Likes Likes:  0

Thread: V-Day menu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default V-Day menu

Anyone doing anything special? Mrs. Haole suggested that we do a bacon explosion. It got assembled last night and will be cooked up when I get home tonight. How can I say no to bacon explosion?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: V-Day menu

I have no idea what a bacon explosion is.... BUT I WANT PICTURES!!!! (and a recipe).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bacon Explosion: The BBQ Sausage Recipe of all Recipes - BBQ Addicts - BBQ Blog

this is the recipe that I followed. I made up my own bbq sauce from indeterminate quantities of cane vinegar, jufran banana sauce, sambal oelek, worcestershire sauce, black pepper, chili powder, garlic, molasses, fish sauce, lime juice and 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce for heat and smoke flavor.

I have pics of the assembly from last night on the cam. I will take more tonight during the cook and finish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am cooking salmon, but my recipe idea went up in smoke when I realized that there was wheat in the sauce. Any ideas for a simple glutten free receipe would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you plan on cooking it? If you have access to an outdoor grill, cedar plank gives a great result with a minimum of fuss. You may want to consider a misoyaki sauce of some sort - a mix of miso paste and soy sauce, or if the soy sauce is a problem due to wheat, some misoyaki recipes use sake or mirin in its place. Simple and gives a nice flavor - I have been doing chicken with it recently, but will do it on fish - it is a local staple in plate lunch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I are lazy. I'm making a pizza. Peel and slice a bulb of garlic. Decide that isn't enough and peel and slice the half a bulb from earlier this week. Slice up an onion. Stick the garlic in a frying pan with oil until the onion is sliced and then add the onion. Stir it around while you lay out the shell and put some red sauce on it. Cover the red sauce with dried oregano and basil. I mean cover it. You don't want to see any red sauce. Give it a couple whacks with the pepper grinder. Slice fresh mozz and arrange it, then sprinkle it with some asiago, some crumbled pecorino, some sharp provolone and some crumbled parmesan. Slice up some kalamata and black olives and stick them on there. Dig out the sundried tomato pesto and sprinkle some blobs around and then put on some of the sundried tomatoes in olive oil from the back behind that big jar of ghee. Don't use the ghee on the pizza, not that you were thinking of it or I ever have. Take four or five of the Roma tomatoes and cut the ends off and then cut them in half. Strip out the guts and slice the shells into little strips. By now the onions and garlic are sweated enough. Spread them on the pie, if you did it right they cover the whole thing in a thick solid layer. Spread the tomatoes, the same thing should happen. Sprinkle some pine nuts on it and throw it in the oven, which if you haven't gotten into the wine too hard you should have remembered to heat up to 450 degrees. Wait a while. When it smells and looks good, take it out and eat it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    How do you plan on cooking it? If you have access to an outdoor grill, cedar plank gives a great result with a minimum of fuss. You may want to consider a misoyaki sauce of some sort - a mix of miso paste and soy sauce, or if the soy sauce is a problem due to wheat, some misoyaki recipes use sake or mirin in its place. Simple and gives a nice flavor - I have been doing chicken with it recently, but will do it on fish - it is a local staple in plate lunch.
    I am a NYC apartment dweller so stove top in a pan. Soy is a no go but I could try that with tamari sauce, though I did something similar a few years ago paired with a cauliflower wasabi mash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you can bake in a miso sauce. the tamari might work for this. I made a sauce out of equal parts miso, sugar, soy, and beer (probably a cheap light lager is best) with a shake of cayenne.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you can bake in a miso sauce. the tamari might work for this. I made a sauce out of equal parts miso, sugar, soy, and beer (probably a cheap light lager is best) with a shake of cayenne.
    EDS - I do something similar that is essentially a marinade stolen from a bacon-wrapped shrimp recipe. Mix soy sauce, orange juice, and either honey or maple syrup to taste. Don't ask me how much exactly of each as I've never measured. Maybe start with a cup each of soy and orange juice and then a scoop of honey or pour of maple syrup and work from there. A wish will help mix in the honey. You could bake in that, marinate in that, etc. I usually cook down the leftover marinade until it turns syrupy and then drizzle on top.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone doing anything special? Mrs. Haole suggested that we do a bacon explosion. It got assembled last night and will be cooked up when I get home tonight. How can I say no to bacon explosion?
    So much awesomeness.
    No special dinner. I covered the front of our house with hearts awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
    Welll, I did make a bunch of corn tortillas that got buttered and salted or slathered with maunahaole's honey. Queen went nuts for that, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    So much awesomeness.
    No special dinner. I covered the front of our house with hearts awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
    Welll, I did make a bunch of corn tortillas that got buttered and salted or slathered with maunahaole's honey. Queen went nuts for that, thanks.
    I figured that you had something up your sleeve as I'm sure that there is something cool on the menu pretty much every night at your place. Glad to know that I could help in making a special day for the Queen. You managed to snag yourself a good one there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EddieBirdsell View Post
    EDS - I do something similar that is essentially a marinade stolen from a bacon-wrapped shrimp recipe. Mix soy sauce, orange juice, and either honey or maple syrup to taste. Don't ask me how much exactly of each as I've never measured. Maybe start with a cup each of soy and orange juice and then a scoop of honey or pour of maple syrup and work from there. A wish will help mix in the honey. You could bake in that, marinate in that, etc. I usually cook down the leftover marinade until it turns syrupy and then drizzle on top.
    That sounds like a good one. Think I am going to role with a tamari/mirin/ginger/brown sugar marinade. Will bake the salmon and then have some brown rice and steamed veggies as sides.

Not bad for a dude who only cooks once a year!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keeping it very simple. Roast chicken with black truffle butter, glazed carrots, and haricot verts. Cooking right now while I enjoy a Peeper Ale.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was tacos and Tecate.

Feliz Día de San Valentín

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged