User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What did you cook this weekend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What did you cook this weekend?

It was a light cooking weekend for me:

Beer braised meatballs (50% beef, 25% veal, 25% lamb, seasoned with nutmeg, coriander, tarragon, salt and pepper)
    Dill onion bread (my first bread baking attempt)
    Glazed brussel sprouts with pancetta

I had the meatballs for leftovers today. Best work lunch ever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whole Foods had some fresh turkey tenderloins that the guys had just cut up, so I butter-flyed them, pounded them thin and seasonsed with salt & pepper. Then I carmelized some onions and added a bunch of crimini mushrooms that I chopped pretty fine in the food processor, sauted that whole pile until the mushrooms got nice and brown, added a little garlic and seasoned with salt and pepper. Then I deglazed the pan with some maderia wine which I pretty much cooked off all the way.

I spread that over the pounded out turkey and layered some fresh arrugula and and spinach and then rolled it up tight and tied it off using the cross hatch method I found on youtube (amazing what you find on the tube). We marinated the rolls in garlic, olive oil, fresh thyme and rosemarry.

I slow cooked them on the cool side of the gas grill for about 30 min until it got to an internal temperature of around 140 and then hit them on the hot side for about 3 minutes a side to get a nice brown crust and an internal temp of about 170.

Let it rest, sliced into medalions and plated it up with some fresh green beans and some polenta that my wife made and the extra mushrooms that we pan sauted.

The picture on the gril sucks as it was dark out and my phone camera has limited abilities in low light conditions.

Good eating.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bocarider; 11-14-2011 at 10:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice Job Bocarider :)

We entertained soooo. I made my version of Avocado Salad two ways.

Avacado / Chicken - roast trimmed chicken thighs (they have more flavor) in a hot oven or close to the broiler. Don't season heavily, just the usual. Cool, cube and set aside. For the salad make a fairly fine cut of whatever solid tomatoes you can find. De-water the tomatoes on towels for about 1 hr. In a bowl add ripe avocados, mash roughly and add: lime, salt, cayenne, toasted / crushed cumin seeds, black pepper, chopped cilantro and mashed roasted garlic. Into the party add chicken and lightly toss to incorporate and cool for at least 2 hrs. Serve chilled on a bed of cress, idea being that guests can scoop under the cress and create their own nest of salad. You may choose to grind some fresh black pepper over the salad before serving...I did.

Avacado / Salmon - Same as above. To prepare the salmon you need to skin the filets and cube the fish into reasonable pieces for the salad. Work fast and use a very thin/sharp knife, helps to dip the knife in water. Suggest you chill the cubed fish before flash broiling it. Arrange the pieces so that NOTHING touches or you will have fish soup. Also, broil fast and hard!!! Don't be afraid to pull the fish out as soon as you see color or you might end up making cat food. When done gently slide the fish off the tray or stuff the batch directly into a freezer to stop cooking. Once cool, incorporate with the salad mixture.

Serve with warm pita or...I made pizza dough, rolled it super thin and cooked it a little crisp on the Big Green Egg plate setter with a smear of oilve oil and finely minced rosemary and salt.

Enjoy, this was a hit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sadly, I forgot to take pictures . . .

Saturday, we picked up some Iowa lamb chops from the coop.

Menu:
    marinated, grilled lamb chops - beautifully medium rare
    butternut squash risotto
    beet greens from our garden
    baby lettuce salads (lettuce & juliet tomatoes from our garden)
    and a bottle of French red wine.

Sunday menu:
    oven roasted chicken breasts with rosemary & thyme from our garden
    oven roasted beets, carrots (both from our garden), parsnips, and onion
    prairie seed sourdough bread from the coop
    salads
    California Merlot

A good weekend fo' sho'!
    Last edited by fmbp; 11-14-2011 at 12:25 PM. Reason: update on Sunday wine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweet potato - kale - ginger soup. With fennel, onions, garlic, basil, curry powder. High iron content for road rash recovery.

Olive - basil - onion pizza (dough bought at Eataly, not homemade.) High pizza content for road rash recovery.

Swedish fish (Swedish fish not homemade in the slightest.) High sugar and red dye #2 content for road rash recovery.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hanger steak/salt/pepper, and sauteed mushrooms/olive oil/chardonnay. And a Scrimshaw.
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cooked halibut last night for the first time ever. I was a little apprehensive about ruining such an expensive piece of fish, but what the hell. Turned out great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tried a new Asian green. I'm told this is one of the most popular in China. Tastes like a cross between Bok Choy and Broccoli Rabe
    Striped bass and Yu Choy

yuchoy.jpg

-Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neat -- I remember one of my favorite dishes in NYC was On Choy stir-fried with fresh garlic. I wonder if this is the same, or one of 150 different <x> choys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alexstar View Post
    I cooked halibut last night for the first time ever. I was a little apprehensive about ruining such an expensive piece of fish, but what the hell. Turned out great.
    If ever feeling apprehensive about cooking fish...use the Canadian Fisheries Rule.

Measure the fish at its thickest point. Give it 10 minutes per inch of thickness IN TOTAL. NO MATTER HOW YOU COOK IT. Fry it, steam it over boullion, grill it, bake it.

If you are cooking the fish from frozen and don’t thaw it. Just give it 20 minutes per inch if you are going to put it on the heat frozen. Handy when you come home famished and only have a fish frozen in the freezer.

Don’t remember who told me the rule but it was before I married my Canadian wife. And I have no idea how it works but it really does.

This is for fish fish...shellfish is different. Like shrimp boil is 3 minutes and out.
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    Tried a new Asian green. I'm told this is one of the most popular in China. Tastes like a cross between Bok Choy and Broccoli Rabe
    Striped bass and Yu Choy

yuchoy.jpg

-Mike G
    I made the Yu Choy again but this time with Shiitake, garlic, ginger and brown rice. paired it with Vouvray. What an amazing pairing. -Mike G
    Vouvray was made for Asian

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pork Pozole was the hit last evening...hominy, pork, red beans, and a combination of lettuce, chile peppers, onion, garlic, radishes and avocado with a splash of lime. Did I mention cornbread too?
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks fantastic rw!
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Guy...there were no leftovers either.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Home grown cranberry beans, home grown frost kissed dino kale (so sweet!), home grown garlic, home grown thyme, bacon favored setan. The whole wheat baguette intended for the meal didn't make it past the french toast for breakfast...

Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slow roastedPork Shoulder. Oven roasted with buttermilk and onions for 4 hours. Its plated atop grilled radicchio resting on an onion puree. That got topped with a salad of chopped raw radicchio and olives dressed with lemon. The sharpness of the salad really complements the pork and the sweetness of the onion puree. Added bonus, its keto friendly.

IMG_5906.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mustard Greens, cannellinni beans and pasta. I added cheese later. My first meal with a Brassica juncea vegetable

mustard_test.jpg -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it was not my cooking, but over the weekend I spent some time with an old university friend to try to help her with a work thing. She is an excellent cook at traditional English things, eggs, bacon, sausages, vegetable soup, and nice bread, roast chicken with roast potatoes, lots of veg, gravy, apple crumble. etc Really nice home cooked healthy comfort food. She cooked way too much and as I left early on Monday she produced 3 tupperware boxes of the suitable leftovers for me to take home and it has got me through the whole week. But the shops beckon tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Made Sardines and spaghetti. Came out pretty good. Used leeks instead of onions which turned out to be a good idea. beyond that some lemon zest, parsley and pine nuts -Mike G

SARDINES.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last evening’s tortellini-sausage-vegetable soup, made to ward away the blues.
    rw saunders

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast