User Tag List

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Coffee-Home Roasting (the other green bean)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Coffee-Home Roasting (the other green bean)

Well, it looks really good and trust me you have NOT ruined 9 lbs of coffee to get there ask me how I know.

I'm roasting Sweet Marias "Ethiopique" which is one of their blends and it is really really good. I'm roasting it well into first crack and stopping it before second starts to roll. Cooling is done in colander with a shop vac setup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, this tipped just into second crack, a but further than id like, but I had read the Behmor lacked power. in 9:30 i was at 1st crack already, i didn't expect the momentum to carry so well. Id expect it'll take 20 or so roasts to understand the nuances of my machine, but im impressed so far. i didn't think id be happy with its capabilities coming from a commercial setting, but i was fairly pleased with the sensory feedback and amount of control.

when i learn the machine, ill delve into my preferred african coffees, your ethiopia blend sounds very good, that is generally my favorite region, Guji or Yirge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any suggestions for tasty beans in stock at SM? I've enjoyed Central American, South American, and African beans.

I've been roasting for myself and a few of the folks at work, so I'm moving through 20lbs pretty quickly. I'm coming up on a reorder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

defspace I am really enjoying the Peruvian I picked up in my last order. I've roasted for espresso mostly but one time was able to finesse a lighter roast that was quite nice in an Aeropress.

https://www.sweetmarias.com/product/...lo-del-cautivo

I also have been using the Ethopiques that TT mentioned, and have a bag of the revised "Ethiopiques 2.0" but haven't dialed in that roast yet.

/gkk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shoogs View Post
    Attachment 103131Attachment 103132

I picked up this set up used (Quest M3 and a air scrubber/bean cooler) from a friend...he's getting into bikes and knows coffee well so we're sharing knowledge. After previously roasting at his house, last night was my first roast at home. The Quest is a nice machine, I've been impressed thus far. The bean cooler is stupid fast.

Roasted 2 Columbians (Tolima, and 8982) and a Brazil. Roasted to a 20% development time. I very much prefer a light/medium roast.
    Oh nice idea on the scrubber, i ummm err happen to have one of these im not sure what to do with at the moment. this would be a great use for it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mzilliox View Post
    My wife picked up a Behmor 1600 so Id roast cacao for her to make chocolate.
    I've got a Behmor 1600 and my girlfriend has actually made inquiries about cacao roasting. Would you provide a bit of info about your methods and sources?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by defspace View Post
    I've got a Behmor 1600 and my girlfriend has actually made inquiries about cacao roasting. Would you provide a bit of info about your methods and sources?
    Sure, we just made our first bars of chocolate from bean to bar on sunday! Google "Chocolate Alchemy" in Eugene Oregon. Its like the sweet marias of home cacao roasting and chocolate making. He has videos and tips on roasting. he also sells green beans, but probably not the best value. I have yet to look into other options for green beans as hes close to me, but its on my list. I happen to own a farm in Belize that grows high grade Cacao, so one day soon i hope to be using my own beans. We just harvested our first few buckets recently, but i wasnt able to get down there this time.
    Im still figuring out the nuances of roasting cacao, but its much easier and more forgiving than coffee. I think i Just did a 1lb P2 roast with 1.5lb charge and let it run its course for this latest batch, so im pretty new, ive only roasted 2 batches so far. I am eager to experiment and try different roasts to see how it affects flavor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. I just took a peek at Chocolate Alchemy. That sure looks complex to me.

I hope you took pics of your beans to bars process. I think you might have to start a thread on that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by defspace View Post
    Wow. I just took a peek at Chocolate Alchemy. That sure looks complex to me.

I hope you took pics of your beans to bars process. I think you might have to start a thread on that!
    yes, they are mainly on the "gram". It is not complex, but it does require some tools, mainly the juicer to crush and liquidize, and the Melange to texture it. Once one has the machines, the process is simple enough. Im too lazy or something to document it well, maybe one day

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watch episode 4 of the Cooked series on Netflix as there is a segment about harvesting, fermenting and drying cacao beans.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Watch episode 4 of the Cooked series on Netflix as there is a segment about harvesting, fermenting and drying cacao beans.
    Very cool, always willing to learn about new ways to do this for my farm. We are going to be building out our fermentation facility in the next year, we have many ideas, more is always better. thanks for the heads up. I find fermentation fascinating. i think its the most important part of fine chocolate, maybe moreso than genetics. When you smell a fermentation facility and taste the fermented beans, you can understand where the finest flavor compounds come from. Chocolate makers who can control that aspect will be way ahead of the rest. I think this is why there is such a push for bean to bar, rather than relying on the chocoalte made in europe. bean to bar the maker can control more of the inputs leading to better flavor, and a more unique product. yes one day the chocolate i make i expect to be as fine as anything out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mzilliox View Post
    Very cool, always willing to learn about new ways to do this for my farm. We are going to be building out our fermentation facility in the next year, we have many ideas, more is always better. thanks for the heads up. I find fermentation fascinating. i think its the most important part of fine chocolate, maybe moreso than genetics. When you smell a fermentation facility and taste the fermented beans, you can understand where the finest flavor compounds come from. Chocolate makers who can control that aspect will be way ahead of the rest. I think this is why there is such a push for bean to bar, rather than relying on the chocoalte made in europe. bean to bar the maker can control more of the inputs leading to better flavor, and a more unique product. yes one day the chocolate i make i expect to be as fine as anything out there.
    When we were on Kuai there was a small farm producing some of the most fantastic chocolate. I'm not 100% positive this is it: https://steelgrass.org/test-gallery/ You could only buy the stuff from a few shops on the island. What I appreciated was the slightly gritty texture and very forward flower taste. I wish we had brought back more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and my wife reminded me we have watched that episode of cooked, haha.

interesting about the gritty sensation and enjoying it. normally people prefer the less grit. smooth mouth feel. i can appreciate both.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A buddy of mine gave me a heads-up for Java Beans Plus. They had a 15% off coupon last week. I gave it a shot. I ordered 10lbs of Ethiopia Sidamo.

Their packing slip was just an email from javabeansplus.com to gilliescoffee.com. They're drop shipping green beans.

wholesale green coffee Another option out there for green beans.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789