Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Crisp Titanium

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Crisp Titanium

I did my site myself, as well. The difference being, you can tell. I know what you mean about alone. In Germany, if you own your own business, you are "selbständig" Translated: Selbst = yourself (as in do it yourself) and ständig = always.

The zillions of Italians sound just like the Germans. "how can you not want to live in the USA?" They forget that they only know "vacation America". It doesn't matter where you live. Even if you live on a paradise island, 50 of the 52 weeks in a year you have to work and pay taxes. If you hate the work you do, the palm trees won't make you happy.
    Cheers
    Kevin

PolyTube Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darren crisp View Post

In these last few years, I have really become introspective. I've always been goal oriented as you have probably noticed from my previous passages. This has begun to change. Not sure why, but it could be from age, seeing my kids grow up, whatever. I really have had to kick myself to slow down, but now I frequently find myself looking at bugs, watching the trees, or just looking off into the distance (could be my welding hood is too tight, huh?). I've never stopped to appreciate the Forest Gump life that I've led. Never stop long enough when I finish a frame to say, "what a nice piece of work" or to just sit with the fact that I've made something from nothing that will give adventure to someone long after I'm gone.
    I think it's because we really don't live WHERE WE AREs.
    darren
    Thanks for your story. Darren - this part really resonates with me.
    I think it's a good thing, introspection - I think it's the opposite to the mid-life crisis, the mid-life anti-crisis, maybe.
    I'm exactly the same way. I catch my thoughts wandering to all the parts of the world I've been and considering how they got me here, and even though I'm in the chair (and maybe because) really concentrating on the good parts, appreciating the tiny bits of it all.
    That being said, I suffer fools less and less like a grumpy old dog, too!

I like how you worked throughout the non-glamourous metal fab and took the skills - I built big custom whitewater rafting frames and whitewater gear, out of Aluminum. You wore clothes from goodwill as the Al-oxide was so foul, but it showed me I could run a file happily for hours, days.

I bet you would like my buddy Lars who does metal framework for Dale Chihuli.

I remember once you said "Ten days is the perfect amount of time to build a bike" Can you elaborate?
    I'm a pretty deliberate builder so I wonder about your thoughts.

Do you miss Tex-Mex?
    - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by datas_brother View Post
    I did my site myself, as well. The difference being, you can tell. I know what you mean about alone. In Germany, if you own your own business, you are "selbständig" Translated: Selbst = yourself (as in do it yourself) and ständig = always.

The zillions of Italians sound just like the Germans. "how can you not want to live in the USA?" They forget that they only know "vacation America". It doesn't matter where you live. Even if you live on a paradise island, 50 of the 52 weeks in a year you have to work and pay taxes. If you hate the work you do, the palm trees won't make you happy.
    Hey Kevin,
    Props to you for learning German. I spent some time there on jobs and really enjoyed it. I always left feeling small and flaccid b/c I could never learn that language. Way to different than my muttering around in Italian.

WRT to the website, heck, if you liked it, you'd have nothing to look forward to fixing, right??

WRT Vacation America, that vacation ends as soon as the tourist visa is up at 3 months. From then on its "illegal alien" or get off the duff and make shit happen. It's hard enough being legal. Public opinion changes wrt Tuscan beauty when you have to pay the tax man in Italy, at least for me. It's just a shame how they spend it..

-d
    Darren Crisp
    crisptitanium.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    Thanks for your story. Darren - this part really resonates with me.
    I think it's a good thing, introspection - I think it's the opposite to the mid-life crisis, the mid-life anti-crisis, maybe.
    I'm exactly the same way. I catch my thoughts wandering to all the parts of the world I've been and considering how they got me here, and even though I'm in the chair (and maybe because) really concentrating on the good parts, appreciating the tiny bits of it all.
    That being said, I suffer fools less and less like a grumpy old dog, too!

- Garro.
    hey Steve

i think i'm coming out of my mid-life crisis. i think looking around is a result of that. i let life pass me by, always looking ahead and never stopping to see what i had accomplished.always afraid about "what if". i think seeing myself in my little ones hits me in a place that is isolated from time. kids don't really think about consequences..only pure expression. they are playing in the now, not the tomorrow or the net 30.

i think living in Italy is also similar to this reality. life here (outside of my frenetic encapsulated world) seems to be operating at a different pace. i notice this when i'm standing in line at the grocery store, watching people pay with cash, counting pennies. i see it when they take an espresso break or when, when walking with a friend, they actually stop in mid stride, gesticulating with movements that to me seem to be slow motion. gas pumps just became digital about 10 years around these parts and i don't think there's one in the whole country that you can stick a debit card into. there's a full serve island at every station, although i've yet to see anyone check under the hood. just lots of chatting going on.old people everywhere....mayberry stuff. i dig the shit out of it
    Darren Crisp
    crisptitanium.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post

I remember once you said "Ten days is the perfect amount of time to build a bike" Can you elaborate?
    I'm a pretty deliberate builder so I wonder about your thoughts.

- Garro.
    well, i wish i had 10 days to build a bike. that for me would be grand. it actually takes me 10+ to get one out the door just b/c i have lots going on during the day. here's my typical day:

6.30 rise and shine
    7.00-8.00 get my oldest one up, breakfast, clothed, she takes off with the mrs.
    8.00-9.30 get my youngest up, breakfast, clothed, i'll get her to school
    9.00-11.30 email/design/coms
    11.30-13.00 ride/run whatever i can do to move
    13.00-15.00 pick up kids from school, get 'em fed
    15.00-20.00 wife returns to find me in the shop or in front of a computer (hopefully the former)
    20.00 feedbag
    21.00 kids in jammies, daddy with book or more email. maybe a lemoncello if i've been good.

i could build a ti bike in about 1.5 days in a perfect work world. but as you can see from above, i don't have/want that. you'll notice that all the free time with my kids is spent clothing, feeding or preparing them for something. not a lot of real 'daddy' time. that's something i'm always trying to work on. one of the reasons i left construction was to be able to work at home. i've found with young kids, you either compromise your work schedule or your kids.

now..do i miss tex-mex you ask me?? here i am getting off the plane..not even to mom's house..

i won't show you the photo of the donut shop..there may be kids reading this..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Darren Crisp
    crisptitanium.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

... one of the reasons i left construction was to be able to work at home. i've found with young kids, you either compromise your work schedule or your kids...
    Thanks for writing about that, Darren.

edit: It's funny, after reading your post I sat down to write out the list of things I want to get done today...my daughter came up to me, pointed at the list and said, "write play with Maddy". Looks like I have to realign my priorities for today.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VertigoCycles View Post
    Thanks for writing about that, Darren.

edit: It's funny, after reading your post I sat down to write out the list of things I want to get done today...my daughter came up to me, pointed at the list and said, "write play with Maddy". Looks like I have to realign my priorities for today.
    I hear ya. Mine seem to always bring me the list while the argon purge is flowing. Like a clock ticking...

I still get that guilty feeling when I have to close the doors and lock the world (kids) out (when the welding starts). I may feel like a codger, but then I think back to when I was gone from home for 4-5 months at a time on a job. I couldn't imagine doing that now. Even if I've got the door closed, at a certain time it will open and I'll be "home". It's also great in the summer when I can hear them yelling and playing outside just a few meters away from the shop. That, to me, is priceless.
    Darren Crisp
    crisptitanium.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those in Euroland during the month of March: A few of your framebuilding brethren, including your's truly, will be here with some goods on show. Come out and support your local metal and fiber workers..

Bespoked BristolThe UK Handmade Bicycle Show 2012
    Darren Crisp
    crisptitanium.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

D.C.,
    What is your favorite bicycle ride that's greater than 4 or 5 hrs. If it is a secret, fine don't give locale details. What's your bike setup or does it matter? Me? The most fantastic rides are all 8 hrs. + riding anything that fits me with a good pal who like riding two up. New Mexico high country is "IT" for me.

What is your greatest challenge?

Kudos for being the solid dewd you are. I ALWAYS pay attention to how artists conduct their lives away from the studio.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi TT,
    well, i don't get out for longer rides like the olden days. last summer, i think 3-4 hrs was my max. i just don't have the time to put in the base miles. heck, i bonked on a group ride a few months ago as we were approaching 80-85km. depressing to think about.

if i can get away during the summer, leaving early in the morning, i love to go to Pienza and pass through Montepulciano and Chianciano Terme. it is the rolling-ist, most beautiful scenery that one can imagine (if you like rolling tuscan hills). postcard-like stuff.

a few years back, i stopped with all the computery, on-board stuff and cardio instruments b/c i was consumed with things like race preparation and training schedules and the likes. the rides became more work than play. man, when i got rid of all that stuff and all the bleeping noises (i was always anaerobic) i didn't realized what a beautiful place this really was.

my ride, we'll it's not much to look at. i'll have to snap a picture of it tomorrow in the daylight. i only have a shot of it when i was messing around with the finish (it looks pretty different from the photo). it's a pretty big frame, around a 60-ish. i tried to compact it down at the headtube b/c i hate big bikes (like mine) that have a 200mm ht and such a large space between the downtube and the top tube. but what's a girl to do. i'm tall, no way to make it look perty without me throwing out my back with a half-meter of saddle-bar drop.

what kind of challenges are you interested in? Personal, business, both? i've got lots of challenges..be glad to discuss but i don't want to bore if i go off on another plane..

thanks for the questions. back with a snapshot of the bike if the sun rises tomorrow..

ciao!
    Last edited by darren crisp; 01-28-2012 at 01:44 PM. Reason: spelling..
    Darren Crisp
    crisptitanium.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here are a couple of shot from my house/street. just to give you an idea of some seasonal/environmental sights. i'm about 2k from the bottom of a 7km climb. each corner view gets better and better. problem is i usually pass out from lack of fitness before getting to the top :). if you look real hard, on the horizon to the left, you can see montepulciano.
    Darren Crisp
    crisptitanium.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here's one for Dario..he likes cinghiali. i almost brought this one home in the trunk. they're all over the place where i live..like squirrels in tx..only tastier!
    Darren Crisp
    crisptitanium.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    What's your bike setup or does it matter?
    Here's my road bike setup.it's the same frame as show above. Pretty simple setup:
    1.5 tapered fork
    Force Group
    Wheelsmith spokes on King hubs on Stans rims
    oval and bendy stays. pretty GF setup.
    Darren Crisp
    crisptitanium.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ciao! Prendo l'occasione di invitare anche i miei amici Italiani al mio spazio su Smoked Out. Purtroppo a causa dei miei impegni lavorativi e famiglari, riesco a participare poco nei vari forum, anche se mi piacerebbe farlo. Quindi se posso rispondere alle vostre domande, non esitare. Buona pedalata! -darren
    Darren Crisp
    crisptitanium.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just for a laugh:
    here's me about 17 years ago, getting familiar with mig welding and copper brazing on some work i did for a friend's wedding...still no bike production..

cs_94_dh085.jpg

below making some railing, posts or some other odd metallic product. what a mess. i should have applied for a cleaning position.

cs_94_084.jpg

needless to say, a part of the steel shop burned down (no, not b/c of me..) so we built a new massive shop just a year or so after this pic was taken. Here I am in the (new) shop with frame No.1 somewhere between '94 and '95. True Temper tubes on HJ lugs. Life was so simple then..

cs_95_1086.jpg

notice the Talbot photocopy on the table...
    Darren Crisp
    crisptitanium.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ciao! Prendo l'occasione di invitare anche i miei amici Italiani al mio spazio su Smoked Out. Purtroppo a causa dei miei impegni lavorativi e famiglari, riesco a participare poco nei vari forum, anche se mi piacerebbe farlo. Quindi se posso rispondere alle vostre domande, non esitare. Buona pedalata! -darren
    Hi Darren your italian friends are waiting to come and see you asap to have a good ride around the beautiful countryside where you live!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Darren,
    It's Fabrizio from 2011 Pegoraduno, it's a plesaure to read from you.

I'm curious about the Iditabike mtbs, what's the story of the project? difficolties?doubts?goals?

I look forward to meeting you at 2012 pegoraduno, and Tiziana too, she keep asking
    T "that handsome american guy will attend too?"
    I "only if I can order him a new frame"
    T"You are staying HOME"
    I"Darling..."
    T"HOME!!!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

double post
    Last edited by Boar; 01-30-2012 at 08:09 AM. Reason: double post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sdg71 View Post
    Hi Darren your italian friends are waiting to come and see you asap to have a good ride around the beautiful countryside where you live!!!
    Hi Nicola, if it stays THIS cold, I will either have to follow you in the car or wait for your return by the fire with a coffee or a warm bowl of soup (or a beer)!
    Darren Crisp
    crisptitanium.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boar View Post
    Hi Darren,

I'm curious about the Iditabike mtbs, what's the story of the project? difficolties?doubts?goals?
    Ciao Fabrizio,
    the Iditabikes were quite a new building experience for me. I have been fortunate enough to collaborate and sponsor Ausilia Vistarini for a number of years now and for the Iditabike I also did a deal with her compagnion, Sebastiano. These two have a way of cycling that appeals to me greatly and when they approached me with their idea I jumped at the chance. Not only to participate, but to learn a new type of frame fabrication style.

The project presented many obstacles to me. I had never built a bike running 90+mm tires and a 100mm bb shell. My friends Brad and Butch at Moots were a great help in getting things rolling as they have had years of experience making similar bikes for Mike Curiak. Once I had an idea of the transmission (singlespeed with a 10x cassette), then it was all about building the tubes around the rings and wheels. Obviously for the first build, I needed to make a full scale layout of the rear. That looked like this. Once that was done, it was pretty easy after building some special parts to fit my fixtures (larger rear axle, purge fittings for the non-standard parts).

snowtranny.jpg

There were a few problems with that first build. First of all, they wanted single-speed drivetrains. That in itself is not really a problem, but when we added brakes (braking is risky business when you're out by yourself 500 miles in the wilderness on ice) the dropout selection was not the ideal solution. In a time crunch, I built a slider system which moves the rear axle together with the brakes. Basically what a Paragon sliding d.o. does, only more complicated. The only problem is that when you're tying to maneuver small parts with a hex key and wrench when it's -25C, you realize that sliding minuscule parts have no place here. After the 2012 race, I will most likely pull the rear triangles of both frames and rebuild to a simpler design.

Another aspect of the frame is that your chainline is constrained by the size of the tire. So even if you have a 10x cassette in the back, you're only going to be using 4-5 of the cogs as the chain approaches the tire (it really is FAT) as you move up the gears.

All in all, it was a complicated build and I spent a number of hours on the learning curve which doesn't make money for the business. I spent a lot of time that could have been spent moving other projects through the shop but it's one of those challenges that sometimes you just have to confront. Now that I've got the bending schedules and a few builds behind me, I'd know what to expect and have the capacity to build it much quicker and with more efficiency.

As far as the goal, it was to give them a dependable ride from start to finish. I followed the race in real time and really wanted things to go well, which they obviously did. The last thing I want is for them to be stranded out in the wilderness with something that I neglected to consider.

Thanks for the questions Fabrizio. I look forward to seeing you and yours at the Pegoraduno! -darren
    Darren Crisp
    crisptitanium.com