Thread: Big Green Egg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Big Green Egg

Did a tuneup of the egg this weekend.
    New gasket, new chimney cap, replaced the lower vent screen, and the vented base that the charcoal sits on.
    And, at the suggestion of our local butcher, instead of BGE charcoal, I picked up two bags of Clay Hill charcoal (one cherry, and one sugar maple.)
    Used the latter to make ribs yesterday and oh boy is it good stuff. Seems to burn a lot slower than BGE stuff.

my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey that charcoal. Hmmmm. Local source?
    How are you keeping that Smokeware cap clean? I'm a bit weary of it constantly gumming up altho it works well I'm going back to the orig. cap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    How are you keeping that Smokeware cap clean? I'm a bit weary of it constantly gumming up altho it works well I'm going back to the orig. cap.
    The charcoal is made in PA and I bought it at the butcher in McLean. A quick google search brings up a link to a Maryland BBQ retailer as well.

First cook with the cap yesterday and yessir it is surprisingly dirty. Also the little silicon sleeve that attaches to the slide tab is less than worthless and came off multiple times already. Have not tried to clean it, yet (the beauty of house arrest is plenty of time betwixt now and next weekend...)
    Per instructions it seems the base piece of it should stay on the egg since it presses down on the gasket it came with. And you can clean the upper piece as you wish. Do you agree or should the whole thing come off after each use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I had one for a few years and never had issues with it gumming up. I did low and slow and hot and fast on the Egg tho....maybe if all you do is lower temp it'll gum up...
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    The charcoal is made in PA and I bought it at the butcher in McLean. A quick google search brings up a link to a Maryland BBQ retailer as well.

First cook with the cap yesterday and yessir it is surprisingly dirty. Also the little silicon sleeve that attaches to the slide tab is less than worthless and came off multiple times already. Have not tried to clean it, yet (the beauty of house arrest is plenty of time betwixt now and next weekend...)
    Per instructions it seems the base piece of it should stay on the egg since it presses down on the gasket it came with. And you can clean the upper piece as you wish. Do you agree or should the whole thing come off after each use?
    The whole silly thing needs a good de-greasing every few cooks. I learned the hard way after the Egg was good and hot not being able to rotate the cap grrr. I swear I'm going back to the orig. cap. The only reason I switched is because I dropped the orig. cap and it's cast iron sooooo kablooie.

My google-foo is weak, send me a link. Can't find that stuff anywhere. BTW I agree the BGE charcoal is lifeless at best.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 03-17-2020 at 07:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I literally used mine several times a week, for about two years, never cleaned it once. What are y'all cooking?
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    I literally used mine several times a week, for about two years, never cleaned it once. What are y'all cooking?
    Send me yours.

Mostly smoking chicken, turkey and the occasional burgers. The most often heat settings are 280 or 325/350. Maybe it's the crap lump charcoal I'm using? I tend to use my BGE twice a week, maybe I use it....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Link to Charcoal in MD
    Clay Hill Cookers Hickory lump charcoal - MDBBQ Services

Also. Someone on here cautioned me away from Cowboy brand charcoal in favor of the BGE stuff early on, and I hate to say it but based on early returns: Clay Hill is to BGE what BGE is to Cowboy.

Will keep an eye on the cap. My original chimney is fine, I just bought this one on a whim when I ordered new gasket and screen etc.

I do find it helpful to really scorch the damn thing every once in a while. Either to burn the whole thing out at the end of a slow and low cook or just to crank it for fat steaks or pizzas and let it really burn afterwards.
    Last edited by robin3mj; 03-17-2020 at 09:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Link to Charcoal in MD
    Clay Hill Cookers Hickory lump charcoal - MDBBQ Services

Also. Someone on here cautioned me away from Cowboy brand charcoal in favor of the BGE stuff early on, and I hate to say it but based on early returns: Clay Hill is to BGE what BGE is to Cowboy.

Will keep an eye on the cap. My original chimney is fine, I just bought this one on a whim when I ordered new gasket and screen etc.

I do find it helpful to really scorch the damn thing every once in a while. Either to burn the whole thing out at the end of a slow and low cook or just to crank it for fat steaks or pizzas and let it really burn afterwards.
    I'm soaking the cap in hot water than pat dry and use denatured alcohol to get it working again....I'm about ready to pound it into sand.
    Thanks for the link my friend.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 03-18-2020 at 07:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the charcoal link...I exchanged a few emails with the owner as it’s not sold online and not local (Western PA) yet. He asked for a few good butcher shops in my area, as those are good clients for him and he has a trip scheduled in a month or two to promote his product in the region.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jumping in late on the smokeware cap. I used one for several years but also had issues with it gumming up as well as struggling to hold temps below 250 for those really long/slow cooks. Ultimately went back to the original cap for since it’s cleaner and I can control the temps better.
    Nathan H

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I finally got around to updating the hinge assembly on my large. Holy Smokes! Along with a new screen for the bottom vent and a fresh gasket, it is like new. (Except for my cracked fire box. I’ve learned that the iron vent on top let’s in the occasional rain and then the wet ceramic can crack when you get it hot. I now stash my vent and put the glazed top on it between uses.)
    Jeff Hazeltine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by classtimesailer View Post
    I finally got around to updating the hinge assembly on my large. Holy Smokes! Along with a new screen for the bottom vent and a fresh gasket, it is like new. (Except for my cracked fire box. I’ve learned that the iron vent on top let’s in the occasional rain and then the wet ceramic can crack when you get it hot. I now stash my vent and put the glazed top on it between uses.)
    Welcome back. Now I can stand down the intervention ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just found this thread after getting a MiniMax BGE a few months ago. I figured the pandemic would give me time to slow down and tinker with some indirect cooking. So far I'm learning how to build a fire, and have cooked a few pork shoulders with the convEGGorator (aka plate setter). For searing, I've done usual fare - salmon, burgers or steaks usually 1x week. One think to learn was how to cut down on white smoke period. Has - haven't got up the courage to do a brisket yet, but am experimenting with different lump as well as hickory and pecan woods. Went a bit crazy with the accessories and added a Kick-Ash Basket, cast-iron grill and a pizza stone - very happy with all of them. I'll post up some pictures from my next cook - am stoked every time I fire it up.