Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: (unfishy) Fish recommendations

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: (unfishy) Fish recommendations

I've worked as a professional fishmonger in Chicago for about 10 years and feel that my advice might be tainted by a extremely high tolerance for what I consider fishy, but if fresh off the boat halibut is too fishy you might give some freshwater fish a try. In the last few years the Northeast has developed a reputation for pioneering advanced fish farming and the barramundi coming out of there is not only considered a "powerfood" but is also pretty mild. I think it's best sauteed hot with a little cajun seasoning, flashed with a little butter at the end. Also, once it gets a little colder the ice fished walleye coming out of Minnesota if one of the best freshwater fish available. Moist, flaky, mild and I think best with a polenta and cornmeal deep fry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Halibut for sure. Like your wife my wife is a non-fish eater. However, She loves halibut. And you can cook it in like 10 minutes.

Just tur on the broil,

Saute chopped onions, add wine when done,

Add halibut, thinner cuts, 1/4 to 1/3 in thick, are best to wine oil and onions, sprinkle tarragon on top,

Put in broiler. Cook for 7 minutes. Check to see if ready by poking the fish with a fish. If it slices easily its ready. sprinkle with salt, pepper and squeez some lemon juice on it. Its easy.

Butter also helps
    Last edited by joosttx; 10-19-2011 at 07:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two of the least fishy best tasting ways to prepare fish are sushi (sashimi, nigiri, maki) and ceviche. It's not really the season for ceviche but man you can make it with any firm white fish and it will taste fantastic. As for the Sushi, look for some recommendations and start simple. Sashimi can be a bit much but it's hard to find someone who doesn't like a good old California roll.

If all things fail go to Neptune in the North End and drown your sorrows in either a lobster roll or some oysters on the half shell. Oh and the East Coast Grill in Cambridge serves all manner of incredible fish.
    Last edited by R.Liverman; 10-19-2011 at 10:52 PM. Reason: because I'm fast enough.
    There is water at the bottom of the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eat something that's not endangered or unconscionable. A lot of ocean fishing isn't sustainable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shinomaster View Post
    Eat something that's not endangered or unconscionable. A lot of ocean fishing isn't sustainable.
    Eating squid is the most sustainable choice for seafood due to their very short generation length,

There is a fish that doesn't taste fishy at all, the orange roughy, but eating them is definitely morally questionable! as they have been very overfished

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, tele.

Speaking from experience here, if your wife has an aversion to fish, simply throwing a halibut steak on the grill won't get you there. Plan a dinner where the fish is a small part of the whole meal, and then be sure it is prepared with a marinade or roasted with tomatoes and veggies. Think "small plate" experience. Maybe an Italian meal with zucchini, roasted eggplant, pasta, and then a small fish portion. I tried this recipe the other night and it was a super easy KILLER dish - going on the regular rotation list:

Seriously Italian: Sicilian-Style Baked Cod | Serious Eats : Recipes

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If she likes smoky barbeque flavors try trout fillets. They are very thin, bones are rare and the flavor is very mild and unlike salt water fish. I just baste with a little olive oil and fresh chopped garlic, although sometimes a good rub with a spice mix such as Old Bay or try one the the boxed Indian pre-mixed spices for something a little more exotic. The thin fillets are a little dryer than other fish, a lot of people have more issues with the texture than the flavor. I'm one of them, I'm finicky about fish but I really like trout. Removing the flesh from the skin before serving can also help with the introduction to the squeamish- makes great fish tacos.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12