I've got a topic I'd like to discuss.

Earlier this year we (Garrett and I) delivered a bike to a client and due to a communication error they didn't have all of the money available at the time of delivery. They got the amount due confused with the amount already paid on account. Given that the amount of the difference wasn't huge and that the person had already paid most of the amount and promised to finalize payment in a short period of time we just said - "send us a check when you can, no worries."

Well, that was in April.

We've called and chatted to the client several times going back to June and July. They love the bike, they ride the bike, we chat, we talk, blah, blah, and then we ask for money. The promise is always "a couple of weeks, sorry for the delay."

So far, no money.

At this point I don' know what my options are.

Can I write off the lack of payment as a loss on my business taxes?
Honestly, I don't think it's worth trying to go to small-claims court. Seems like that would cost more in the long run.
Be patient, it'll work out. (How patient is patient?)

I'm generally easy going and I've always felt that my handshake and my word is solid and I treat people the same way. When selling custom frames and bikes I've never believed that I had to qualify a buyer, I don't see that as being a good experience for the client. Garrett and I work hard to be accommodating to each individual's situation.

Ultimately we shouldn't have let the bike go without final payment but that's in the past and I'm trying to think about the future.

Any thoughts?

Conor