Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rice: The secret is good rice and patience

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rice: The secret is good rice and patience

Imho the secret to yummy rice is to drizzle melt butter over it before fluffing. Butter makes it better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shinomaster View Post
    Imho the secret to yummy rice is to drizzle melt butter over it before fluffing. Butter makes it better.
    If you like fat and rice, try what my family calls "Chicken Fat Rice".
    -Make your own chicken stock without trimming fat from the bones (what??You don't make your own stock?)
    -Cool stock and skim fat
    -Cook rice using stock instead of water and 3 generous Tablespoons of the chicken fat for every 2 cups of rice (add with stock). Add more fat if you want. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and the tiniest pinch of sugar.
    Hmmmmmmmm......

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by summilux View Post
    -Make your own chicken stock without trimming fat from the bones (what??You don't make your own stock?)
    -Cool stock and skim fat
    -Cook rice using stock instead of water and 3 generous Tablespoons of the chicken fat for every 2 cups of rice (add with stock). Add more fat if you want. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and the tiniest pinch of sugar.
    Hmmmmmmmm......
    Dewd, stick around. I like how you roll.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by summilux View Post
    -Cool stock and skim fat
    Hmmmmmmmm......
    Yeah I could eat that. Had this for lunch. :) Nong's Khao Man Gai | Food Carts Portland

My mom made her pilaf with plenty of chicken broth and butter, and that's pretty good too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

long grain brown with a bit of butter, bullion, and salt
    sometimes i eat it just like this with some liquid aminos on top

YUM!

rice.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    long grain brown with a bit of butter, bullion, and salt
    sometimes i eat it just like this with some liquid aminos on top

YUM!

rice.jpg
    EXACTLY.
    I just finished off the a leftover pot of long grain bronw by crisping it up in a heavy skillet with a fine onion dice and one easy over egg on top. Can't beat that with a stick after a long bike ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rice arces are dropping. Wine is replacing them in Australia and corn/soybean are in the Delta. So eat more rice.

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good stuff in here... lots of ideas to try out. I'm typically using the texmati and it's been solid. I'll have a looksee and try to find some of the high end stuff.

Depending upon the dish we're making, we'll add some flavoring elements to the water. I'm drawing a blank, but some of them are quality Jasmine tea (the Tea I have is balled up whole flowers... they stay intact for the most part, so you can pull em when done if desired), dried chilis, citrus zest, shreds of fresh ginger, and others that are escaping me.

The obvious dishes are stir fry type things and indian, but I've done some really nice soups, but cook them down enough to thicken up and serve over rice. Awesome. We also do fried rice fairly frequently... cook the rice, as normal then quickly saute some garlic, peppers, and whatever other veggies are on hand/make sense, scramble an egg or two, brown some tofu in teriyaki or whatever and brown the whole lot of it in a large pan with some additional sauce. Always a crowd pleaser.

We cook the rice, 1.5 : 1, water to rice, stirring once early on, then set to simmer and leave it be. Always cooked in a stainless saucepan, cuz that's what we have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mmm chicken fat. that's good stuff-screw all that white meat hype.

back to the subject:

While i'm limited on my worldly rice experience and preferences I have learned to make a suitable sushi rice from the medium grains available here in hilltown, mid-continent. And make the staple/side from long grains. I only go nuts rinsing for sushi.

I learned to cook it from Justin Wilson. His technique: Put rice in pan, cover with water-to first joint of index finger (about 1-inch/25 mm-accuracy is irrelevant). Bring to boil, and keep rolling uncovered (reduced somewhat) until water is just gurgling up through holes in the rice. THEN cover, reduce heat to very low/warm for at least 15 minutes longer is fine (preferred) if heat is low enough. Don't stir. keep cover on.

You'll have to experiment with your range setting to get perfect, no scorch rice. Once you find that point it's easy to take it to the "just scorched" goodness level. This is controlled by how much water you let cook out before lidding it...and your heat. If you overshoot, don't freak-just add some water and give it time. Then scrape or don't scrape the bottom-depending on what you desire.

For sushi rice i do the same, but rinse heavily and add the vinegar/sugar/salt mix and stir at the very end- giving it enough time for work. And have amazed myself at the cotton candy-like melt-in-your-mouth under the fish results. Not sure if that's traditional, but I dig it.

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody got a good recipe for Tamarind rice? I've had the pleasure of haing some at a local indian place recently and it was delicious. I've been itching to dabble with indian dishes lately and looking for some ideas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am going to have to eat some more basmati...You've made it sound so delicious.

I usually just stick with quinoa - but my grains always end up overcooked and a little mushy. z

I suppose I need to tend them better. Alice Water's method sounds promising, and longlegged-proof.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Basmati that Trader Joe's carries is nice, has a good, nutty flavor and nice texture.

I do a slightly modified method. Preheat oven to 350F. In a large cast iron skillet, bring olive oil to temp, then brown onion, or onion and celery, or a full mirapois if you're feeling frisky. Toss in desired amount of rice (I usually use 1C), stir until rice becomes slightly translucent. Add preferred liquid (I usually use chicken stock) and just bring to a boil, then cover pan and put in oven for 20-25 minutes. Best rice ever, and takes all of 5 minutes of prep time.
    Pete Ruckelshaus * Teacher, Fat Guy on a Bike * Collegeville, PA

pruckelshaus' flickr
    Framejig.wordpress.com effort to collect DIY framebuilding jig designs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also like to fry rice kernals a bit to get them to cook up nice and fluffy and plump.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12