Fuck Yeah The Universe

Eye candy by the parsec.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: anyone into space?

Our universe's size is humbling and mind-blowing. If you could zoom into this redshift map to where the glowing embers came to look like stars how we see them from Earth, they would be many, many galaxies. Some of them billions of years older than our own (and perhaps harboring intelligent life). Personally, I'm waiting for the discovery of a white hole and the LHC to find the Higgs-Boson.

Cottage cheese for dinner, Greek yogurt for dessert, eat that everyday an' it will make your butt hurt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every time I feel smart I start doing some math related to the universe.

And realize I'm an idiot in relation to a whole bunch of stuff. This is my secret.
    Insubordinate. And Churlish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you think that we might one day travel to distant (or even close) planets and that the close ones are so far away that it would take longer than all of recorded human history to reach them even at the speed of light it is humbling.

Our messengers would have long since forgotten who they are and where they come from or why when they got where they are going. The 1000-generation-old grandchildren of those who left would have long since developed their own religions and superstitions and reasons why they were traveling and Earth would be a distant myth. That's how big this is. Hard to wrap the mind around it. Sci Fi books are lots of fun and require new laws of physics in order to develop a story.

The laws of normal physics will have to be superseded if we are ever to explore worlds outside this solar system with anything other than a telescope.

At least in Star Trek they refer to their explorations as just one sector of our galaxy. And then you remember that there are millions of other galaxies. It's mind numbing.

On a happier front, I got in a 2.5 hour ride last night in Grand Rapids, MI. Not too shabby for Dec. 20!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but saab
    the other saab on a similar planet in a distant galaxy got a 4 hr ride in... yr falling behind.
    he looks very fit in the pic on v-salon there.
    5'11" 11 stone ( used on the planet earff )

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    but saab
    the other saab on a similar planet in a distant galaxy got a 4 hr ride in... yr falling behind.
    Does he also have a beard (like Spock did in his alternate Universe...) ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your pal doesn't have to search so far away. This is much closer to home:

Mianus

Quote Originally Posted by fmbp View Post
    no joke - my best friend is a grad student at Oxford. His research involves investigation of methane around Uranus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This past weekend my 7yr old son and I spent the night (like slept at) the American Museum of Natural History as part of a cub scout outing. The two of us made a late night visit to the Rose space hall. Amazing spot to learn about space. It was eerie yet awesome to have a place that is normally mobbed completely to ourselves. I weigh 24.5 lbs on the moon, by the weigh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    but saab
    Part of our eff around ride included stops at a couple tracks for some impromptu hot laps. When the times were all added up I was in 2nd place and pissed not to have been 1st. I may be a stone overweight but the legs still go when they have to. Considering that the last 2 months have included maybe 300 miles I'll take it! Take that alternative universe. My alter ego would have been 2nd last. HA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Part of our eff around ride included stops at a couple tracks for some impromptu hot laps. When the times were all added up I was in 2nd place and pissed not to have been 1st. I may be a stone overweight but the legs still go when they have to. Considering that the last 2 months have included maybe 300 miles I'll take it! Take that alternative universe. My alter ego would have been 2nd last. HA!
    Saab,

I hate to break it to you, but an infinite number of your alter egos beat you. Ask Max Tegmark.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the good news though is... you beat an infinite number also...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back to the salt mines and away from this chit chat. I've had my monthly bike ride. Back to work tomorrow at 04:50. Gotta earn my Euros in order to pay for the France trip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jesus loves me this I know; for the bible tells me so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by whale_spout View Post
    Our universe's size is humbling and mind-blowing. If you could zoom into this redshift map to where the glowing embers came to look like stars how we see them from Earth, they would be many, many galaxies. Some of them billions of years older than our own (and perhaps harboring intelligent life). Personally, I'm waiting for the discovery of a white hole and the LHC to find the Higgs-Boson.

Bro, the Higgs-Boson particle is Tebow. Like, duh.
    Start slow, then taper off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

harharhar

Crew members aboard the Frigate HMS Rigging have returned to Southampton after six months patrolling the seas around Afghanistan to much confusion.

"We've pulled into port this week," said quartermaster Lou Tennant, "and we're told the entire world is looking for Higgs Boson. Well, we know where he was, he was on board with us the whole time. Whatever they think he's done, he aint, cos he's a diamond geezer."

Boson Higgs is currently on shore leave, visiting his old mum in Dorking, and was unavailable for comment.

"They said on the news they've built this really expensive detector in Switzerland," said Tennant. "Which is pointless really, because they only needed to go and check the roster and see where Higgsy was."

According to Tennant, Switzerland is hardly the best place to go looking for any boson.

"It's landlocked, innit?" he asked. "I reckon the Swiss navy have three pedallos and one of them origami hats that you can sail. There's no way they've got anything big enough to have a boson on."

Boson Higgs is expected to report back to duty aboard the HMS Rigging early in the new year when, hopefully, the confusion can be cleared up.

"Until he gets back," said Tennant, "if these boffins need to speak to Higgsy that bad, I'm sure somebody can dig his old mum's address up for them. Dorking's not exactly huge is it?"

from The Spoof : Higgs Boson found on Navy Frigate funny satire story

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12