Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Hot Sauce Thread

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    Call me old fashioned.

We grew up with this. Put it on everything, eggs, poboys, burgers, gumbo, rice and gravy, seafood etc etc. You should also try Cajun Chef Green hot sauce- if you can find it. It's made in St. Martinville--milder but really great flavor. Probably my favorite. Don't forget the classic Tabasco either. Hot for hotness sake has never appealed to me. I love the subtlety of flavor of a milder sauce. Most of the Louisiana made hot sauces are made within 25 miles on my home and are on our ride routes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A friend introduced me to Yucatan Sunshine over the weekend. Its a pretty balanced Habanero sauce, and I have been enjoying it over sweet potatoes. My go to sauces are Cholula and Texas Pete.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a bottle of the Dave's Insanity sauce going on 2.5 years old. It's too hot to go bad. 1 drop on a taco shell spread real thin, build taco as usual and then use the sauce you want for flavor. Totally killer heat and I like hot.

This brand is nice for a little change in hot pepper flavor.Datl Do-it Homepage

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    Since this is Vsalon, not HSsalon, I'll admit that I'm a hot sauce philistine. Get me another bottle of Cholula every two weeks, and I'm good. I love those Arbol and Piquin peppers. And the wood top.
    Cholula is my go-to sauce. Great flavor. I don't care for the hot-as-hell machismo whatever sauces. Valentino and Tapatio are also in heavy rotation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dorman View Post
    I've got a bottle of the Dave's Insanity sauce going on 2.5 years old. It's too hot to go bad. 1 drop on a taco shell spread real thin, build taco as usual and then use the sauce you want for flavor. Totally killer heat and I like hot.

This brand is nice for a little change in hot pepper flavor.Datl Do-it Homepage
    I had a bottle of Endorphin Rush for over a decade. Mad hot. One tiny drop suspended from the tip of a toothpick would turn a bowl of the mildest salsa into the hottest. I opened the bottle once, got a little of the dried substance on my finger and later rubbed my eye. If i had a gun, i woulda pulled the trigger. It was a test of manhood or stupidity to see who, among frineds, could put a big glob on a tortilla chip and send it down. I cried many a time trying to be a man - only to realize, i'm just a boy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's not forget the irreplaceable Sriracha (rooster sauce). Goes with just about everything including lightly buttered green beans after a few adult beverages. Kind of ends up like hot wing beans. Meh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dorman View Post
    Let's not forget the irreplaceable Sriracha (rooster sauce). Goes with just about everything including lightly buttered green beans after a few adult beverages. Kind of ends up like hot wing beans. Meh.
    Yes! I'm like a crack fiend with Sriracha.

I also dig Cholula, Goya picante, and Tabasco Chipotle cuz it's evil good on burgers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry, but if you played bass for Van Halen and had your own line of hot sauces, wouldn't you think of naming one of them "Runnin' with the Devil?" I MEAN, COME ON!!!!

I've never tasted it, btw, and this is not a recommendation.

Purchase, sucka.
    Mad Anthony’s 3-Pack
    Last edited by chasea; 12-08-2011 at 03:28 PM.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    I'm sorry, but if you played bass for Van Halen and had your own line of hot sauces, wouldn't you think of naming one of them "Runnin' with the Devil?" I MEAN, COME ON!!!!
    I'd name it "F You Wolfie"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You are on the right path, Too Tall, but go up a notch or two. Marie Sharp's Fiery Hot is tough to improve upon. It could be hotter, but the next level up, Belizean Heat, doesn't have the same quality of flavor as the Fiery Hot. I've convinced the people I work with and we just received an order of four gallons of the stuff (yes, that is gallons!). Love it.

Harth

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So good. Super hot, but not wihthout flavor. I hate hot sauces that just sear the flavor off your tongue.

Cottage cheese for dinner, Greek yogurt for dessert, eat that everyday an' it will make your butt hurt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdxharth View Post
    You are on the right path, Too Tall, but go up a notch or two. Marie Sharp's Fiery Hot is tough to improve upon. It could be hotter, but the next level up, Belizean Heat, doesn't have the same quality of flavor as the Fiery Hot. I've convinced the people I work with and we just received an order of four gallons of the stuff (yes, that is gallons!). Love it.

Harth
    Crazy ain't it? I'll give that whirl. Thanks.
    FWIIW My fav. online spice source is Zamouri and just now opened a box of goodies. Aside from their ridiculously good preserved lemons there is a bottle of smoked chipolte powder that is out of this word. Highly recommended heat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just counted 11 different bottles in the fridge. Must be getting low. Most notable is the takeout soup container filled with the house-made raspberry chipotle wing sauce from the Sterling Hotel. Amazing on eggs. My buddy's habanero citrus sauce is amazing in soups and sauces.

My go-to, vinegar-based hot sauce is Crystal. I prefer it to just about anything else off the corner store shelf. While I'm not a huge Tabasco fan, if I should find myself at a bar or diner and that's all they have to offer, I will mix something like two parts ketchup, one part Tabasco, and that goes on just about everything on the plate. Their chipotle flavored is a big step up in my book, and when at Chipotle, I probably douse about a third of a bottle's worth on my barbacoa bowl.

I'm definitely not into the machisimo "this ain't hot enough" thing - for me sauce adds some kick and flavor. For eggs and breakfast goods, I generally go with the fruit-based stuff. Amazona's mago hot sauce, Pickapepper peach, etc. Yogurt-based dipping sauces get Sriracha, which to my taste is essentially mild heat without much flavor. Definitely use it to juice the Mae Ploy sweet chili sauce (also, TJ's version is way good and lacks all the chems). For chili, Mexican, and pizza, I reach for the Buffalo brand chipotle hot sauce.

I put hot sauce on everything. Everything. Whole grain toast and raspberry preserves for breakfast? Gets a few shots of Crystal on top.
    Last edited by Eddie; 12-08-2011 at 06:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pickapeppa is my staple, great on everything.
    Sriracha sometimes.

Lizano in Costa Rica is good thoug a little thin, more juicy than saucy. I've been meaning to order some though, great on chicken.

I was at the Stirling Hotel last week. Port cheddar burger, yo.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The hotest sauce I ever encountered was a at little Pakistan Kabob house outside of London. After sinking pints all night we'd drive back to Blackheath and stop and get a kabob. And the pepper sauce would really wake you up. I can't remember the name but Pakistan has a special pepper whcih makes a Habanero or Scotch Bonnet look mild. Maybe AntLockyear can chime in since he lives in the London area......

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mexican breadsticks (this could also go in the guilty pleasures thread):

Get a bottle of this stuff and pour some in a little bowl or dipping cup. Cold is fine. It's not exotic, they'll have it at any grocery store:

Mild and Medium also available, the flavor is similar, and the Hot is indeed hot for most.

Grab a bag of bagels and toast a few of them. You have to toast the bagel.

Dip in the sauce and enjoy. Very easy to go through 2 or 3 bagels in a sitting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EddieBirdsell View Post
    While I'm not a huge Tabasco fan, if I should find myself at a bar or diner and that's all they have to offer, I will mix something like two parts ketchup, one part Tabasco, and that goes on just about everything on the plate. Their chipotle flavored is a big step up in my book, and when at Chipotle, I probably douse about a third of a bottle's worth on my barbacoa bowl.
    This. I'm not a Tabasco fan at all, but the chipotle variety is really good stuff. Had some last night.

Cholula, Valentina, Frank's, Texas Pete, Louisiana, Crystal, El Yucateco, all named and all staples.

This stuff is pretty good, too:

Big S farms is nearby. Been meaning to try them out:

The orange stuff is habanero carrot, which sounds great. Plus it's orange, which scores points in Tennessee.
    Last edited by Ben; 12-09-2011 at 11:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ben, the Marie Sharps I like is made with carrot. Let me know how that turns out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm finding the taste bud variety here interesting re: Tobasco. I'm the opposite in that I love original Tobasco, but do not care for Frank's, Crystal or Louisianna in comparison. Nothing wrong with them, but they just seem bland in comparison. However, I do also love the Chipotle, Green and Habanero Tobasco's as well. Haven't had a chance to try the new Buffalo flavored yet.

Has anyone tried to make their own hot sauce? I pureed some Jalepenos with an onion, a little salt, cumin and white vinegar a few weeks ago and it came out kind of between a sauce and a salsa. It wasn't too bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yo Ben we can hang. All those are staples as well. I was gaga over Texas Pete for years and that was my go-to (because that's what they had in the law school cafeteria), and a few years ago I made the switch to Crystal. El Yucateco is a close second to Buffalo on my list of chipotle sauces.

There's just something about Tabasco. I think it's the aged cayenne. I don't dig it, but in ketchup it's passable.

I think I need to order up some Tennessee Sunshine.
    Last edited by Eddie; 12-09-2011 at 06:06 PM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast