Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Big Green Egg

Chicago people- BGE trunk show at Chopping Block coming up:
    You’re Invited « The Chopping Blog

We are moving in a few weeks- I am not looking forward to moving our egg crosstown.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    Chicago people- BGE trunk show at Chopping Block coming up:
    You’re Invited « The Chopping Blog

We are moving in a few weeks- I am not looking forward to moving our egg crosstown.
    Good luck with that. I had one he!! of a time moving mine from the store 5 miles away without damage. Luckily they do roll....on wheels.
    Hey, I destroyed the gasket making pizza. I'll install one of those fancy "indestructable" gaskets this weekend or next and report back. FWIIW I've been merrily cooking turkeys and chickens despite the loss. It will still hold < 300F easily for hrs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone have any experiece with the other brands of kamado grill? My local grill store within walking distance who I'd prefer to patronize sells the Kamado Joe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Does anyone have any experiece with the other brands of kamado grill? My local grill store within walking distance who I'd prefer to patronize sells the Kamado Joe.
    I looked at it and bought the BGE local. If the K.J. was my only local choice I'd have that they look really good.
    Review of the Kamado Joe Classic Cooker -- Naked Whiz Ceramic Charcoal Cooking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh man, i am still scarred from my dad acting like a crazed Alzheimer patient when speaking about the egg a few years ago

i'll cook my bird on something else..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Josh, it's not my only local source. I can get an egg from 2 other places withing 10-15 minutes drive. My local grill store is a short walk away. I'm really impressed with the quality of all of them. I'm seriously looking into the eggs because my gas grill, smoker and charcoal grill all are pretty much done. I think this will replace all three pretty well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My neighbor has a big kamado. Not sure of the brand. He does this smoked chicken on it that is completely off the hook.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Josh, it's not my only local source. I can get an egg from 2 other places withing 10-15 minutes drive. My local grill store is a short walk away. I'm really impressed with the quality of all of them. I'm seriously looking into the eggs because my gas grill, smoker and charcoal grill all are pretty much done. I think this will replace all three pretty well.
    Can't miss buddy boy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Hey, I destroyed the gasket making pizza. I'll install one of those fancy "indestructable" gaskets this weekend or next and report back. FWIIW I've been merrily cooking turkeys and chickens despite the loss. It will still hold < 300F easily for hrs.
    How's your new gasket? I need to replace mine.
    And regarding brisket, wrap it. I think we BGE users want to believe that the Egg will keep any meat moist all by itself. I finally started wrapping my brisket and the family finally stopped complaining.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Good luck with that. I had one he!! of a time moving mine from the store 5 miles away without damage. Luckily they do roll....on wheels.
    What gasket did you get? I bought a BGE about 3 weeks ago and torched the gasket when I made pizzas and added a bit of hickory to increase the temp. On the positive side the temp gauge wound all the way around and was reading above 200f. I'm finally having luck with my sourdough crust so I'd like to have a good solution for the gasket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love my BGE!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BGE....so tempting. Going to the local dealer tomorrow just to pick up some Dizzy brand spices. Hopefully I manage to get out of their without spending $1300....

Question - if you need to move the egg, say, up a set of stairs, or in and out of your car (if moving, etc), how do you pick it up? Is it hard for two people to carry? My understanding is that given the shape and weight, it is very difficult to move..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notoriousdjw View Post
    What gasket did you get? I bought a BGE about 3 weeks ago and torched the gasket when I made pizzas and added a bit of hickory to increase the temp. On the positive side the temp gauge wound all the way around and was reading above 200f. I'm finally having luck with my sourdough crust so I'd like to have a good solution for the gasket.
    High-Que sells this: Nomex High Heat Gasket with Adhesive Upgrade Kit for Large Big Green Egg Grill

Honetly, I have not installed yet and am still making pizzas and cooking poultry just fine. If you are cooking low and slow the gasket is a big deal because it allows for very conservative charcoal useage. Even with my gaskets burnt out the BGE will hold < 300 no problem for 3 hrs. and charcoal useage is really not bad. Once I finish with travel and life settles down I'll install the gasket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
    BGE....so tempting. Going to the local dealer tomorrow just to pick up some Dizzy brand spices. Hopefully I manage to get out of their without spending $1300....

Question - if you need to move the egg, say, up a set of stairs, or in and out of your car (if moving, etc), how do you pick it up? Is it hard for two people to carry? My understanding is that given the shape and weight, it is very difficult to move..
    Imagine moving a 140 lbs live chicken egg ;)
    If I had to move the thing from outside to inside and up a set of stairs than three people could do it. The large weights 140 lbs minus the stand. If I had to move it in a car I would disassemble it, wrap in moving blankets and box it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had a BGE for several years now and never regretted the purchase. I've cooked everything from Thanksgiving turkeys to roasted marshmallows (kids love to roast marshmallows over the hot coals after dinner).
    A 2" thick dry-aged ribeye steak seared at 600F for 4 minutes on each side and taken off to rest for another 5, is something to behold.
    My only issue or complaint is the position of the cooking surface. The grate is below the rim opening by a couple inches. Makes it difficult to retrieve/flip food while keeping your hand away from the heat. Currently searching for a riser to get the grate same level as the rim.
    TooTall, thanks for the High-Que suggestion. 'Bout to place an order.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ras72 View Post
    .... Makes it difficult to retrieve/flip food while keeping your hand away from the heat....
    Longer set of tongs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had a BGE for several years now and never regretted the purchase. I've cooked everything from Thanksgiving turkeys to roasted marshmallows (kids love to roast marshmallows over the hot coals after dinner).
    A 2" thick dry-aged ribeye steak seared at 600F for 4 minutes on each side and taken off to rest for another 5, is something to behold.
    My only issue or complaint is the position of the cooking surface. The grate is below the rim opening by a couple inches. Makes it difficult to retrieve/flip food while keeping your hand away from the heat. Currently searching for a riser to get the grate same level as the rim.
    TooTall, thanks for the High-Que suggestion. 'Bout to place an order.
    Steak-Master. What's your drill for this? I got it up to 600+ with the vent wide open, added steaks than closed the grill afterwards attempting to control the high temps. It was not a panic but next time I buy much thicker steaks. The sear was heavenly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Makes it difficult to retrieve/flip food while keeping your hand away from the heat.
    Oven mitts. I prefer shorter tongs/spatula for control.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We bought a BGE about a month ago, totally on a lark and the recommendation of a good salesman. Love it; we find ourselves inventing things to make on it..

Very happy to have found this thread!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by summilux View Post
    Oven mitts. I prefer shorter tongs/spatula for control.
    HA! I thought that I was being a sissy ;) I'm using silicon oven mitts. They are wonderful.