Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Baum Cycles

Quote Originally Posted by BryanF View Post
    Darren,

What's the story behind the unique chainstay design on the Corretto? I mean, they look pretty rad, but I assume there's some thinking in there beyond how they look...
    Bryan,

What we believe in is constant chainstay diameter with external butting which maintains optimal grain orientation.
    The scallops lower the vertical height at the drop-out attchament for better chain clearance and at the same time shifting the chain-stay inboard thus increasing heel clearance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ty-ro View Post
    Heck, I'm thinking of hopping a plane down to Sacramento ONLY to visit the Baum booth!
    If you miss the show we always welcome visitors at the workshop :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    D.B., your aesthetic is the thing that "got" me than hearing about you is what will make me a devotee.
    If I can be so bold, if you ever have a customer on the East Coast USA who needs a pre-sales fitting I'm your man.
    Hi,

Fitting is always one of my favorite subjects, what is your methodology?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Darren,

Welcome to S.O. Just a few questions..

Love your work which goes beyond building frames. Impressive presentation from top to bottom. I also really like your eye for composition and color. You've got some serious design chops. Where does that come from? What do you do away from bikes (if you are..ever)?

Keep up the great work!
    dmc
    Darren Crisp
    crisptitanium.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Baum View Post
    Hi,

Fitting is always one of my favorite subjects, what is your methodology?
    First is to study what your method is and make sure that I'm able to supply the builder with exactly what they normally want to see. If you have a spec. on your website or send it to me I'll use that. Regardless of the aforementioned I will always include: a few snapshots of the rider outside in the drops and tops, current bicycle geo and contact points (before and after I make adjustments if necessary).

Sizing is your world however I will say if their current (adjusted) bike is correct.

Also, I'll give you a brief assessment of the rider. I'm not a bicycle designer and don't pretend to play one on TV ;) I charge the client a set price up front and send the results directly to you with a "CC" to the client.

My method when aside from builders requirements is to go for a ride with the client and carry some tools and possibly a stem. This is my favorite way to size bikes. Sometimes folks do not know how to sit on a bike and that in itself can hinder going forward with fitting. Thus, I'm prepared to do a little coaching on the road before we adjust the bike. In cases where the client has no bike or their current bike can not be adjusted I use a Calfee sizing bicycle. The Calfee is really pretty ideal for doing this because I can achieve a very reasonable setup that the client understands and can pedal. Once I've dialed in the basic ST/TT, Setback and stem (I use a Salsa adjustable) I will have them pedal very hard while I slowly wind the top tube adjuster out until either they squeak in protest or I see a change in their lower back....rinse and repeat until I am certain they are not compensating and the TT length is nailed. Drop is something I have a strong opinion on and can't explain it in print. All I can say is I know when it is right and I know when it is wrong. FWIIW Everyone on g-ds green earth who has drop bars should be able to reach and use the drops.
    How am I doing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First off let me say I find your work inspiring- thanks for taking the time to get smoked out!

You mention you are building primary in Ti these days- was this a conscious decision or a matter of the 'market' demand?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have to say that the greatest influence outside of the industry has been having the opportunity to work with some brilliant old school tradesmen.
    They have a wealth of skills and knowledge to teach and if you are willing to listen it is yours for the taking.

Darren
    I'd like people to know that this is not a one way street with Darren.

A couple of years ago I went to his workshop and spent a (very*) hot summer afternoon talking to him about my crazy ideas regarding the interaction between the acoustic properties of frame materials and what we call "ride quality". Darren listened carefully, asked penentrating questions and offered me a great deal of help and advice on the subject and on the bike trade in general. He made a very generous offer to assist with my research which I was unfortunately not able to take up.

The bikes are beautiful but in this case the beauty is not just skin deep; there's some serious thinking going on in the background.

*This was the day that is now known here as "Black Saturday" - record temperatures (49 degrees in Geelong where we live - that's over 120 for those who still haven't caught up with the rest of the world) and whole towns engulfed in fire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=darren crisp;369195]Hi Darren,

Welcome to S.O. Just a few questions..

Love your work which goes beyond building frames. Impressive presentation from top to bottom. I also really like your eye for composition and color. You've got some serious design chops. Where does that come from? What do you do away from bikes (if you are..ever)?

Darren,
    firstly l must say that l love your work, when we first established Baum we considered a few other names including "Mint" and "Crisp". Its fantastic to see the name Crisp associated with quality bikes. Our GT paint series was designed when we built a bike for a current Pro cyclist whom being under contract could not ride the Baum delivery. We had painted his previous bike's plain white delivery so they could be decalled by another manufacturer if needed. When he returned for a fixed gear bike that there was no chance of him racing on, we ignored his request for White, asked for his favorite colour and delivered it in current GT font with his initials and a significant date for him along with the GT stripes because his favorite car is the GT Cobra. Having a high profile he attracted alot of attention and we had customers requesting a similiar scheme. It continues to evolve. Outside of bikes?? Motor racing is good :) Moto GP, F1, V8 Supercars etc... I have an understanding wife and 2 boys aged 6 and 8 and that basically fills in 25hrs a day.
    Cheers
    Darren

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    I'd like people to know that this is not a one way street with Darren.

A couple of years ago I went to his workshop and spent a (very*) hot summer afternoon talking to him about my crazy ideas regarding the interaction between the acoustic properties of frame materials and what we call "ride quality". Darren listened carefully, asked penentrating questions and offered me a great deal of help and advice on the subject and on the bike trade in general. He made a very generous offer to assist with my research which I was unfortunately not able to take up.

The bikes are beautiful but in this case the beauty is not just skin deep; there's some serious thinking going on in the background.

*This was the day that is now known here as "Black Saturday" - record temperatures (49 degrees in Geelong where we live - that's over 120 for those who still haven't caught up with the rest of the world) and whole towns engulfed in fire.

Mark,

I remember that day well, absolutely the hottest day l have spent in the workshop but l can recall what we spoke about. We then drove down to Ocean Grove to a friends house and watched and listened as our state burned and hundreds of people lost their lives.
    Your acoustic theory intrigued and challenged me, and strangly since l have had 2 people approach me with "this may be hard to understand, but l have an acoustic theory on bikes"!! l hope the winemaking is going well.
    Darren

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosko View Post
    First off let me say I find your work inspiring- thanks for taking the time to get smoked out!

You mention you are building primary in Ti these days- was this a conscious decision or a matter of the 'market' demand?
    Hi,
    It was never a conscious decision to increase the percentage of building in Ti, if anything it happened too quickly with demand going from %100 steel production to
    %90 Ti. We put it down to Australia not having an established Ti builder when demand increased.
    Darren

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    First is to study what your method is and make sure that I'm able to supply the builder with exactly what they normally want to see. If you have a spec. on your website or send it to me I'll use that. Regardless of the aforementioned I will always include: a few snapshots of the rider outside in the drops and tops, current bicycle geo and contact points (before and after I make adjustments if necessary).

Sizing is your world however I will say if their current (adjusted) bike is correct.

Also, I'll give you a brief assessment of the rider. I'm not a bicycle designer and don't pretend to play one on TV ;) I charge the client a set price up front and send the results directly to you with a "CC" to the client.

My method when aside from builders requirements is to go for a ride with the client and carry some tools and possibly a stem. This is my favorite way to size bikes. Sometimes folks do not know how to sit on a bike and that in itself can hinder going forward with fitting. Thus, I'm prepared to do a little coaching on the road before we adjust the bike. In cases where the client has no bike or their current bike can not be adjusted I use a Calfee sizing bicycle. The Calfee is really pretty ideal for doing this because I can achieve a very reasonable setup that the client understands and can pedal. Once I've dialed in the basic ST/TT, Setback and stem (I use a Salsa adjustable) I will have them pedal very hard while I slowly wind the top tube adjuster out until either they squeak in protest or I see a change in their lower back....rinse and repeat until I am certain they are not compensating and the TT length is nailed. Drop is something I have a strong opinion on and can't explain it in print. All I can say is I know when it is right and I know when it is wrong. FWIIW Everyone on g-ds green earth who has drop bars should be able to reach and use the drops.
    How am I doing?

Josh,
    l like your approach, it shows knowledge/experience and care which should never be under-rated. On how you are doing..... thats not my job, l leave that to the customer to judge. Feedback is golden, listening is an essential skill that we all should master. Have checked your website and l'm sure that you have many happy customers out there. Are you coming to NAHBS? Dare you to try and fit me :D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regrets, I will not be at this NAHBS and will certainly attend the next. Fit you on a bike? A dare? There will be alcohol. Just sayin'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mark,

I remember that day well,
    I think we all will for a long time.

l hope the winemaking is going well.
    Darren
    Thanks. I work on contract each Vintage while studying (PhD on energy efficiency in winery processes). We're in the thick of it at the moment - best season I've seen for at least a decade, following 2011 which was the worst season for 37 years. Everything is, however, ripening at once so we're under the hammer - we're already at 20k tonnes where last year by this stage we'd done about 2k of the 46k we put through.

Maybe I can help with the alcohol if you and TooTall get together - I was also a Brewer for several years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Steel Tig - The most under-rated building material by the general public, something we need to change."

Hi Darren,
    Could you please elaborate on your feelings about tig welded steel? I have a tig'd Ritchey Logic that is a great riding all around road bike. I would say that welded steel beads aren't as sexy as the double pass ti ones, and arguably both aren't as "crafted" as lugs or fillets, but it still takes a lot of experience to do it right. Why don't we see more welded frames? How do you feel the ride differs between tig'd frames and brazed ones?
    thanks,
    Bryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    I think we all will for a long time.

Thanks. I work on contract each Vintage while studying (PhD on energy efficiency in winery processes). We're in the thick of it at the moment - best season I've seen for at least a decade, following 2011 which was the worst season for 37 years. Everything is, however, ripening at once so we're under the hammer - we're already at 20k tonnes where last year by this stage we'd done about 2k of the 46k we put through.

Maybe I can help with the alcohol if you and TooTall get together - I was also a Brewer for several years.
    Good bikes, beer and wine. All seem to go together seamlessly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

darren,why do you prefer slope instead of classic geometry?
    thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Without meaning to flaunt my own wares, Darren is currently building my second Baum - the first (a Ti Corretto) can be seen on the Baum thread in the gallery and will come with me to my grave. Truly a dream bike.

Anyway, for the second bike the guys at Baum are sending me shots of the build which I am posting up on my blog. Again, apologies for the self-promo, but I think a few of you might be interested. Here are the first two instalments of pictures from Baum:

Project Baum: Tubes & Prep
    Project Baum: Taking Shape

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Darren's gig is the best proffie operation to grow up here in the land down under
    good stuff
    It is a good operation
    there has been over the last 3 decades lots of frame builders who did the bespoke reputation no good at all down here
    I have admired Darren's operation for some years now
    if I cranked up the TARDIS
    and I was a young pimple faced Dazza I would be knocking on his door for job

hey Darren , I enjoy those 2 plus hour phone chats ;-) !
    Cheers Dazza
    The rock star is dying. And it's a small tragedy. Rock stars have blogs now. I have no use for that kind of rock star.
    Nick Cave

www.llewellynbikes.com
    The usual Facebook page
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/llewellyncustombicycles/
    Darrell Llewellyn McCulloch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    Darren's gig is the best proffie operation to grow up here in the land down under
    good stuff
    It is a good operation
    there has been over the last 3 decades lots of frame builders who did the bespoke reputation no good at all down here
    I have admired Darren's operation for some years now
    if I cranked up the TARDIS
    and I was a young pimple faced Dazza I would be knocking on his door for job

hey Darren , I enjoy those 2 plus hour phone chats ;-) !
    it looks impressive from here, too!

Darren,
    I am wondering how you "grew" your company. I'm sure (I think) that you probably started off on your own, and at some point you added folks to your business. I'm wondering at what point did you decide to do this and why (financial/production/stress)? How did you find people that you could work with and how much of Baum Cycles is Darren Baum at the helm? Was it a difficult transition? What was the first position added to your sole proprietorship? From the outside it looks seamless and that everyone knows what work they have to do.

p.s., if you've already answered this somewhere else, a link would be great. i know production time is gold.

thanks!
    darren
    Darren Crisp
    crisptitanium.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast