Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tortillas: School me

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tortillas: School me

I'm a little stumped. There is, it would seem, nothing simpler to make than a tortilla.
    Masa + water > dough ball > press > heat on dry cast iron. Got it?
    No so fast. My buddies Costa Rican wife says they are no good. Her mom's tortillas puff
    up and are more flakey. What is the secret? Baking powder, leavening?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Tortillas: School me

Corn tortillas are a bit of an "art". You have to balance the water/masa ratio and masas vary in water content depending on how they were stored and the humidity where you are. Sounds like your tortillas are too dry. Try using slightly warmish water and add a little more water than the recipe calls for. Knead a bit more than you did before and aim for a dough that is a little wetter and sticker than your first try. Let it rest for 30-60 minutes before you press. The dough will dry during the rest as the water gets absorbed by the masa.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by summilux View Post
    Corn tortillas are a bit of an "art". You have to balance the water/masa ratio and masas vary in water content depending on how they were stored and the humidity where you are. Sounds like your tortillas are too dry. Try using slightly warmish water and add a little more water than the recipe calls for. Knead a bit more than you did before and aim for a dough that is a little wetter and sticker than your first try. Let it rest for 30-60 minutes before you press. The dough will dry during the rest as the water gets absorbed by the masa.
    I'm all over it like a cheap suit. Thank you. Masa is cheap, I can do this all day until it is right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you've got the time, try making the tortilla entirely by hand. Squeeze dough ball between your palms and then use fingers to press it into a circular shape. It's quite hard to do this properly, kinda like making your own sushi. I've never got this to work well, but there's always hope.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another factor is whether you use "instant" masa ("masa harina") or the more authentic dough made out of ground hominy. I prefer the dough and find that it makes vastly superior tamales and tortillas (and great masa boats for parties - you can put all sorts of cool fillings inside). If you live in an area with Mexican-American or Central American neighborhoods/communities, you should be able to easily find a bakery or meat shop ("Carniciera") with freshly made masa dough. And it's pretty cheap. - Oh, and the ladies behind the counter will be more than happy to discuss their tortilla making techniques! :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...and here's a link with a recipe from Diana Kennedy re using fresh masa dough for tortillas:

Handmade Corn Tortillas Recipe - 101 Cookbooks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by El Chorizo View Post
    ...and here's a link with a recipe from Diana Kennedy re using fresh masa dough for tortillas:

Handmade Corn Tortillas Recipe - 101 Cookbooks
    Good read thanks. I had no idea that maybe I could walk into local hispanic supermarkets and get fresh masa. Hello nurse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Updated semi-success.
    I've changed masa flour and am using something that is a little rougher and otherwise doing the same as before. The tortillas are coming out consistent and are really good. Last night we had fresh off the Big Green Egg crisp turkey skin and dark meat tortillas with avacado and tomato. Paired with the insanely good hot sauces Garro sends I'm done.
    There is something to these corn tortillas, go figure 1000's of yrs. will teach us a thing or two.
    FWIIW I've given up on the "puffy" tortilla goal. Either this is some sort of fable or it is not that important. They taste great to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I'm all over it like a cheap suit. Thank you. Masa is cheap, I can do this all day until it is right.
    Hells yeah, get a 10# sack and make a mess. thanks for the thread. i was doing okay with my double skillet pressmo, but will make me a wooden press when i tackle this one again.

what i find is that it's better to be on the dry side than wet. too much sticktion when overdamp.

the flavor is unbeatable.

actually planting some corn this year from which i hope to make some hominy and masa.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WadePatton View Post
    Hells yeah, get a 10# sack and make a mess. thanks for the thread. i was doing okay with my double skillet pressmo, but will make me a wooden press when i tackle this one again.

what i find is that it's better to be on the dry side than wet. too much sticktion when overdamp.

the flavor is unbeatable.

actually planting some corn this year from which i hope to make some hominy and masa.
    No you aren't. You are making shine and we know it. I'll be there ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WadePatton View Post
    Now that's hard-core. I've always wanted to plant some wheat and make my own bread from it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by summilux View Post
    Now that's hard-core. I've always wanted to plant some wheat and make my own bread from it.
    summilux - FYI, interesting article for you if you have not seen it.

Artisanal Wheat On the Rise | People & Places | Smithsonian Magazine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the link, I hadn't seen that before.
    I read articles like that and I think, man I'm in the wrong place and in the wrong job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

each region has there own torillas, here is another good recipe: Flour Tortillas

2 cups flour
    1 ½ tsp baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    2 tsp oil
    ¾ cup to 1 cup lukewarm milk

Sift flour and baking powder together. Add salt and oil to lukewarm milk and whisk. Gradually add the flour and work into a sticky dough. Knead on a dusted surface for about 2 mins. Return to bowl and cover with a damp cloth and leave for 15mins. Divide into 8 balls of equal size. Cover and leave for another 20 mins (don’t let them touch). Dust surface with flour and roll to round shapes about 3-4mmthick.
    Transfer to hot dry skillet and cook until you see bubbles. Flip and cook other side.
    To keep fresh, keep warm and covered with a damp cloth.
    These freeze well
    Last edited by Too Tall; 02-24-2012 at 08:18 AM. Reason: oops milk not water, also use a well seasoned usa made cast iron skillet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No kidding, milk? I'll give it a try. Thanks Freddie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We made puffy tacos from our own homemade tortillas. It was after watching Bobby Flay do a throw-down. It involved deep frying. And it was delicious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jwb96 View Post
    We made puffy tacos from our own homemade tortillas. It was after watching Bobby Flay do a throw-down. It involved deep frying. And it was delicious.
    Understood. Deep frying for the Costa Rican guests is a non-starter...it's go fresh or go home with that crowd.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We did tortillas this past weekend to go with the carnitas from the other thread. Seemed to come out right, not doughy in the middle, didnt break when folded. Not even trying to get to puffy at this point (instant masa). No iron skillet in our house yet, so just used a crap stainless skillet with a copper core bottom - worked OK. Important factors seemed to be properly preheated cook surface as #1. The instructions on the masa bag said about 50 seconds per side. This seemed to be right, but I think that the visual cue is to flip when the first wisps of smoke come up - just when it begins to get some char. Also important not to press too hard when flattening the dough, as the edge under the handle gets pressed too thin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I'm a little stumped. There is, it would seem, nothing simpler to make than a tortilla.
    Masa + water > dough ball > press > heat on dry cast iron. Got it?
    No so fast. My buddies Costa Rican wife says they are no good. Her mom's tortillas puff
    up and are more flakey. What is the secret? Baking powder, leavening?
    Tha flakey, puffy tortilla comes from the added FAT. You are missing some type of fat. We use shorting , it is called manteca in Costa Rica. Just play with the ratios, you need Masa, water, little salt and fat. My wife uses olive oil instead of manteca to keep tortillas more healthy but any type of fat will do.

If you want the best Costa Rican style tortilla add Queso Fresco to the dough. I am sure you can get it there, it is a fresh salty very white cheese. It will crumble to touch and will make tortillas great.

Jose.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast