Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Lines - for MaineMike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Lines - for MaineMike

the original video was taken down soon after it first went up. Just found some other coverage of it here:

Bode Miller is the most amazing athlete when he decides to push the edge. UNREAL!

Been a fan for a lot of years, so glad he was able to survive.

If he's skiing that way all season - this years WC downhills have become must-see events.

Kitzbuehel is 1.21.12 - mark it down. this could be his year!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Lines - for MaineMike

That's amazing. It's so hard to understand how hard and scary this is.

I've skied since I was 3 or 4. The first time I skied down the Streif (the Kitzbühel course), it was an eye-opening experience. It was a few weeks after the race, and the whole course had been injected with high-pressure water to basically create a continuous sheet of ice. I could make my way down ok, but any thought of going fast? Forget it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like climbs in cycling, tv doesn't come close to conveying how steep those slopes really are. I remember seeing the women's world cup course at Waterville Valley, NH when I was a kid. It was a wall of ice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've skied the Grizzly at Snowbasin (Men's DH course when the Olys were in Utah). Stupefyingly, dizzyingly steep. It felt like stepping out of the door of a helicopter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoB View Post
    That's amazing. It's so hard to understand how hard and scary this is.

I've skied since I was 3 or 4. The first time I skied down the Streif (the Kitzbühel course), it was an eye-opening experience. It was a few weeks after the race, and the whole course had been injected with high-pressure water to basically create a continuous sheet of ice. I could make my way down ok, but any thought of going fast? Forget it.
    The downhill runs at Davos, Whistler, and Chamonix are more terrifying than any out of bounds skiing I've ever done. The idea of going as fast as possible down them makes me cringe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot View Post
    The downhill runs at Davos, Whistler, and Chamonix are more terrifying than any out of bounds skiing I've ever done. The idea of going as fast as possible down them makes me cringe.
    Birds of Prey is no joke. It may not be as legendary as some in the Alps but it's just as unforgiving. Did you catch the interview? He knows the course so well now - knows what it takes to go fast there and still was considerably scared in the start-house. He was all-in knowing he has the talent to pull it off. WOW!

The ensuing controlled free-fall is the most jaw dropping two minutes in sport...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ME Grimpeur View Post
    Birds of Prey is no joke. It may not be as legendary as some in the Alps but it's just as unforgiving. Did you catch the interview? He knows the course so well now - knows what it takes to go fast there and still was considerably scared in the start-house. He was all-in knowing he has the talent to pull it off. WOW!

The ensuing controlled free-fall is the most jaw dropping two minutes in sport...
    I've never skied Birds of Prey, but I believe it. They don't run these races on the green circles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sweet! thanks for posting that!!
    you're not the lord of the flies