User Tag List

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Coffee-Home Roasting (the other green bean)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Coffee-Home Roasting (the other green bean)

Cookietruck, I'm a huge fan of that Monserate and have 15 lbs of it stashed. I like it pretty dark. I'll wait for the first crack to almost finish than turn off the heat and let it crack some more. As soon as the cracking starts to slow I toss it into the cooler. Great great coffee bean. If you have recommends for something similar I'm all ears.

Gents, this is excellent. Let's see how many more people we can rope into this folly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TT, you could give this a try.
    https://www.sweetmarias.com/product/...s-vecinos-5372
    My comment about the origin of the bean is mirrored in the description of this Combian coffee when it is said "This coffee with City roasting is just too light for our taste - lacking balance, grain and nut tones overcoming the cup."

The last Colombia I had I preferred it roasted a bit darker than I usually roast stuff.

sweet marias does a $9 flat rate shipping so I usually order from them...and I order a bunch at one time. also, price per pound goes down as you order larger quantities of an origin.

These Costa Rica Tarrazu coffees are usually really nice. These are another origin that are better roasted a little darker looking than some other stuff.
    https://www.sweetmarias.com/product/...anca-1800-5055

AND...if you want to experiment, you need to get a few lbs of a natural process ethiopian, roast it to about what the coffee in Defspace's photo up there looks like and get your socks blown off by the blueberry muffin in your cup of coffee. If you don't like that flavor (yes it is overpowering) then throw some more roast on it and it turns more to a chocolate with berries in the cup.
    something like this Ethiopia will probably do it...
    https://www.sweetmarias.com/product/...fe-wenago-5322

tip on this, what i've noticed is, the dry process beans will be done with a lighter color than the wet process stuff. over and over I've tried to roast the wet process beans to a light brown roast color but they just don't taste done...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks C.T. Colombia La Plata Veredas is in my cart. Good pick, that looks just right.

Once we have entropy do you (all) think it would be interesting to do a quarterly 1/2 lb roasted coffee exchange? A little peer pressure certainly up's my game.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh hey....
    Old Shoe might be a thing. Full credit to RW

coffee1.jpgcoffee2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's see if I can get something fit for human consumption before I subject anyone else to my roasts. But yeah, I'd totally be down.

Very interesting to see how much darker you're going on the same beans. I think a bit more heat/time and I'll be in the ballpark.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are just shy of a self sustaining fire. Seriously. They are smoking fiercely once I dump them into the Home Depot custom cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by defspace View Post
    Let's see if I can get something fit for human consumption before I subject anyone else to my roasts. But yeah, I'd totally be down.

Very interesting to see how much darker you're going on the same beans. I think a bit more heat/time and I'll be in the ballpark.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Re: Coffee-Home Roasting (the other green bean)

I am down for exchanging roasts! I have the luxury of being able to pick up my beans from Sweet Maria's and avoid the shipping costs, so let's choose a bean from them...

/gkk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome. Let's give the others a chance to catch up and set a tentative date for June?
    Somebody with game come up with a good system.

Quote Originally Posted by gkk View Post
    I am down for exchanging roasts! I have the luxury of being able to pick up my beans from Sweet Maria's and avoid the shipping costs, so let's choose a bean from them...

/gkk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm putting June 26 on my calendar to kick off the VSalon Coffee Club.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going old school until my parts come in at Home Depot. Espresso grind will be determined by the size of the rocks that I use.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HA! A+ for not using pine sap soaked wood to stirr. I hate it when my coffee sticks to my teeth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is about all you need, rwsaunders. Here is my setup at work on some Rwanda this morning:

Regarding the VS Coffee Club, here's my idea: if there are 5 or less of us to start, everyone just buys enough beans to make half a pound for everyone. First person roasts and sends it along with some time and temp notes to everyone else, then the next person goes and so on until we're through. We could roast simultaneously, but we probably learn more if we gradually get more tasting experience as we go along? Just spitballing here.

/gkk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What does one do a rainy Spring night in Seattle after having dinner at a Nepalese restaurant in Capital Hill with his daughter? Why visit the Starbucks Reserve Roasterty and Tasting Room of course and post photos for his coffee crazed pals on VSalon. According to my newly found roaster friend, 5,000# per day at this location, which is responsible for all of their reserve roasts. Annual production company wide...500,000,000#. Josh...you need to make this trip to Moka Mecca.

PS...the roaster told me to tell you folks 4 days to off-gas. SBUX as a company follows a 7 day rule. Interesting. Oh, and when I showed him a photo of Josh's HD bean cooler, he leaned in and said that method actually works better than some expensive commercial machines as he's a home roaster himself with a similar setup. There you have it.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RW. That made my day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep...I thought you might like that. I was in awe walking around the place and unfortunately it was too late to drink a cup as I needed some sleep. You can sit at the bar and sample of course, and the roaster told me that the baristas who serve at this particular place are handpicked and not your everyday shot puller. He also gave me a link to this event which is taking place starting today, stating that you won't be able to get in the Roastery. I'll definitely be back.

Registration Information — Global Specialty Coffee Expo
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How did that smell?! That must have been great.

There's a coffee roasters east of downtown Houston. A few of the local rides take you past it. You can smell it all the way across the street.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was so overwhelmed by the machinery and the activity in the place that I don't recall any particular smells. After thinking about your question, I imagine that the ventilation system must be quite complex as they are roasting two and half tons of coffee beans per day. I'll be sure and report on my next trip back in mid May where I might sample an exotic espresso to expreience how the one percenters live.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The smell of mass roasted coffee is awful. There is a high quality roasting operation located about 1000 yards from our home. Majorca coffee roasters fire up the works about once a week and with the wind coming from the North it's nasty.

That said, I'm aware this is g-ds work so certain sacrifices are in order.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for being a bunch of hobby-collecting enablers. This is fun stuff.

I finally worked my way through the 5lbs of Colombian Monserrate from Leverheads. I think I finally got the hang of how to get something I liked out of those beans. Now I'm on to my 4x1lbs sampler from Sweet Marias. I am surprised by how different these Brazilian beans are in the roasting process. They throw off chaff much later and just generally do not behave quite the same.

Nothing mind-blowing to report - just enjoying the process and seeing the different "personality" of the beans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My warning labels

Crystal Range Coffee Roasters

IMG_3234.JPG