Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Hot Sauce Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Hot Sauce Thread

I really want to try Blair's Mega Death. Heard it's quite tasty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You hot sauce fans might want to know about the upcoming peppersauce festival in New Iberia, LA:

Hot Sauce Contest
    Good cyclists are:
    Visible, Predictable, Alert, Assertive and Courteous

They also use the five layers of protection available.
    Layer 1: Control your bike
    Layer 2: Know and follow the rules of the road
    Layer 3: Ride in the smartest lane position
    Layer 4: Manage hazards skillfully
    Layer 5: Utilize passive protection.

Chris, Broussard, LA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Garro mentioned the Yucateca (El Yecateca) sauces. This stuff is so great. 3-4 drops on a taco is enough to give a light misting on the brow. Great heat with a wicked smokey finish.
    Almost done my first bottle now of the brown xxxhot, that's sexy hot. Big fan.
    Noah

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by velocolour View Post
    I think Garro mentioned the Yucateca (El Yecateca) sauces. This stuff is so great. Almost done my first bottle now of the brown xxxhot, that's sexy hot. Big fan.
    Noah
    Is that the brown Kutbil-Ik Mayan recipie? One of my all time faves as well - a unique flavour - I think they roast the Habeneros & I think it has achiote (there's a new word for you guys) as well.......
    - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you are ever near T.Kellogg's locale first week in September you need to be at the Chili Pepper Festival. There is an Amish farmer next door who grows several pages worth of peppers and you can pick to your hearts content. The most BA thing I have ever had with hot peppers was their soft serve vanilla hot pepper ice creme. Goes down smoooooooooooth than goat kicks you in the ribs....than you go back for more....OMG. Also, they sell something really unique an hardwood smoked jalapeno that is dried and sold as a powder. Adding this to soups is out of this world.

Chile Pepper Festival September 7 th & 8 th 2012 Featuring CHile Pepper Food Festival Chile pepper field excursion

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Also, they sell something really unique an hardwood smoked jalapeno that is dried and sold as a powder. Adding this to soups is out of this world.
    There's an entrepreneur guy here in DC that has a line of hot sauces, Uncle Brutha's. His green sauce, "No. 9," is made with smoked serranos. It's pretty mild on the heat level ("My aim is to thrill the palate, not kill the palate,") and just a little bit added to sauces, soups, chili, hummus, on top of your burger, whatever, adds a wonderful smokiness.

Ben I've got a bottle for you. E-mail me your addy please I can't find it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've just decided that a perfect gift for the Chef at our S.France Camp hotel will be a bottle of USA made hotsauce and a Bottle of Bourbon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just made a batch of pepper sauce, my first attempt. Used a combination of dried, roasted arbols and pasillas in rice vinegar, some spices, a touch of sugar and salt. Proccessed it, didn't strain it, and it has a nice thick texture. Iooks amazing, tastes pretty good, especially on eggs. I'll probably do it again, but add some hotter chillies since it actually turned out pretty tame.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spopepro View Post
    I just made a batch of pepper sauce, my first attempt. Used a combination of dried, roasted arbols and pasillas in rice vinegar, some spices, a touch of sugar and salt. Proccessed it, didn't strain it, and it has a nice thick texture. Iooks amazing, tastes pretty good, especially on eggs. I'll probably do it again, but add some hotter chillies since it actually turned out pretty tame.
    You are evil. This just made me take about a 4 oz. bag of dried Tien Tsin peppers throw them in a pan with a cup of white vinegar and a tsp. of salt. Brought it to a boil, stirred, removed from heat and put a lid on it. In a few hours it will go through the food processor and we will see what we have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dorman View Post
    You are evil. This just made me take about a 4 oz. bag of dried Tien Tsin peppers throw them in a pan with a cup of white vinegar and a tsp. of salt. Brought it to a boil, stirred, removed from heat and put a lid on it. In a few hours it will go through the food processor and we will see what we have.
    *evil grin* Taste it, but then package it up and let it sit. My sauce changed noticably over the first 4 days as flavors came together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spopepro View Post
    *evil grin* Taste it, but then package it up and let it sit. My sauce changed noticably over the first 4 days as flavors came together.
    Been processed. Taste is 50/50. Needs to age. I'll report back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMG_2228.JPGProper hardware: Ironwood spoon & grinder and chilitepin jar.
    Sonora and Baja Mexico style.
    - Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This one is Good~
    ???.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mrs. Haole brought a bottle of No. 4 back from the asian grocery the other day. More sweet than hot, but a nice flavor. It would be outstanding on shrimp or pulled pork.

Lingham & Sons (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd. - There is no other sauce like it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sticking to widely available brands, Melinda's 4X and and el Yucateco Kutbil-ik for flavorful heat.

Gimme Tabasco over Cholula, Tapa Tio, or Frank's every time.

Asian: obviously made in USA Thai Sriracha. Chinese hot bean paste. Getcha jar of Vietnamese chili-garlic paste, too.

Fresh green? Hot Sandia's. Buy a half bushel, roasted, in the early fall lasting through the following year's harvest. Poblano's for their rich flavor.

Espańolas tops dried red.

Hungry now....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Krikey Garro, I brought a bottle of the Yucateca Chili Habenero (the brown stuff) to camp and nearly blew my head off. I'm pretty tolerant of all sorts of heat but daaaaaaaaamn son when that goes onto a hot plate of bean it's the business. GREAT suggestion.

OK, I'm "in" for a reload. All my commercial "experiments" are done and it's looking like I need to do some work with the chilitepins and proper chili for my crew. I'm going to work on a ribeye chili, heavy on the garlic. G. have you done anything with dry rubs for poultry? I'm going to make some killer subs for the Ballers Ride sat. after effects chowdown and thinking I'll smoke a couple big turkeys with a firey hot dry rub. That will not suk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by longlegged View Post
    I really want to try Blair's Mega Death. Heard it's quite tasty.
    Blair's XXX Hot Salsa

My wife and I are big fans of hot sauce. She picked up some Blair's Salsa XXX Hot. Little did I know.
    I smothered my taco in it, took a big bite, 1 2 3..... oh my god oh my god, my ears are bleeding.... i am running to cooler, drink some milk. not enough. run to the sink, just run cold water into my mouth, rinse repeat rinse repeat .......

pretty eff'in hot. take a bite, feel alive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Krikey Garro, I brought a bottle of the Yucateca Chili Habenero (the brown stuff) to camp and nearly blew my head off. I'm pretty tolerant of all sorts of heat but daaaaaaaaamn son when that goes onto a hot plate of bean it's the business. GREAT suggestion.

OK, I'm "in" for a reload. All my commercial "experiments" are done and it's looking like I need to do some work with the chilitepins and proper chili for my crew. I'm going to work on a ribeye chili, heavy on the garlic. G. have you done anything with dry rubs for poultry? I'm going to make some killer subs for the Ballers Ride sat. after effects chowdown and thinking I'll smoke a couple big turkeys with a firey hot dry rub. That will not suk.
    Sorry to have neglected this - I am Soooooooooooooooo fucking busy - Along with building bikes I have been processing Peaches and making gallons & gallons of salsa, both red and green, and when the green matures, brown.

How about the brown Kutbil- ik = I thing that's the most authentic habenero salsa you can buy, traditional Mayan recipie, I think they gave it to sacrifice victims so they would beg to have their hearts torn out - I can eat it on chips but will pay big later as I shit out my stomach linings.

Yes on the dry rubs, I do them all the time. Mild to Med ground New Mexican red chili powder, some fresh roasted and ground cumin, plenty of fresh ground pepper, fresh garlic and onion powder, salt - also I do not know if you have it but do you know about Achiote? Bixa orellana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    the recipie on there is pretty right on, actually........
    A great spice, often it is dissolved in Orange Juice and meat is marinated in it.......
    I'll re-visit this all tonight or tomorrow - burning the candle at both ends here.
    - Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Steve, lots to think about there.

One of my neighbors parents are simple farmers from rural India and seem to have fallen in love with my wife. His parents send all sorts of gifts home for her. Little do they know she is does not adore spicey like me. Lucky me ;) The latest thing to arrive is a jar of some sort of hard unripe fruit that is marinated in a$$blistering peppers, oil and a metric ton of salt, cumin and tumeric. You sort of chew the rind off, spit the seed bits out and enjoy a 1/2 hr. long burn. I've got to go to India and live this experience.
    Sorry to diverge from all things good in S.Americas.

Garro, you suk get back to the hot sauce thread ASAP ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Steve, lots to think about there.

The latest thing to arrive is a jar of some sort of hard unripe fruit that is marinated in a$$blistering peppers, oil and a metric ton of salt, cumin and tumeric. You sort of chew the rind off, spit the seed bits out and enjoy a 1/2 hr. long burn. I've got to go to India and live this experience.

Garro, you suk get back to the hot sauce thread ASAP ;)
    Are they Tamarinds or sour plums?
    Ever have Mexican dried sour plums coated with chili and salt?
    - Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast