Thread: The Hot Sauce Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Hot Sauce Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Ben, the Marie Sharps I like is made with carrot. Let me know how that turns out.
    If you can, find the prickly pear - holy fucking shit awesome.
    Me, I'm into salsas made from this: Capsicum annuum var. glabriusculum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    a unique flavour, and native to AZ & Sonora. "La India Brava" being my favourite review here: coconino cycles custom bicycles 928 774 7747 www.coconinocycles.com: hot sauce review: "la india brava"
    - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    If you can, find the prickly pear - holy fucking shit awesome.
    Me, I'm into salsas made from this: Capsicum annuum var. glabriusculum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    a unique flavour, and native to AZ & Sonora. "La India Brava" being my favourite review here: coconino cycles custom bicycles 928 774 7747 www.coconinocycles.com: hot sauce review: "la india brava"
    - Garro.
    Interesting. Were you able to find a source for this? I buy those peppers dry from a local spice shop. Darn good stuff for soup and stew, I bet fresh would be great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yesterday was a rough day at the end of a rough week...this thread inspired me to head down port to https://www.pepperheads-hotsauces.com/ pick up some more sauce, walk to the pizza joint up the street with my girls have a Brooklyn Brown, some pizza with said hot sauce, and enjoy!

I picked up a couple of bottles to making it ten different varieties in the fridge. I picked up the Marie Sharp's, tasty stuff! As well as their brand of Caribbean XXX, a nice fruity sauce with a medium heat.

I like a ton of sauces, and while I'm less fond of the vinegar based, they definitely have a place. I've had most of the sauces recommended, including the Datil. The sauce you'll always find are Cholula, El Yucateca, Sriracha, the rest come and go. I've meant to pick up some of the CaJohn's for some time...any suggestions?
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tobasco here, especially on Mondays: red beans and rice day. For cooking, I found a tasty serrano and ginger pepper sauce at the Eastern Market. It's got a nice flavor to it. wisteriagarden.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a promising lead. Mexican food and Mexican recipes at MexGrocer.com Garro mentioned the righteous chiltepin peppers. Anyone have experience with the Dona Maya brand?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting. Were you able to find a source for this? I buy those peppers dry from a local spice shop. Darn good stuff for soup and stew, I bet fresh would be great.
    Fresh chilitepin is pretty nice. My friends in Yuma have one in their yard. I'm not really buying most of the Wiki on them - they are pretty local to the AZ/Sonora border as far as where they grow. I have the smoked ones too, the chili-pequin.
    The Green Prickly Pear Marie Calender's was brought to me from Belize - man, just stellar. Unique.
    Also, a huge shout out to any Yucateca product, the Kutbil -Ik traditional Mayan recipie is AWESOME - totally unique. El Yucateco
    - Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    Fresh chilitepin is pretty nice. My friends in Yuma have one in their yard. I'm not really buying most of the Wiki on them - they are pretty local to the AZ/Sonora border as far as where they grow. I have the smoked ones too, the chili-pequin.
    The Green Prickly Pear Marie Calender's was brought to me from Belize - man, just stellar. Unique.
    Also, a huge shout out to any Yucateca product, the Kutbil -Ik traditional Mayan recipie is AWESOME - totally unique. El Yucateco
    - Garro.
    A little OT. That prickly pear gets around. The northern most reach is in Maryland/New Jersey. I've got several 5 gal. containers that bloom twice a yrs. To my untrained eye the same plant or very very nearly the same when found in Israel is called a Sabre Locals take the fruit, soak in water until the evil needles fall off and eat the meat....really good. Anywho.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW I have an enormous prickly pear in my front yard. I have taken the green and new pads and grilled them and used that in a gtrilled veg salad with some onion & bell pepper, feta and basamic dressing. Pretty good, but the stuff can get slimy when you cook it. I had not thought of doing a salsa with it, but it makes sense, especially if doing a picked type with some peppers and vinegar.

The older pads get really stringy and tough, so I would not recommend trying to do anything with those. If I had a BGE, I would try smoking them to see what happened.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Garro, in your honor I emptied the remainder of my dried chilitepins into a refried rice dish. Belly full of fire. That's a nice peppah ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Garro I've still got the very last bit (maybe a tablespoon) of that green chili salsa in my fridge. Couldn't bring myself to finish it because I had to hold out just a little longer and save it, and again, and again. That shit's amazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At a local restaurant, Salvador Molly's, they serve Balls of Fire which are basically habanero hushpuppies. They are quite hot. What's worse/better is the hot sauce the balls come with. It's called Sunshine and Pain because it's the color of the sun and it brings the pain if its not respected. The Man V Food dood ate them on his show.

I went to Costa Rice a few years back and really enjoyed their Salsa Lizano. Pretty interesting and tastey stuff. Not like normal hot sauce. It's more flavor than heat. Check some out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're in Dominica sometime, get Karl's. From the looks of things they've gone big time but when I was there you still got it from the old lady who dug it out from the back corner of her stall at the Roseau market and it was in an old 7-oz Coke bottle with "KARL'S" written on cloth tape stuck to the bottle. She showed me various sauces and I said "Piquant?" and she said "Oh, piquant" and dug out the Karl's and smiled her toothless smile. I shed a small tear the day I used the last of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EddieBirdsell View Post
    Garro I've still got the very last bit (maybe a tablespoon) of that green chili salsa in my fridge. Couldn't bring myself to finish it because I had to hold out just a little longer and save it, and again, and again. That shit's amazing.
    I posted the recipe in the "salsas" thread - it's easy! Next time you come through we'll cook up a gallon or five.
    - Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little OT. That prickly pear gets around. The northern most reach is in Maryland/New Jersey. I've got several 5 gal. containers that bloom twice a yrs. To my untrained eye the same plant or very very nearly the same when found in Israel is called a Sabre Locals take the fruit, soak in water until the evil needles fall off and eat the meat....really good. Anywho.
    Those red ones look just like the ones we eat out here, not enough coffee to remember the Mexican name for them in burritos, you see them scambled with eggs after being scalded with fire to de-spine - oh - it's "Nopalitos," the cactus being "Nopal." Everywhere here with appropriate tongs for grabbing.
    Also, jelly from the red fruits you see is just awesome, awesome - a taste from my childhood. Syrup, too.
    Old world succulents like the other one you showed are NOT cacti (unless it is introduced - we have at least four prickly pear species, but only one is eaten), but amazing examples of parrellell evolution, often mirroring new world species very, very closely.
    Here is the one I remember http://www.mariesharps-bz.com/products.html#sauce - it's *Marie Sharp's* "green habenero/cactus" sublime, I tell you. Get two - you'll drink the 1st. Unique.
    - Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marie Sharp's done and done. Looks like the perfect Festivus gift for co-workers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marie Sharp's done and done. Looks like the perfect Festivus gift for co-workers.
    You just knocked it out of the park, I tell you. Let me know what you think!
    - Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a buddy that turned me on to this stuff. Very very very good on pizza. From Columbia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man down this weekend. Never had a chance to bring the flavor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lawhoo View Post
    Man down this weekend. Never had a chance to bring the flavor.

Take a knee.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EddieBirdsell View Post
    I think I need to order up some Tennessee Sunshine.
    I just saw this. PM me your address and I'll happily send you some. Consider it an early Christmas present to one of the coolest dudes on VS.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast