Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: What did you cook this weekend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What did you cook this weekend?

I ground together flap meat and boneless short ribs in a 10 oz to 6 oz ratio, barely touched it to push it into a loose patty, heavy salt & pepper and seared it in a hot pat with a little canola oil. Got a nice crust on the bottom, flipped it, put on some Kraft American Cheese and put it on a Martin's Potato roll, toasted with a little butter (OK, so it was not gluten free).

Fries were hand cut and done in peanut oil with a method pulled from America's Test Kitchen that was stupid easy and worked like magic.

Best home burger I've made yet, according to my very appreciative audience of friends and family.

Oh yeah - a very fast and competitive 45 miles on Saturday with my usual group and a nice paced 50 in the steamy humid South Florida heat with my wife on Sunday. Ride to eat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What did you cook this weekend?

Grilled some mahi² that a coworker caught and brought back from the Keys. Little garlic & lemon with roasted tomato & onions on top. Snarfed before I could get the camera out. My picky children even liked it: "this is fish?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sliced an assortment of heirloom tomatoes out of the garden. Threw them on a foil-lined pan with a bunch of OO, salt and a head of garlic. Roasted it all low and slow on the grill till most of the moisture was gone. Ran half the result through the food processor with a handful of basil. Tossed it all with some fresh pasta and a crusty loaf. Washed it down with a ripe Cabernet. Good recovery vittles after 45 fast in the rain. First ride in tights this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spatcocked an whole turkey that was marinated in finely minced fresh rosemary / salt / pepper/ EVO / old citrus zest. All that on an low slow grill.
    Bird came out crisp and juicy.
    I'll bet that Big Green Egg would have done a better job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TT:

How long did you roast the turkey for? I have a bubba keg grill (the cheap man's version of the big green egg) and am contemplating doing 1 of our 3 turkeys on it for Thanksgiving. I have done a bunch of spatcocked chickens on it with good results, so I am interested in how long your turkey cooked.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for the coals...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "make the break"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First try making Alkaline Noodles (Ramen Noodles) from scratch. Baked Soda is the Key ingredient. Baking Soda baked at 250 for an hour. Changes the phase from Sodium Bicarbonate to Sodium Carbonate, which is the alkaline salt you need to make alkaline noodles. 1% of the weight of your noodles. Recipe I used from Lucky Peach turned out fantastic and I will be doing it again for a more straight up Ramen soon. Last Night it was just a non-traditional chicken noodle soup.

Making the soup was a great tasting/learning experience for me. I've never done it this way. I cooked the chicken legs in water and saved that water. Then I cooked the vegetable aromatic portion that would normally go in the broth/soup in a separate pot. Strain the Veg portion and add that 1/4 cup at a time to the strained meat broth. Taste them separate first and then add. and salt and taste and add and salt and taste and taste again and salt and taste and make it perfect. I very much enjoy exercises like these, forgive me if you don't. I ended up adding all the veg broth to the meat broth but I was amazed at the difference of each before adding. The meat broth was thin. Tasty but no body. The veg aromatic portion was delicious and had all the body/mouth-feel. After you've got great broth. Season the meat, cook the noodles and put it all in a warmed soup bowl. Enjoy

"Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride"
    -H.S.T.

"Convenience can take over, it can be distracting, and it can make you lazy."
    -Grant Peterson

Adventures in Food and Eating

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

on holiday:

3 pizzas (whole wheat pineapple and etc.)
    2 loaves of bread
    cinnamin rolls
    Fried Catfish

the week is young, cinnamin rolls will be repeated (dough is chilled).

cheers (the great crab-hunters return)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WadePatton View Post
    on holiday:

3 pizzas (whole wheat pineapple and etc.)
    2 loaves of bread
    cinnamin rolls
    Fried Catfish

the week is young, cinnamin rolls will be repeated (dough is chilled).

cheers (the great crab-hunters return)
    leave the light on and extra setting --- yummmm, on my way..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bocarider - The bird took 2hrs 45 mins. Having an proper pile of cowboy charcoal stuffed to one side means I never had to peek keeping the temp perfect. The bird was perfect. It's important to have the bird at room temp before cooking. I REALLY want an BGE. Are you happy with the Bubba Keg?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chicken Noodle Soup with frozen peas and fresh kale.

Left Over roast chicken meat. Stock from the carcass + 2 strips of bacon combined with veggie stock that was 2 onion, 1 carrot, black peppercorns, szechuan peppercorns, pinch of red pepper flakes.

Noodles from the Momofuku book, omitting Potassium Carbonate. They worked fine as Harold McGee said they would. 1x recipe makes enough to freeze a half dozen or so saran wrapped 6 oz. portions after feeding 3 people. Beats the hell out of top ramen and I doubt it's any more expensive. Make your own stock. It's getting cold out, and if you have stock and noodles in the freezer soup is always close at hand.

-H.S.T.

-Grant Peterson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That looks really, really good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ramen from Scratch

Ramen post and additional pictures are up in the Blog Section!

-H.S.T.

-Grant Peterson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Bocarider - The bird took 2hrs 45 mins. Having an proper pile of cowboy charcoal stuffed to one side means I never had to peek keeping the temp perfect. The bird was perfect. It's important to have the bird at room temp before cooking. I REALLY want an BGE. Are you happy with the Bubba Keg?
    TT:

The Bubba Keg is good – no superlatives but no disses either.

I struggle with keeping the heat down for low and slow, which is probably more me than the grill (I tend to get impatient and open the vents too quickly). Perhaps I need to do it more to get the feel for it. When I catch it and clamp down the vents on the way up, I have had good results.

High heat grilling on it is great – it gets really hot. I have put my pizza stone on it a few times, really cranked up the heat and have gotten excellent results. Otherwise, I have done chicken and fish on it (I am doing burgers and steaks almost exclusively in the pan/oven as I like my results better with my cooking methods with those heat sources).

For a very reasonable price you I think you get a BGE experience. Is it like riding a no-name TI frame vs. a Serotta? Perhaps but as an entry level grill in that style, I am reasonably happy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Made Burgundy Brisket w/ whipped sweet potatoes and stewed carrot, zucchini and onions last night. Thai pepper tilapia tacos tonight, with Radish sprouts and a lemon/ cilantro/ butter sauce. Dirty rice on the side.
    Cottage cheese for dinner, Greek yogurt for dessert, eat that everyday an' it will make your butt hurt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got some nice pork sirloin chops. Need to figure out a sauce - I made a hoisin BBQ sauce last week which was OK (based on Bobby Flay recipe, but for salmon) but found that it was lacking somewhat for heat. I'm thinking some sort of hoisin/spicy/vinegar mix to throw down on the chops. Have lots of ingredients, just need to mix something up and give it a go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bocarider View Post
    TT:

The Bubba Keg is good – no superlatives but no disses either.

I struggle with keeping the heat down for low and slow, which is probably more me than the grill (I tend to get impatient and open the vents too quickly). Perhaps I need to do it more to get the feel for it. When I catch it and clamp down the vents on the way up, I have had good results.

High heat grilling on it is great – it gets really hot. I have put my pizza stone on it a few times, really cranked up the heat and have gotten excellent results. Otherwise, I have done chicken and fish on it (I am doing burgers and steaks almost exclusively in the pan/oven as I like my results better with my cooking methods with those heat sources).

For a very reasonable price you I think you get a BGE experience. Is it like riding a no-name TI frame vs. a Serotta? Perhaps but as an entry level grill in that style, I am reasonably happy.
    I've found the key to slow and low is to catch the temp at or below 500 on the way up and start moderating from there. If the kettle hits 550+ you have a task to get it lower, involving ice trays etc.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pork tenderloins - marinade in mix of lemon juice, red pepper flakes, cumin, oregano, garlic, salt, cilantro for the better part of a day. Grill over medium heat ( I was showing 450 under the grill top) until 140-145 in the center - turned about every 4-5 minutes and I poured the remaining marinade on as I cooked. Serve. Super good and super easy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    Pork tenderloins - marinade in mix of lemon juice, red pepper flakes, cumin, oregano, garlic, salt, cilantro for the better part of a day. Grill over medium heat ( I was showing 450 under the grill top) until 140-145 in the center - turned about every 4-5 minutes and I poured the remaining marinade on as I cooked. Serve. Super good and super easy.
    I'm keeping a copy of the marinade in my head. Perfect :) Cumin + Red Pepper Flakes = brilliant. Are you using one of those instant read pen thermometers? I'm a cave-griller and I poke at the meat with my calibrated forefinger ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I served lasagna, salad and bourbon-maple ice cream topped with bacon bits for a dinner party.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast