Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pepper Mills

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Pepper Mills

My ex won the coin toss and chose our beloved PepperMate. I now have a handsome Peugeot pepper grinder that is only adequate. My Thai granite mortar and pestle, as someone already suggested, works very well indeed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, I was in a spice shop in Stillwater, MN over the weekend and they actually had a few of the Vic Firth pepper mills on the shelf. They are really nice and I almost walked out of there with one, but figured I'd rather go direct for more selection. I will be getting one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our server at a local spot used Vic Firth pump&grind. I thought it was a super cool gadget, so I had to get one - What I really like about it is that you can get a good amount of ground pepper right on target in a hurry and you can grind with one hand, which is a big plus if you have something gooey or with a possibility of cross contamination (think raw chicken) going on with the other hand. It is a little lacking in adjustability, but it is quick and easy to use.

Products — Catalog Products — Pump & Grind Pepper & Salt Mills | Vic Firth Gourmet

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I have a pepper-mill that looks just like this with a bowl on the bottom to receive the freshly ground. I bought in in Istanbul last Fall. there is no name brand on it but I looked at about a hundred of them before choosing one. This makes the perfect grind. The cheap ones over there are everywhere.
    Dovid@dhoffman.consulting

Fundamentally the marksmen aims at himself.
    -Zen in the Art of Archery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doug I have that exact same grinder. I reckon they were originally designed as coffee mills. It has served me well for 20 yrs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doug I have that exact same grinder. I reckon they were originally designed as coffee mills.
    never even thought of it, but the way they use coffee, it makes sense. Perhaps I will give that a try.
    Dovid@dhoffman.consulting

Fundamentally the marksmen aims at himself.
    -Zen in the Art of Archery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dhoff View Post
    never even thought of it, but the way they use coffee, it makes sense. Perhaps I will give that a try.
    I have the German-made Zassenhaus version. Perfect for Turkish coffee.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After seeing a salt and pepper mill in Jorn’s Pic of the day thread I went in search of a thread and found this so I am resurrecting it. Anything new to add as I begin my search for new ones? I have been using battery powered to help with arthritic wrists but could be persuaded to go back.

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mike, we all have a few pepper mills. Suggested here a few years ago was this one: http://www.unicornmills.org/magnum-plus.html which will be the last. First, it holds a yard of peppercorns. Second it grinds nice and course and it grinds fast. This has been in near daily use for few years. Were the zombie apolocalypse pepper grinder thieves to abscond with it I'd run out and buy two. Bury one in the back yard encased in 2 gallons of Cosmoline wrapped in oil cloth...of course. (ahem).

For salt, get yourself a cheap stone mortar and pestle. My sis put me onto this, she is always right about cooking and fish jokes so pay attention. If you buy rough salt, use the mortal and pestle to grind exactly what you want to the fine you require. Love it. https://www.amazon.com/Mortar-Pestle.../dp/B076X8NTYS
    Last edited by Too Tall; 02-05-2021 at 08:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good Lord, you guys are another level. I buy a big box of kosher salt and put in a jar because the box spout pisses me off. A handful here, a finger or two there depending and I'm good. Grinding to the desired flake? It's salt! It's a basic nutrient! I'll take it as I get it and let it sing in the chorus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Good Lord, you guys are another level. I buy a big box of kosher salt and put in a jar because the box spout pisses me off. A handful here, a finger or two there depending and I'm good. Grinding to the desired flake? It's salt! It's a basic nutrient! I'll take it as I get it and let it sing in the chorus.
    In a crowd of folks who glue tires up for training rides and discuss where to send pots for tinning... grinding salt to the correct crystal size seems like small beans.

This thread bump caused me to look up Vic Firth grinders. I adore my rolling pin. Turns out they sold the culinary stuff to a small Maine company, Maine Wood Concepts. And while I actually do trust the quality is still tops... I have to admit I did find significant allure in having the Vic Firth stamp on the gear to match my collection of drum sticks (one of which I got signed when Mr. Firth came to watch our rehearsal /brag).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We’ve had this French pair for a while...pepper grinder only.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seconding Too Tall’s Magnum Plus - an awesome pepper mill, fully adjustable grind, huge capacity, and flawless every time you use it. Cannot go wrong!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I haven't tweaked TT in a while, but this should do it:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/p...AEgI5W_D_BwE#/
    Lane DeCamp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

And just for grins, this is great for peppercorns, and for doing different peppercorn colors and of course for fresh grinding of cardamom and fennel seed and whatever else you might want a fresh jolt of. The CNC work is pretty amazing for the price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Lane DeCamp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
    And just for grins, this is great for peppercorns, and for doing different peppercorn colors and of course for fresh grinding of cardamom and fennel seed and whatever else you might want a fresh jolt of. The CNC work is pretty amazing for the price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Honey, that's for weed. Not that there is anything wrong with it ;)

LOL omfg that's some peppermill.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 02-17-2021 at 08:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mike, we all have a few pepper mills. Suggested here a few years ago was this one: http://www.unicornmills.org/magnum-plus.html which will be the last. First, it holds a yard of peppercorns. Second it grinds nice and course and it grinds fast. This has been in near daily use for few years. Were the zombie apolocalypse pepper grinder thieves to abscond with it I'd run out and buy two. Bury one in the back yard encased in 2 gallons of Cosmoline wrapped in oil cloth...of course. (ahem).

For salt, get yourself a cheap stone mortar and pestle. My sis put me onto this, she is always right about cooking and fish jokes so pay attention. If you buy rough salt, use the mortal and pestle to grind exactly what you want to the fine you require. Love it. https://www.amazon.com/Mortar-Pestle.../dp/B076X8NTYS
    Unicorn appears to have a parts-supply problem. I've been checking their site and Amazon for awhile now and nothing for sale. Any alternatives in this style of mill?
    A few months ago Kenji Lopez posted a review of some high - bling machined aluminum grinders but I can't find that review. They were beautiful. Although I don't think I need a $300 pepper mill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bazinga >> https://vermontkitchensupply.com/uni...m-pepper-mill/

Still the best.

Were the inevitable Zombie hoarde to break down my door and abscond with the glorious Unicorn I'd get a peugeot pepper mill.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 08-01-2021 at 03:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for that, much appreciated. The main Unicorn website indicates that Amazon was their only reseller so that’s the only place I looked. Thanks again

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12