Thread: Big Green Egg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Big Green Egg

Quote Originally Posted by summilux View Post
    Oven mitts. I prefer shorter tongs/spatula for control.
    Good ideas and yes I've tried many combinations of the sort, but I prefer to cook the same way I ride; hands naked. I feel clumsy with mitts. Just a personal preference - seems the older I get the longer my list of preferences become.

TooTall,

The steak drill... Keep in mind I like them rare.

I always insist on fresh cut dry aged ribeyes, no less than 1-3/4" thick. 2" is perfect for me. I usually do my best to keep the steaks at room temp or let them reach room temp before putting them on the grill. Seasoned only with cracked pepper and a few pinches of course salt. My thought is to not cover the taste of quality meat with seasoning. I pull out the rub on the cheaper steaks.

I open the bottom vent 100% and leave the top vent unobstructed. Ignite the coals and let it come to temp. Many times I step away, have a beer or two and give it time for the needle touch the 700F mark.

I put the steaks on the grill in the most central area possible. Sometimes this is tough when you have more than 3 steaks going at one time.

As soon as I place them, I start the timer for 4 minutes and close the lid. If the flame is really raging I put the cast iron vent on top but keep it open. This cuts down the allowable free area just enough control the flame but keep the heat. Worst case, I control the air with the top vent, leaving the bottom fully open. After 4 minutes, I turn the steaks using a large spatula (rarely do I use an implement that pierces the meat) and set the clock for another 4 minutes.

After the second 4 minute 'interval', I remove the steaks and take them inside, put them on the counter AWAY FROM THE DOG and let them rest uncovered for 5-10 minutes. To me, this is the most important part (other than the dog comment). This allows the high temps to equalize and slowly 'cook' the meat. It also increases the graduation within the meat. I've found by leaving them uncovered increases the moister retained.

Hope this helps. Let me know how they turn out.

FYI - When dealing with these high temps it's VERY IMPORTANT to note the risk of flashback or backflash. The manual talks about this and it's no joke. Please heed the warnings. This damn BGE has bitten me on two occasions. Slow learner I guess.

Damn, this has made me hungry. I guess it's a stop at Whole Foods this weekend.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody used a Dutch oven in their Egg? If so, care to share a recipe, or what you like to cook?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You ARE bringing the BGE to So France, no? Can't wait to laugh, ride and eat with ya'll.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian E Hammer View Post
    You ARE bringing the BGE to So France, no? Can't wait to laugh, ride and eat with ya'll.....
    The French would plotz if they found out what we can do with BBQ. I'll take their cheese, omg I'll take their cheese. Wait til we hit the Aups market and score some of the chevre'. It will be hard to not dive in before you sit on a curb with a baguette.

Thanks RAS, that's what I needed. Sounds like the steaks I tried were too thin. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meet the Boska Cheese Barbeclette. Works quickly and as advertised. Lets you put melted cheese over the cold tomato. Their other cheese tools are pretty kickass as well.

Cheese Barbeclette — Boska

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any recos on a rain cover for the egg?
    I was using a $10 weber-shaped cover that ripped to shreds almost immediately. No big deal as we had an upstairs deck that kept most of the rain off, but I need to replace it. $90 for the official BGE cover is a lot of cheddar.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    I was using a $10 weber-shaped cover that ripped to shreds almost immediately. No big deal as we had an upstairs deck that kept most of the rain off, but I need to replace it. $90 for the official BGE cover is a lot of cheddar.
    Suck it up we paid ?what? for the BGE already what's a slice off a cut loaf ;)
    The official BGE cover is a 10 out of 10. I expect it to last for a long time. Money well overspent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the BGE very much, it is useful, so many delicious food can be cook.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do we need a cover?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The BGE cover is very durable. $90 is expensive but it keeps it well protected. I would recommend it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ras72 View Post

The steak drill... Keep in mind I like them rare.
    One experiment that worked very well was placing the grill closer to the fire by removing the fire ring. I have been disappointed with my lack of charr on my steaks so I wanted to get them closer to the flame and heat. What I do is..... Remove the fire ring light up some lump cc. And let them coal-up. Then about 10 minutes before them steaks go on I place fresh lump cc on top of the coals and put the grill about 2 inches from the cc. The fresh cc will light up in about 10 minutes then I will put the steaks on drenched in EVO, salt and pepper. I will cook them will tongs and keep the egg open (most of the time) so I cook one side at a time. i know this sound counter-culture to the egg, but this setup really grills a steak well. I will always argue temperature control grill steaks is soooo overrated. One just needs that grill above 500f. What is important the layers of differentiating texture through a steak which is achieved by high temperature and contact with a flame.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a pizza about 5 minutes from done, we cook last weekend on the egg.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Favourite things....IMG00252-20120428-1645.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome chicken wing and veggies..... 40 minutes 325F + gatorhammock hot sauce

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Catching up.
    Ras72 - Buddyboy, that works really well thank you. The secret is indeed thicker cuts.
    It is time for me to install a new seal, the old one went south sometime after the second pizza-fest. Sheesh, these things can get really hot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any tips on a bone-in rib roast?
    6lbs.

I've got it rubbed w/ salt/pepper/spices, and a pan of stock under the grill grate. Plan is to throw it on at 225F until meat temp hits 115, remove and cover in foil while I bring the Egg temp way up, and a quick sear/char, rest then serve.

Wife and bro-in-law are roasting potatoes/parsnips/sprouts, and making Yorkshire pudding.
    Nice, rainy Sunday.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any tips on a bone-in rib roast?
    6lbs.

I've got it rubbed w/ salt/pepper/spices, and a pan of stock under the grill grate. Plan is to throw it on at 225F until meat temp hits 115, remove and cover in foil while I bring the Egg temp way up, and a quick sear/char, rest then serve.

Wife and bro-in-law are roasting potatoes/parsnips/sprouts, and making Yorkshire pudding.
    Nice, rainy Sunday.
    No. I think you have that one nailed.
    If it was me I'd add some fresh aromatic to the rub and throw a bit on the coals for smoke to finish it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    No. I think you have that one nailed.
    If it was me I'd add some fresh aromatic to the rub and throw a bit on the coals for smoke to finish it.
    I wasn't sure if adding any wood to smoke it would improve it or not.
    It came out really nicely- a bit more tender than in the oven, and the char in the last couple minutes was tasty as all get out.

The stock under the grate burned pretty quickly though- next time will use those little green risers to keep the pan directly off the plate-setter.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my new BGE is being delivered tomorrow...

what should i cook first??? wish me luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by funcrusher View Post
    my new BGE is being delivered tomorrow...

what should i cook first??? wish me luck
    For your first cook, probably a good idea -not- to do a high temp cook (pizza, steak, etc). It can damage the gasket. Do a low temp cook to sort of cure it in.

Do some reading to make sure you understand how to get the temp set (easy). Then, a really easy, and good one IMHO is slow cooked back ribs. Get a rib rack for like $15 at any department or hardware store. Spread some mustard on the ribs, give them a coating of whatever spice mix you like. Put a good amount of hardwood charcoal in the egg, light it and give it 25-30 minutes to light to burn off the nasty part of the charcoal, but use the vents to keep the temp from going over 300. Shoot for 280-290.
    Put the ribs on for about 4 hours. Take off and put bbq sauce on them, put in for another 30 minutes.

That is what I did for my first, and it continues to be one of my basic favorites. Several variations, some people like to use foil at certain points, etc.

Good luck!