Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Big Green Egg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Big Green Egg

We did some chops like that one time...but we wrapped them in bacon and dropped them into the deep fry pit. Damn, those were good. Dustin, those look choice as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, I've had my BGE for a bunch of years (12 to be exact). I've always left it out, in the weather, uncovered but kept it clean and in good working order. The other day I cranked it up for the first time in a month or so. Brought it up to a high temp and began to notice some moisture being pushed through the ceramic and exterior enamel coating. I've seen this before and didnt think too much about it, until i heard this loud POP. Then another.. This resulted in two quarter size spots of enamel coating popping off leaving behind a raw spot of ceramic. I'm not real happy about this...
    Anyone else have this issue?
    Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No sir. That is sad news. What does the Mfg say?.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I plan to give them a shout very soon. I've read they have great customer service. I shall test this information and keep you posted.
    Last edited by Ras72; 03-23-2017 at 10:04 AM. Reason: added info
    Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well...I've decided to retire my Egg. We got ours used, came with the house because the stand is built into the deck. I've already spent nearly $200 to replace the firebox (it was already cracked when we got it), the fire ring is broken, the band design is dumb and a total PITA to adjust once it goes out of adjustment, and a few weeks ago I found a crack in the base. Starts about halfway down one side, goes across the bottom, and about a foot up the other side. A replacment base will be $500+. Of course if I were the original owner it would be covered under warranty, but I'm not the original owner. So I thought about just buying a new one ($700 for a Large at the my local Ace currently), but that's a lot of cheddar for a grill that often gives people problems. Cracked bases aren't at all uncommon, and the bands require adjustment every year or so. I'll admit I even thought briefly about buying a new one, and in a few months submitting a warranty claim for the broken base, and then I'd have TWO eggs. But Karma is a bitch and one of them would probably break on an overnight cook and burn my house down.

So, I picked up a Weber Kettle this weekend, and this coming weekend I'm going to pick up a Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker. Less $$$ than the cost of a new Egg (or a replacement base), no ceramics to crack and fail, and they have a reputation for lasting for ages, and lots more cooking area too. Plus, with the skills I've learned with the Egg I know I can crank out some great food on the Webers.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Well...I've decided to retire my Egg. We got ours used, came with the house because the stand is built into the deck. I've already spent nearly $200 to replace the firebox (it was already cracked when we got it), the fire ring is broken, the band design is dumb and a total PITA to adjust once it goes out of adjustment, and a few weeks ago I found a crack in the base. Starts about halfway down one side, goes across the bottom, and about a foot up the other side. A replacment base will be $500+. Of course if I were the original owner it would be covered under warranty, but I'm not the original owner. So I thought about just buying a new one ($700 for a Large at the my local Ace currently), but that's a lot of cheddar for a grill that often gives people problems. Cracked bases aren't at all uncommon, and the bands require adjustment every year or so. I'll admit I even thought briefly about buying a new one, and in a few months submitting a warranty claim for the broken base, and then I'd have TWO eggs. But Karma is a bitch and one of them would probably break on an overnight cook and burn my house down.

So, I picked up a Weber Kettle this weekend, and this coming weekend I'm going to pick up a Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker. Less $$$ than the cost of a new Egg (or a replacement base), no ceramics to crack and fail, and they have a reputation for lasting for ages, and lots more cooking area too. Plus, with the skills I've learned with the Egg I know I can crank out some great food on the Webers.
    My kettle is approx. 20 years old. I replaced the bottom vents last year for about a $60 bux, every so often I buy a new charcoal grate as it gets twisted from the heat. Other than that .......

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for grilling, i love a weber grille. I want to get one of those cute little ones, the smokey joe. My regular size weber is about done.

for smoking stuff, i welded up a medium sized offset smoker a few years ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Weber Original Kettle Original Kettle Charcoal Grill 22" | Weber.com is my go to standard for the past 30 years and replacement parts and accessories are easily sourced. Not to mention to does a great job. It's outdoor cooking repartoire ranges from burgers to pizza to roasting to smoking, all based on technique and accessories. Make sure and get a weather cover and it'll last pretty long. Post food pictures for sure!
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    The Weber Original Kettle Original Kettle Charcoal Grill 22" | Weber.com is my go to standard for the past 30 years and replacement parts and accessories are easily sourced. Not to mention to does a great job. It's outdoor cooking repartoire ranges from burgers to pizza to roasting to smoking, all based on technique and accessories. Make sure and get a weather cover and it'll last pretty long. Post food pictures for sure!
    Yeah that's the Kettle I got, well, I got the 'premium' one with the built in ash catching bowl on the underside of the kettle, partly for ease of use, partly for safety, any hot embers that fall out of the bottom vent will be less likely to end up on my wooden deck. Here's the steaks from last night. Banked the coals on one side, started with a small fire, set the vents to hold about 250*F on the 'cool' side of the grill, put the steaks there until they reached an internal temp of 120, pulled them off, and then let the fire roar, and put them back on for a quick sear. I need some cast iron for searing, the standard weber rack just doesn't work as well. They were thin, so I had to be careful not to overcook them.

They turned out awesome though, just as good as if I'd done them on the Egg.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NICE :) Glad you figured it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Yeah that's the Kettle I got, well, I got the 'premium' one with the built in ash catching bowl on the underside of the kettle, partly for ease of use, partly for safety, any hot embers that fall out of the bottom vent will be less likely to end up on my wooden deck. Here's the steaks from last night. Banked the coals on one side, started with a small fire, set the vents to hold about 250*F on the 'cool' side of the grill, put the steaks there until they reached an internal temp of 120, pulled them off, and then let the fire roar, and put them back on for a quick sear. I need some cast iron for searing, the standard weber rack just doesn't work as well. They were thin, so I had to be careful not to overcook them.

They turned out awesome though, just as good as if I'd done them on the Egg.

As it turns out I have to get my back deck re-done this year (my wife has decided that at my now advanced age there is too great a chance of my falling off if I do it) so when I find a contractor who will return phone calls I plan to have a section of tile set into the cedar so that I have a more "secure" spot for the kettle to call home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My next purchase as my grate is nearing its end as well.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...0/IMG_0035.jpg
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My next purchase as my grate is nearing its end as well.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...0/IMG_0035.jpg
    Wow! Where did you find that? I bought one of the Weber ones with the removeable centre section that you can put a seat grate into, but this would be the bees knees.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ditto. My grate is almost done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aren't we such a bunch of grille ho's....

https://www.cast-iron-grate.com
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it walks like a duck...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now I regret having bought the new grate that Weber puts out. I wonder if I could return it? It's only been used 7 or 19 times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never leave home without Vsalon in your wallet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh man I want one. After a rainy winter it is time for new grates for my Weber.

I have the Performer, BTW. Built-in gas lighting and a nice work surface. It's well used but if I ever need to replace the kettle I reckon I can just buy a base kettle and hack installing it into the performer chassis.

Appleton WI -- home of Harry Houdini and Rocky Bleier
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a bunch of enablers... just ordered for my grillmeister/smoker guru son's birthday; maybe he'll get the hint and return the favor.