Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Any other honey fans?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Any other honey fans?

Must be lunchtime, I'm ignoring the tire discussions for the food dept. I am a huge fan of honey. Without really meaning to, somehow I have a collection of about 20 varieties from stateside farmers markets and abroad. Two standout favorites are a lime blossom honey from Italy bought from some airport duty-free somewhere that I'm trying to source before it's gone, delicate and perfumed like my wife on our (erm...) honeymoon. The other is very different, a complex black colored thick buckwheat honey from a farm stand near Billings MT that has become amazing in a semi-crystalline state for peanut butter and honey sandwiches, cut into quarters to carry on long rides in cool weather. I hardly ever use sport drinks, my bottles usually contain cold green tea and local honey with a pinch of sea salt. And Hammer gel has nothing over the bees.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Any other honey fans?

Quote Originally Posted by ZenNMotion View Post
    Must be lunchtime, I'm ignoring the tire discussions for the food dept. I am a huge fan of honey. Without really meaning to, somehow I have a collection of about 20 varieties from stateside farmers markets and abroad. Two standout favorites are a lime blossom honey from Italy bought from some airport duty-free somewhere that I'm trying to source before it's gone, delicate and perfumed like my wife on our (erm...) honeymoon. The other is very different, a complex black colored thick buckwheat honey from a farm stand near Billings MT that has become amazing in a semi-crystalline state for peanut butter and honey sandwiches, cut into quarters to carry on long rides in cool weather. I hardly ever use sport drinks, my bottles usually contain cold green tea and local honey with a pinch of sea salt. And Hammer gel has nothing over the bees.
    Tupelo is not uncommon but boy do I love it.
    At our county fair there was an old fellow who used to sell unusual honey he'd collected over the yr. from honey growers conventions and he'd resell. The most interesting I ever purchased from him was Tulip Poplar!!! Of all things.
    Big fan of chewing raw honey comb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as a beekeeper i also love honey and buy something local whenever i travel. the honey i produce is kind of generic but it changes seasonally as different flower bloom. also, my kids love it almost as much as i do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Local clover honey is my go to energy gel in a hammer flask. 3parts honey 1parts water no glycogen spikes and easily metabolized. au natural!
    "make the break"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve read that eating local honey will help develop some (though not complete) immunity to hay fever, and as such I will buy it from a farmer’s market and/or local apple/pumpkin patches in the fall (along with apples, apple butter, hot cider and fresh donuts, but that’s another thread entirely.)

Super markets in SW France have dozens of types of honey on the shelves, and I usually bring back a jar or two of liquidy, dark brown Pyrenees style honey. The wife likes hers lighter and more crystallized.

I always put a couple tsp of honey into any dough I make- adds a nice flavor without being overbearing.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A family friend sends us a holiday pack from Honeyville every year. It's usually gone in less than a week. Another buddy from Wisconsin started his own keeping this year and sent me a jar of it. After sweet wildflower honey I just can't do that clover shit anymore - tastes like potpourri.

Slice up an in-season honey crisp apple, dip it in warmed honey/peanut butter and enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been eating this stuff. Which should be called Holliston Honey Co, but wha'eves.
    I eat it daily with 2% greek yogurt.

Also, this opened recently in Harv. sq.
    I write for daily serving

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't claim wide exposure to various honeys, buy my favorite has been Cuesta Honey from Cuesta NM. It's often hard-to-get because they compete with the bears for the hives, but I can taste the struggle for survival in it. OK, I made that up. It's just good honey w/o the super-floral taste of what I find at Whole Paycheck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ohia tree blossoms
    make the best
    grittier the better

damn the tropics are awesome