User Tag List

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Coffee-Home Roasting (the other green bean)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Coffee-Home Roasting (the other green bean)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    how much time do y'all have to dedicate to roasting? starting at "i think i'm gonna roast some beans today". does it require constant supervision/ observation? it's not something i've ever really considered, but might...lucky that, despite there being no coffee shops here in this burb, Austin has a few good roasters that deliver to the grocery store pretty regularly, so fresh beans are always available.
    Dustin, My roast cycles are anywhere from 12 to 18 minutes per pound. I walk away and do other things for the first 10 minutes or so while quickly checking progress every so often. As the roast approaches 1st crack, it becomes hands on and I stay there watching, reading temp's, smelling, and adjusting parameters as much as need be. Once 1st crack is over, it becomes rather intense insofar as using all of your senses to produce the roast you want from the varietal. It moves quick between 1st and 2nd crack. After 2nd crack the process is really, really quick and over roasting/fire can happen if not paying attention.

I roast a pound for me, a pound for my wife, and a pound for my Mom in about an hour, including set up and take down time every 7 days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got anxiety about the package sent to Shoogs.

Folks, keep in mind the potential for a coffee summit at some bicycle related excuse / gathering.

Here are some possibilities: Keystone Gravel Sept. 16 and Builders Ball September 23. We can totally overthink how the whole boiling water thing works ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No reason to. We're out here learning and sharing...

I'd love to get together at Keystone. Whole family is coming, wife's volunteering. Perhaps we can pull some shots through the flair???
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Done. I'll bring my gizzmo and pre-grind some coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoogs View Post
    No reason to. We're out here learning and sharing...

I'd love to get together at Keystone. Whole family is coming, wife's volunteering. Perhaps we can pull some shots through the flair???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't leave home without my porlex grinder and aeropress. That weekend will be no exception. Invest in a porlex mini.
    Randy Larrison

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shoogs View Post
    I don't leave home without my porlex grinder and aeropress. That weekend will be no exception. Invest in a porlex mini.
    Had one since 2012

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How loud is a Porlex? Could you grind it in a library without disturbing people?

I've got a pour over setup at work. Current SOP is to grind the day's worth first thing in the AM before other people show up. It's a very quiet place. I'd prefer fresh coffee for each cup. I wonder if the Porlex is an option.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Porlex Mini too and think its probably too loud for a library, if you're sitting in an open area. When I use it at zero-dark-thirty in the morning, I usually step as far away from the sleeping quarters as I can. That said, if you have your own office or even are way back in the stacks, you might get away with it.

/gkk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's an interesting source of green beans -- California. They mostly grow exotic fruits, but now also coffee. Pretty cool.

Goodland Organics

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With guidance from the tall man I have adopted and ghettorized his bean cooling contraption.
    The goal was to improve beyond baking sheet out into the cold (which it is here most of the time..)

The first question was to blow or suck and I went with blow (TT then educated me that the other method is better).
    The blow method does auto dechaffing and I may stick with it until the snow gets to high to do it outside - the cooling/dechaffing actually looked like snow...

For those on the fence, this works really well - Thank You Josh!!!

Given my current quality of roasts (popper) it is too early for me to join the exchange... but I may in the future.

And kudos for this very educational subforum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweet. Nice work. That setup is almost too good for something on the cheap and considering I've seen so called bean coolers for sale pushing $500 WTAF?

Hey, don't be shy. I've had some pop corn roasts that are excellent. It's all about who is doing the work and learning from others. Consider yourself "in" for the next exchange.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use a Behmor 1600. I've been getting some nice roasts with it for almost 4 years now. I get most of my beans from Sweet Maria's. I prefer a light to medium roast, usually total end of first crack, slide into second. Store beans in Ball jars, use filtered water, porcelain pre-heated cup, Hario siphon or Hario glass carafe for pour over. As with cycling, coffee stuff is steeped in ritual.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My daughter just came back from a few weeks in Japan and she packaged one of my gifts with this advert. I can't read the print, but I want that mini stovetop roaster so badly.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I asked my dad for a translation:
    Bring out taste of your coffee beans

The roasting coffee bean looks not easy. However, roasting beans by your self has several merits for coffee lovers; you can enjoy freshly roasted beans taste and flavors and it is less expensive due to purchasing untreated beans. Let’s try “Irijouzu” (skilled roasting), which is light and easy to handle. This device allows even and uniform roasting and is suitable for beginners.

5,200 yen+tax

Mr. Tetsu Kasuya, a champion 2016 World Brewers Cup, will teach you how to roast beans. Please see special web site.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by defspace View Post
    I asked my dad for a translation:
    Thanks. It's a pretty slick little device.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried to find it online, but no luck. However, this little guy looks similar: Amazon.com: Nuvo Eco Ceramic Handy Coffee Bean Roaster: Kitchen & Dining

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just chillin' tonight trying to find that stovetop roasting device and I came across this homemade gem. "Don't even think about it" were the words that I just heard come accross the room.

https://www.home-barista.com/home-ro...er-t39739.html
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That will take cowboy coffee to the next level. Come on you gotta do it for the next camping trip.
    Smores and freshly roasted beans. Mmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Just chillin' tonight trying to find that stovetop roasting device and I came across this homemade gem. "Don't even think about it" were the words that I just heard come accross the room.

https://www.home-barista.com/home-ro...er-t39739.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a pretty slick web timer the uses the Scott Rao Development Time Ratio. https://www.scottrao.com/blog/development-time-ratio

https://coffeeroastingtimer.github.io
    Randy Larrison

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife picked up a Behmor 1600 so Id roast cacao for her to make chocolate. it came with 8 sample 1 lb bags of sample coffee.
    Today i fired it up for the first time because it was raining outside. I am very pleased with the results for my 1st roast. beginners luck?
    [IMG]1st roast Behmor 1600 by Matt.zilliox, on Flickr[/IMG]

i Used a Bolivian coffee, figured that is a safe place to start to get to know the machine, not such a nuanced flavor profile as some others like ethiopia, guatemala, or burundi, not super dense nor super porous.
    used a 6oz charge of greens, 1/2lb setting on P2. ran it for 1:30, stopped the machine, started it again same setting 1/2lb P2. Effectively pre charging the roast
    1st crack was at 9:28 (this includes the 1:30 of the first session), used rosetta button "C" (2:10 with reduced heat), but then hit manual cool with 20 seconds left in the roast, so i got around 1:40 development there, not bad, then after 2:00 minutes cooling (enough time for the machines stuff to cool down to safe levels) i opened the door and turned on a fan to speed the cooling process, as the hints of 2nd crack were just showing up.

cupping it now, its very acceptable. tasting notes say sweet and slightly spicy with mild acidity and a good balance. this is pretty spot on with my experience. not nearly as bright as my preferred african coffees. very balanced with mellow acidity, coffee/cacao notes, some dried fruitiness, and a bit of spice. dig