoke with the owner at Precision Epoxy for a while today and it seems like it could be a great option.
    Brandon, I wonder if Precision Epoxy could give you some contacts of people that have used their product in other applications similar to ours? From that group you might be able to learn some tricks. For example I learned from one of my students that MDF board is available in different qualities and densities. I've been watching some youtube videos of woodworkers making workbenches and one of the carryovers that might apply to us is that they use big lumber for legs so nothing is likely to move. Of course if you know how to weld you can make your own legs and underneath support with steel square stock. I would also assume that you would attach the alignment post to the substructure and then pour the epoxy around it. You will be everybody's hero on frame building forums if you can show us how to make our own alignment table at a cost most can afford.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha, thanks Doug. I've been looking at the epoxy route as well as the granite route. I'm still waiting for Mike from Precision Epoxy to get me a quote. Interestingly enough, he suggests that I'd only need either a 1/4" or 1/2" total thickness. He mentioned that it would be plenty strong to perform an cold setting needed. Crazy if you ask me. The cool part is that you can put a threaded rod in place before you pour the epoxy and then basically unscrew it when it's set up. Then you have a threaded hole for whatever you need. And if the surface ever gets beat up you just pour another 1/4" layer on top. Pretty cool. I'd build a steel frame for it for sure though.
    Brandon Poser
    BAHL Cycle Works
    brandon@bahlcycle.com
    www.bahlcycle.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please share when you have info! I'd be stoked to be able to have a surface plate that's easier to move or get up to a 2nd floor w/out an elevator.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to be clear, when you say "1/4" total thickness" do you mean a 1/4" epoxy plate or a 1/4" epoxy surface laid onto a thick plate of some stronger, stiffer material?
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    Just to be clear, when you say "1/4" total thickness" do you mean a 1/4" epoxy plate or a 1/4" epoxy surface laid onto a thick plate of some stronger, stiffer material?
    They told me that the epoxy itself was 1/4" thick for each pour. If I go this route I'd pour it on a bed of steel plate of some kind though. I was told that MDF would work as a base as well.
    Brandon Poser
    BAHL Cycle Works
    brandon@bahlcycle.com
    www.bahlcycle.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234