Thread: Ask a PRO: Question for chefs with scars in all the right places

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ask a PRO: Question for chefs with scars in all the right places

Question:

For NYE I am making a mashed avacado, cilantro, cubed salmon, lime and toasted cumin chilled salad. I'd like to make this day before without having the dish become soggy or discolored. Hopeless right? I have to make this a few hrs. before or go home is my guess. I think my best shot will be to pre-cook the salmon day before, the rest will have to be done right before serving or I'll have cat food. TIA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Ask a PRO: Question for chefs with scars in all the right places

I think you are right...

The avacado will likely discolor overnight, and chopped cilantro go dark from chopping.
    Poach or roast the fish the night before is good, then flake it, chop the already trimmed and rinsed cilantro, dice
    the avacado, assemble...good to go!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sounds delicious. If there's enough lime that will slow the oxidation of the avocados. Also, putting plastic wrap directly on the surface of the salad will slow the oxidation too. A layer of chopped tomatoes covering the entire top surface will protect the salad for a while. Stir in the cilantro just before serving to be safe. With all of that, you are only delaying the inevitable of the avocados browning. I wouldn't make it more than 12 hours in advance knowing that unless you make it within and hour or two of serving you're going to lose some of the salad due to oxidation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drat. Thanks guys.
    This is a great treat and there will be two versions a chicken and a salmon.
    I made a test run a few weeks back for friends. Goes well with some hard peppered cheese and several bottles of cab. but hey that's just me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lemon juice or other citrus will keep the avocado from turning brown too quickly.
    steve cortez

FNG