Likes Likes:  0

Thread: park stand for building

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default park stand for building

I've been suffering with the old style Park Tool clamp (turnbuckle adjust) in a home-built holding tube for long enough. Looks like the Park horizontal tube, e.g. 124a, costs more than a stand. I was considering this anyway, but it almost looks like something along the lines of a PRS-7-2 might work better. I'm just curious about how easy it is to rotate the frame in this newer design

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: park stand for building

Hmm. I actually bought an old-style Park clamp because it holds better than my Ultimate stand.
    Pete Ruckelshaus * Teacher, Fat Guy on a Bike * Collegeville, PA

pruckelshaus' flickr
    Framejig.wordpress.com effort to collect DIY framebuilding jig designs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

seems to me that holding better isn't really a factor since I like to be able to rotate the frame relative to the clamp. I am thinking about going with the traditional style though.

the bad thing about the traditional turnbuckle style is the adjust, too loose, adjust, too tight, oops cycle. I crimped the seat tube on my first frame that way. Granted, I was 16 and that's stupid, but it does happen occasionally. My real objection to it is while changing positions on a hot frame, I always seem to screw up the turnbuckle setting and then the possibility of burning myself goes way up

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use this one Tools

It's fitted to a height adjustable stand that's plugs into the stand for my reference plate. Other than the quickly adjustable jaws, and the incredible smoothness of rotation, my favorite feature is that the clamp is offset from the center of rotation. If you clamp the frame so the area you're working on is at the axis of rotation, you can rotate the frame all you want to get different angles and your work area is always at the same height.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that is a nice arm, puts me back in the position of having to pay more $ than I want for the horizontal tube though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EricKeller View Post
    that is a nice arm, puts me back in the position of having to pay more $ than I want for the horizontal tube though.
    Just do it. Any twinge of pain you feel when you fork over the cash will disappear the first time you use it. 20 years from now you'll wonder why you didn't get it sooner.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Sean (though I use an old PRS-2 which I can adjust just while holding a torch since I've been doing it for so long). Pay the money. You will use it all the time and thank yourself for not messing around. Same goes for your vise. (Buy the damn Wilton and don't look back.) Good tools cost good money.
    Portland, Oregon, USA
    www.pereiracycles.com
    www.breadwinnercycles.com
    503-333-5043

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pereiracycles View Post
    I agree with Sean (though I use an old PRS-2 which I can adjust just while holding a torch since I've been doing it for so long). Pay the money. You will use it all the time and thank yourself for not messing around. Same goes for your vise. (Buy the damn Wilton and don't look back.) Good tools cost good money.
    I went to the Cannondale auction and one of the things I came away with that is priceless is a pneumatic arm that needs no adjustment for tubes between 1.125" - 1.5" It is amazing. I have an EVT arm and like it a ton. I use it as an actual bicycle stand arm. This pneumatic one is essentially the 3rd hand tool of arms. The foot pedal never gets in the way and the grip is amazing. I have one as surplus if anyone is interested. send me an e-mail.

-Drew
    Last edited by EnginCycles; 09-13-2011 at 05:58 PM.
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plus one more for the 'Right Arm', It's a sweet piece of gear. I have mine in another building from where I build frames, i need to either buy another one or combine the two shops.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems to me that if you didn't want to spend money, the Right Arm Clamp from EVT could be made without too much trouble by oneself, for $15 or so. That's if your time is less valuable than your dollars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whipsmart View Post
    It seems to me that if you didn't want to spend money, the Right Arm Clamp from EVT could be made without too much trouble by oneself, for $15 or so. That's if your time is less valuable than your dollars.

Most parts on the Right Arm can be made quite easily. IMO, it's the parts you can't see that make it a joy to use.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whipsmart View Post
    Other people have told me this too, but I try not to adopt any elaborate projects like that. You make some really nice tools, now hidden away at the end of the "simple tools" thread in the wiki section. But it doesn't make sense for most of us to make tools. I made a half-hearted effort in this case, and it doesn't really make sense for me to dump more time into it given the economics. I hadn't really considered the EVT arm because my initial estimate was that I was less than $100 away from a solution, but that hasn't turned out to be the case. I'm a firm believer in the philosophy that you are still living with the quality of a tool long after your wife forgets how much it cost.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Eric,

I understand. It was just a thought!