Page 13 of 43 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Pegoretti Cicli

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Pegoretti Cicli

This thread has been a pure joy to read, Dario. I can only imagine how your productivity has slipped these past two weeks, but thank you for letting everyone stand around your home and peer into your windows. I especially enjoy the responses about painting and the creative process. Keep making beautiful things.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Round View Post
    just arrived at the shop , strongly reccomend .
    courtesy of Fabrizio e Federico
    d
    Day is done, huh?
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Day is done, huh?
    just the afternoon, evening is still to come !!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today in the beautiful countryside of Verona we spent a couple of hours eating delightful food And drinking amazing wine (s) with Dario, Pietro Cristina of Brooks saddles and all of us the italian friends of round...as i use to say with a Pegoretti Bike you buy a frame and discover a friend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sdg71 View Post
    Today in the beautiful countryside of Verona we spent a couple of hours eating delightful food And drinking amazing wine (s) with Dario, Pietro Cristina of Brooks saddles and all of us the italian friends of round...as i use to say with a Pegoretti Bike you buy a frame and discover a friend.
    Saluti et Centanni!!
    Enjoy the days wherever you are.......always give an extra kiss to the ones you love and have an extra drink with the company you cherish....it's a wonderful time to be alive..

Hope to see all of you soon.

Franco

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

another music question, if you don't mind, dario:

what 'day is done' are you referring to? brad mehldau? or nick drake? or... peter, paul and mary:)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fc356 View Post
    Saluti et Centanni!!
    Enjoy the days wherever you are.......always give an extra kiss to the ones you love and have an extra drink with the company you cherish....it's a wonderful time to be alive..

Hope to see all of you soon.

Franco

Is it just me or is the arrival of the Italians on VSalon possibly the best development in the history of the internet? Dario travels in good company! Tomorrow the respo will get a good ride in the freezing cold!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dario, molte grazie for all you do-- the frames, the art, the creativity and passion. I am most fortunate to have a Duende fixed in Ayers Rock that, as forever emblazoned on the left chainstay, was "Handmade in Italia 30-06-2010." i read somewhere that your inspiration for the dot motif was Aboriginal art. Would you care to elaborate? Is it possible to get any touch up paint from Gita for the beautiful burgundy and cream colors? Are your colors from the Pantone color charts by chance? Finally, i wonder if you, as a frame builder who is also a painter, are familiar with the work of Britsh film director Peter Greenaway, who is also a painter? He's best known for The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover, among other works. His films are achingly beautiful, highly structured, and formally composed. He reminds me of you: formalism married to beauty.
    Last edited by PDAR; 12-10-2011 at 10:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Dario. I was curious if you could help with a question- I had a Pinarello Dyna-Lite frame built in November 1995. I later heard that you may have been doing some of the welding on those frames about that time. Is this possible, or a myth? Thank you for reminiscing on this, and I hope to visit your shop and meet you someday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PDAR View Post
    Dario, molte grazie for all you do-- the frames, the art, the creativity and passion. I am most fortunate to have a Duende fixed in Ayers Rock that, as forever emblazoned on the left chainstay, was "Handmade in Italia 30-06-2010." i read somewhere that your inspiration for the dot motif was Aboriginal art. Would you care to elaborate? Is it possible to get any touch up paint from Gita for the beautiful burgundy and cream colors? Are your colors from the Pantone color charts by chance? Finally, i wonder if you, as a frame builder who is also a painter, are familiar with the work of Britsh film director Peter Greenaway, who is also a painter? He's best known for The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover, among other works. His films are achingly beautiful, highly structured, and formally composed. He reminds me of you: formalism married to beauty.
    PDAR, I can see what you mean about Greenaway and achingingly beautiful. That seques (sp?) nicely into my question. An open one to all. and a specific one to "Round".

All: What do you love about the bicycle?
    For my part, putting aside the beautiful mechanical efficiency, I see a metaphor. The bike, like the earth, spins. It "cycles" around the sun, and the spin contributes to our rekoning of time. Likewise, the seemingly deterministic repetitive motions on the bike lead to a journey, which is also usually circular in nature. And like life, the trick is to enjoy the ride!!!!

Round: I am blessed enough to be waiting for a Ciavete Responsorum via Kyle in Philadelphia...Beethoven "Ode to Joy" and "clockwork". The question I have is, for 30-80 km rides through rolling hills, what wheelset would give the most aesthetic (not nec. fastest or lightest) ride??

Thank you for your art!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bruce,

They're bicycles, not metaphors. Take a deep breath!
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi guys,

let me introduce myself, my name is Johnni and I live close to Garda Lake in the province of Brescia (Italy). I am a fan of handmade steel bike and I love the vintage world of cycling. I own two bicycles from the 80s and every day I try to find components for future creations.

Driven by irresistible wish to own a Pegoretti bike, I recently met the great Dario, thanks to some dear friends (one of them is Alberto member of this forum) and after two meetings at the workshop in Caldonazzo spent drinking good wine (many bottles) eating salami and cheese, talking about cycling, music and of course women my project has been carefully thought out and in the coming months will see the light thanks to the expert hands of Dario and Pero.

I am very excited to be part of this wonderful forum, I will be happy to help you to find vintage components, please feel free to contact me for more questions!

I hope to meet you at the Pego-day in May 2012 in Caldonazzo, I will try to help Alberto for the organization.

Bye

Johnni

P.S.: sorry for my "superficial" english language
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving” Albert Einstein

ASD V.I.MO Squadra corse del Buonsenso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great Nick,

it was a great day spent with great friends, I really enjoyed. Now, for me, it's time to stop eating (i'm like a fat bull) and start again to ride a bike, the 2012 cycling season start now!

I hope to see you soon

Johnni
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving” Albert Einstein

ASD V.I.MO Squadra corse del Buonsenso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by over-the-hill View Post
    Hi Dario
    What effect does heat treating the tubes have? And, how is it done?
    Thanks
    Paul
    Ciao Paul,
    short question for a long answer ,
    I hope I do not write wrong things in relation to the fact that I don't know all English technical terms relate to the heat treatment, if someone finds any errors is welcome to suggest a better translation .

the question of heat treatment of tubes is quite complex with several variables, my thought is that it makes sense with a type of join technique such as tig and less with the lugs, the term heat treatment is very general and includes different types of intervention on metals with different purposes depending on the use you make of the product.
    In the case of tubes for steel frames the steps are the following:
    a) tempera
    b) distentsion

the tempera rises the UTS and increase the hardness respect to metal only cold work and reduce the elongation, hardens the metal making it fragile. The process consists in bringing the metal at high temperatures (the temperature is variable depending by the alloy to be treated ) in a furnace and then cool it very quickly.
    For cooling, you can use different methods such as air, water, oil, salt compounds etc. erc ...
    The result after "tempera" makes the product useless because the low elongation plus the fragility of the metal makes it dangerous to bicycle use.
    So it is necessary to perform a stress relived (a.k.a. distension) that involves heating the metal in the oven at a temperature lower than the tempera for a very long time, this returns the metal ductility, increases the elongation while reducing slightly UTS.
    Why carry out heat treatment?
    The easiest answer would be that increasing the uts give to us the opportunity to reduce the thickness of the tubes than saving weight with a good safety limit , but this procedure would reduce the moment of inertia of the tube sections beyond reducing rigidity of the structure, it must be remembered that the heat treatment has no appreciable effect on the variation of young's modulus, so from a theoretical point of view riding on a low quality steel frame instead of a high quality one or heat treated frame , does not imply any difference in performance for equal diameters thickness and sections.
    This from a theoretical point of view/Design.
    In fact we must remember that there is always a iteration between man and machine, the rider can feel the machine .
    In my opinion is possible to feel an appreciable difference between a HT and a non HT frame, it could be define as more "springy" , faster in response to sollecitation , this is, in my opinion, the correct way to take advantage of the heat treatment, not so much the fact to save weight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nierman View Post
    This thread has been a pure joy to read, Dario. I can only imagine how your productivity has slipped these past two weeks, but thank you for letting everyone stand around your home and peer into your windows. I especially enjoy the responses about painting and the creative process. Keep making beautiful things.

Cheers
    Ciao
    Thanks for your words, is really a pleasure to be here, I am heartened, I like a lot, and I believe it is time well spent for my own pleasure.
    grazie mille a tutti voi
    d

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the record , some pictures of Custoza , near Verona , great food like the "bollito con la pearà .
    We had wonderful moments, and incredible, the day was not perfect, a little cloudy, but from the Windows of the restaurant we could see no less than 300 cyclists riding on the front road . fantastic!!
    d
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ashwa64 View Post
    another music question, if you don't mind, dario:

what 'day is done' are you referring to? brad mehldau? or nick drake? or... peter, paul and mary:)
    Ciao ,
    i was referring to the Brad Mehldau version , I also love the Nick Drake version , is really difficult to make a choice but I was referring to Brad Mehldau.
    take care
    d

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good morning dario -

what is the status of the framebuilding in italy (not including brands that have parts made under license, be it from china or elsewhere)?
    is there any interest from younger people to come in to the trade and make it a career path?
    or, can you see the close of the era when the amount of folks making frames like this will be more of a curiosity and sidebar to the industry as we know it?

in short, what is next?

ciao atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PDAR View Post
    Ciao
    It is true, I've always loved the Aboriginal painting, I took many times inspired by Aboriginal use of color, I find that the technique developed during the years without academic studies but only through the passage of experiences through the generations is fantastic and unique, the reference to the colors of the Earth, and the simplicity/complexity of Aboriginal art has always fascinated me.
    I think the Aboriginal art is still clean, spontaneous, genuine, deeply linked to the man and his land.
    Sure, you can have a touch up paint by gita, we do not use pantone color but ral code as reference colors:
    RAL Color Chart | www.RALcolor.com

I don't know this director but now i'm curious about him , I'll try to find his work.
    ciao
    d

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Will Yount View Post
    Hi Dario. I was curious if you could help with a question- I had a Pinarello Dyna-Lite frame built in November 1995. I later heard that you may have been doing some of the welding on those frames about that time. Is this possible, or a myth? Thank you for reminiscing on this, and I hope to visit your shop and meet you someday.
    Ciao ,
    you are always welcome, come whenever you want and about youe question , yes is possible.
    have a nice day
    d