User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: What are the best Sharpening stones for Knives and chisels?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Arkansas Wet Stones

8 22.86%
  • Japanese Water Stones

13 37.14%
  • Diamond Sharpeners

7 20.00%
  • Something Else

9 25.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knife Sharpening

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Knife Sharpening

So for years, I prepared for trips into the woods by sitting for hours, sharpening my knives. I took great pride in my ability to put a razor's edge on some blades and an edge that would stand up to anything and stay sharp on others. On one particularly leisurely journey in northern Ontario, I sat by the fire and sharpened my knife till it would shave, and then shaved my head, stopping periodically to clean up the edge. It would be great to have that kind of leisure time again, though I might use it differently.

So all of this is off the point. And I am sure I have come to the right place for an answer to this question.

Where does one get a good sharpening stone these days? I mean the last stone I would ever buy. Does the aficionado go to Japanese Water Stones, Modern Diamond stones, or the old favorite Soft, Hard and Black Arkansas wet stones?

Has new technology brought forth something worthy of note?

It has been 30 years (and 3 months) since I bought a sharpening stone. So what do I get? No limits, spend what it takes, the stones or systems that will take good care of fine blades for the next 40 years or so, longer if my kids use them

Can't wait to hear what you all have to offer.
    Dovid@dhoffman.consulting

Fundamentally the marksmen aims at himself.
    -Zen in the Art of Archery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Knife Sharpening

I have a cheap 1x30 belt sander that I got from Harbor Freight and a bunch of the belts and the leather honing belt from Edge Masters.
    Sharpening Supplies for Sale

I go up to 1000 gri and then the leather. Puts one heck of an edge on a knife.
    Mike Zanconato
    Web
    | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Flickr | Tumblr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zank View Post
    I have a cheap 1x30 belt sander that I got from Harbor Freight and a bunch of the belts and the leather honing belt from Edge Masters.
    Sharpening Supplies for Sale

I go up to 1000 gri and then the leather. Puts one heck of an edge on a knife.
    I have long operated on the premise that doing so would heat the edge and risk messing with the temper of the steel. Do you notice any discoloration of the edge?
    Dovid@dhoffman.consulting

Fundamentally the marksmen aims at himself.
    -Zen in the Art of Archery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dhoff View Post
    I have long operated on the premise that doing so would heat the edge and risk messing with the temper of the steel. Do you notice any discoloration of the edge?
    No color at all. Bright and shiny. I take very light passes. And one or two swipes with the leather belt and honing compound is all I've needed.
    Mike Zanconato
    Web
    | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Flickr | Tumblr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a NYC stagehand. I carry a knife and use it daily. All of my knives have 3 or 4 inch blades and are of the folding variety. I prefer serrated knives to cut through rope, tape, string, cardboard etc. I am partial to Spyderco knives for their durability. Their original edge is cut on a 30 degree angle.

I have also owned several Kershaw non-serrated knives. Their original angle is cut closer to 25 degrees. They are potentially sharper but less durable.

For my Spydercos I use the Spyderco triangular sharpener. The point on the triangle stone allows for the sharpening of serrated blades.

Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker (Set)

For my Kershaws and other knives that have angles other than 30 degrees I use the Lansky sharpener.

https://lansky.com/index.php/products/universal-system/

If you are a surgeon, sushi chef or any other super specialized user, I digress. I use and sharpen knives in a very blue collar, utilitarian fashion. That's what I know and speak of.

I hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always just used an Arkansas stone from Gerber with a drop of dish soap. Maybe it's not the best or proper way, but it works for our kitchen knives.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

D.H. I use a bit of this and a bit of that. For heavy metal I use a large two sided diamond plate in a holder. All it takes are a few swipes on the course side to begin moving metal.
    I was , gulp, an boy scout so I was taught how to use arkansas stones for knives and a file or axe stone for axes, hoes, machettes etc. Old school is still good.
    For fast touch ups of my chefs knives I use an el cheapo diamond rod. When I want to get hair splitting edge on my folding knives I'll start with the arkansas stones than finish with ceramic rods and finally an old school long leather razor strop with compound....I could prob. skip the ceramic rods but they are intermediate and seem to make an edge that lasts longer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wade Patton turned me onto US Hand Knife Sharpening Systems | Edge Pro System

It works incredibly well and easy to control.
    life is too short to drink bad wine....

Stuart Levy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this place Hida Tool, is near me in Berkeley CA. They are serious about sharp knives and tools!

Woodworking Water Stone

amos

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't beat the Edge Pro (Apex). It uses water stones. see videos at site.

also, the mirror-polished edge is killer.
    Last edited by WadePatton; 09-10-2011 at 11:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For my Benchmade EDC, I use medium and fine diamond hones to remove nicks, then use an 800 grit japanese waterstone, then finish with 2000 grit waterstone. I'd say it puts a pretty good edge on 154CM steel. I also use the waterstone to sharpen my chisels, and scrapers. I've used oilstones, and I don't like them as much as waterstones for some reason, though the oilstones hold their shape better. I'd like to own one of the super-fine waterstones someday (50,000+ grit), as I think you could get a pretty darn keen edge with that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All the timberframers, and most of the cabinet makers I know use Japanese water stones. This crowd is pretty particular about an edge. The stones are easy to use and maintain. I carry a cheap diamond stone around in my tool bag for quick work, and a utility knife for everyday stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I have my Grandpa's India Oil Stone, made by Norton in NH. He was a top-flight machinist.

This stone's a lot bigger than what I've seen for sale, and the large size coupled with the heavy cast iron base makes it easy to use.

Just hope that 70-year-old oil residue is PCB-free or at least PCB-lite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EdgePro is good stuff - can't mess it up...
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WadePatton View Post
    Can't beat the Edge Pro (Apex). It uses water stones. see videos at site.

also, the mirror-polished edge is killer.
    I've heard pretty good things about this system and was thinking of checking it out.

Frankly, I've been cheating for years with my kitchen knives with a chef's choice machine. With the better ones, used properly (which is not even remotely hard) and not over-used, you get a decent edge without taking away a ton of material or ruining the temper of the blade. And it's just so darn easy and fast. But the Apex looks tempting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dang View Post
    I've heard pretty good things about this system and was thinking of checking it out.

Frankly, I've been cheating for years with my kitchen knives with a chef's choice machine. With the better ones, used properly (which is not even remotely hard) and not over-used, you get a decent edge without taking away a ton of material or ruining the temper of the blade. And it's just so darn easy and fast. But the Apex looks tempting.
    Dan, you are more than welcome to borrow mine, if it will help make you a more informed decision......

Stuart Levy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dan, you are more than welcome to borrow mine, if it will help make you a more informed decision......

Stuart Levy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every thing mentioned above! From the grinder with an AO wheel and a file to my 4000 & 8000 grit stones and everything in between.
    A man's gotta have blades for everything from digging holes to filleting bluegills & slicing the ripest tomato.
    No mention of ceramics, however............
    I like the spyderco/kershaw guy. Nice workin' knives there.........I have a couple Creightons for fish only.
    - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For kitchen knifes I use crock sticks like these Amazon.com: Lansky 4 Rod Gourmet Crock Stick Sharpener: Sports & Outdoors

They are easy to use and get my knifes sharp enough to shave my arm. And yes, the patchy arm hair look is in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dan- or anybody want a sample edge via my edge-pro, send me the knife, return shipping and a coupla dollars for my time. Explain the application and if you want original angles replicated or altered for application. Also, 320 finish leaves more tooth for busting tomato skins than 800 or 2000g finishes.

i have a chef's choice 3-stage (edgeselect 120) for sale! easy but very limited. i've not turned it on since the Apex arrived.

as to the poll. i keep an arkansas stone in my pocket or nearby for touch ups in the field. works with water or oil or saliva. so i use water and oil stones, no more grinders ever-except i do freehand on the belt sander for reshaping.

hey toots--this could go into le Cooks forum.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast