User Tag List

Thread: Building A Wardrobe On A Budget

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Building A Wardrobe On A Budget

Here's a PM I sent to someone a while ago who wanted advice on how to start a wardrobe on the cheap.

For anyone else who could use it:

"Okay, XXXXXX. Let's do this.

If you're going to start building a wardrobe from scratch, its important to buy pieces you'll wear often. Its also important that these pieces fit in a general palette, so they go with most of the clothing you own. For most men, I think a good basic pallets is black/white/gray/navy/beige or khaki. You could get dressed in the dark and look good. More importantly, this stuff will get used often, so you'll get your money's worth. For all of this stuff, fit is of highest importance. Buy clothes that are form fitting, but not tight. Even in the winter, when you'll be layering clothes, you'll look good.

Here's a basic template. Start with buying whichever pieces you think you'll wear most often:

White button-up shirt
    Blue button-up shirt
    Flat-front khakis or chinos (straight leg)
    Dark blue denim jeans (straight leg, no pocket embellishments)
    Navy, grey, or beige cardigan or v-neck sweater
    Navy sport coat
    Grey tweed or flannel sport coat
    Black shoes (cap-toe or oxford)
    Brown shoes (cap-toe or oxford)
    White sneakers (like the Adidas Rod Lavers or Stan Smiths)
    Grey t-shirt (American Apparel 50/50 blend is best)
    Khaki-colored mac or raincoat
    Slim, not skinny ties (about 2 1/2" at widest point)

These things will be appropriate both at work and out on the town. From here, you can start to add colors and patterns. But this is the basic set up. You can dress all of this stuff up or down.

Its best to try stuff on. For basics like shirts, you can buy multiples. You can never really have enough white dress shirts or grey t-shirts.

This is what you should be going for-

A few shopping suggestions:

Uniqlo is good for cheap basics. Dress shirts, sweaters, etc.
    http://www.uniqlo.com/us/explorer.ht...:category/d:6/

JCrew is classic american styling and semi-affordable

Also look at Gap, Banana Republic, or H&M

Urban Outfitters is good for pants.

Keep reading fashion mags like GQ or Esquire. The friends who make fun of me for this are the same ones who solicit advice and send me picture texts of stuff they're considering buying.

Well, that's a starting point. I hope that this was helpful. Feel free to ask me anything or ignore anything I've said.

Best,

Chase"
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Building A Wardrobe On A Budget

I have 2 of these blazers from Nau and rarely take them off.
    They go with everything, shed water, don't wrinkle, and go on sale fairly often.

Riding Jacket — Men's Recycled Polyester Soft Shell Blazer — Nau.com
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a great summary Chase. I'd add sand suede Clark desert boots as another footwear staple. And I actually find cordovan-colored (not necessarily, but ideally, shell cordovan) shoes to be more useful than black, as it pairs better with navy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    And I actually find cordovan-colored (not necessarily, but ideally, shell cordovan) shoes to be more useful than black, as it pairs better with navy.
    A set of shell cordovan Alden Indy Boots checks so many of my boxes in a northern climate that they're right at the top of my list.

On the topic of boots and to the point of a basic versatile wardrobe, I'd suggest that a the first pair of black/brown shoes be rubber soled rather than leather in any climate that isn't southern California. Overshoes suck and salt rings in your shoes are even worse. Take the practical route of rubber soles, at least at first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chase, I found this:
    CLAD | Designer Mens Apparel, Shoes & Accessories | CLADmen.com
    Lots of noise and in the midst of it all are a few gems. How about Bills Khaki Cramerton Twills?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brooks Brothers No Iron Dress Shirts. Every year, BB runs a sale where you can get 3 for $150-200 and/or if you buy 2 or more you get each at 50%. Varies. I think right now some shirts are one and some shirts are the other. I am not a fan of no-iron, but these shirts are actually excellent. And what's more, they come in 4 different cuts now - traditional, regular, slim and extra slim. I'm skinny - 6'1" and ~140lbs. The extra slim is perfect. Slim would be better for a casual shirt. Anyway, I've always thought that good shirts are worth the extra money because they take laundering a lot better. And buy 3-4 at these sales is worth it, because 3-4 shirts last longer than 2-3 (or 1-2) just because they get rotated through less often.

Also, I'd recommend this coat from Koyono. Weird company (Slimmy wallet is also recommended) but the coat is great. Seems to travel really well, works in a variety of temperatures and weather, the classic can be worn over a blazer, and it looks good. I get compliments on mine at least. Friends have tried to steal it. Sort of mysterious, because it doesn't look like much on the web but it just works. And they have sales periodically too. I got mine for $150.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Brooks Brothers No Iron Dress Shirts. Every year, BB runs a sale where you can get 3 for $150-200 and/or if you buy 2 or more you get each at 50%. Varies. I think right now some shirts are one and some shirts are the other. I am not a fan of no-iron, but these shirts are actually excellent. And what's more, they come in 4 different cuts now - traditional, regular, slim and extra slim. I'm skinny - 6'1" and ~140lbs. The extra slim is perfect. Slim would be better for a casual shirt. Anyway, I've always thought that good shirts are worth the extra money because they take laundering a lot better. And buy 3-4 at these sales is worth it, because 3-4 shirts last longer than 2-3 (or 1-2) just because they get rotated through less often.
    Good call. They're a staple of mine. If you're not wearing them in formal situations much, I'd go for button down collars since you can wear them without a tie. I bet my button collar BB shirts get worn 10 times for every time I wear a collar without buttons because I don't wear ties very often even if I'm wearing a jacket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have nothing more than a "bump" to add here. This is first page information.
    I come back to this thread once a year or so (post-holiday sales), to just double check that I'm not forgetting anything.

I wish someone had handed me a pamphlet with this information on it when I went off to college. The bit about the get-dressed-in-the-dark-colors was a revelation for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My preference is for tee-shirts that are 100% cotton. Gray is nice because it doesn't "print" through other garments. Sure, they require more frequent replacement than blends, yet they resist odor far better than a 50/50 tee-shirt. Additionally, they are warmer in winter and cooler in summer than the man-made fibers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've wanted to simplify and update my wardrobe for some time. Thanks for the helpful tips.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great advice, we love bespoke bikes so we should have clothing to match.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
    "...My preference is for tee-shirts that are 100% cotton.
    Gray is nice because it doesn't "print" through other garments..."
    Since making that post...I have since migrated to 100% wool tee-shirts year 'round.
    Even more expensive than pima cotton yet far more comfortable across a range of temperatures.
    If caught in sweltering summer commute, they will dry on your body via office A/C system.