Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Professional Tennis

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Professional Tennis

Watched some US Open stuff today. I dig pro tennis. Not in the same way that I dig pro cycling, but I can appreciate it for sure.

I'm in awe of the coordination and athleticism and the grind of a multi-hour match.

Watched some Fish and Tsonga today. Very cool stuff.

Darren? You never talk much about tennis, but it would appear you might be pretty good at it. How close did you get to playing pro tournaments?

I do like pro tennis just like I like watching the Masters or British Open or US Open golf tournaments too. They have their place in my world, even if it is OT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Professional Tennis

I find myself watching professional tennis, and i dont get it.. Maybe its the athleticism?? I rode bicycles and played soccer growing up. I get why i am interested in those two sports, but i never had any first hand knowledge of tennis. Yet, i still sometimes watch it, and i always wonder why....I dont watch football or baseball, but find myself watching tennis..and i am OK with it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After riding behind Darren I can tell you he plays plenty…next time you get behind him take a look at his shoulders, his right one is at least 1" more muscled than his left! But tell us about tournament tennis Darren.

I played lots as a kid and was on the freshman team in college and loved watching the pros. Used to go to Forest Hills and watch Rod Laver, Ken Rosewall, Arthur Ashe and Tony Roche…my favorite was a Danish guy named Torben Ulrich, had long hair and a ponytail. He walked out of a match once because his opponent refused to play the game the right way (the guy kept hitting lobs). My brother has stayed in the sport, he's a collegiate coach for a D-1 team and we often compare notes about the seamier sides of our respective sports.

Open up Darren, tell us what you went through!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Torben was maybe Jans' danish brother.. I only wish

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i started playing when i was 15/16 and had a good coach and played about 360 days a week. if you're athletic you can do anything well. i played for a few years with him (in canada) and went on to play division 2 tennis for a small school in MI. i'm much better now then i was in college. tennis is a sport where it takes a lot of feel and a lot of hours during the week. the small muscle groups require a lot of repetition.

there isn't much more exciting (maybe hockey) than watch a good tennis match. watch nadal play and you'll be amazing.

more info later. i'll hopefully be at the open for the semi finals or finals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually he's the father of Lars....aka the drummer of Metallica who's supposedly a decent player in his own right...but gave it up to become a musician.

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyhillrambler View Post
    Torben was maybe Jans' danish brother.. I only wish

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never met a tennis player who wasn't also a good bike rider.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Officer View Post
    After riding behind Darren I can tell you he plays plenty…next time you get behind him take a look at his shoulders, his right one is at least 1" more muscled than his left! But tell us about tournament tennis Darren.

I played lots as a kid and was on the freshman team in college and loved watching the pros. Used to go to Forest Hills and watch Rod Laver, Ken Rosewall, Arthur Ashe and Tony Roche…my favorite was a Danish guy named Torben Ulrich, had long hair and a ponytail. He walked out of a match once because his opponent refused to play the game the right way (the guy kept hitting lobs). My brother has stayed in the sport, he's a collegiate coach for a D-1 team and we often compare notes about the seamier sides of our respective sports.

Open up Darren, tell us what you went through!
    Did the same -- also in Hanover? Regional caliber junior tennis, freshman team in college for a D1 program (sort of solid but second tier D1 -- not USC or TN). Had a sort of up and down freshman year and a falling out with the tennis program, which didn't really need me. Took up bike racing with the college team junior year, although if you're the Tom Officer I'm thinking of, I took it up in a decidedly less excellent fashion.

Grew up without delusions -- had a real knack for the game, at some level (soccer too maybe), but also had a local friend who was number one in the US and just plain better in every way; and saw some kid one age group older than me in the NY State hardcourts when I was 12 and saw right away that he was like a different species. That kid, Johnnie Mac, turned out to be pretty darn good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sharapova grunts like a wild banshee.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dang View Post
    Did the same -- also in Hanover? Regional caliber junior tennis, freshman team in college for a D1 program (sort of solid but second tier D1 -- not USC or TN). Had a sort of up and down freshman year and a falling out with the tennis program, which didn't really need me. Took up bike racing with the college team junior year, although if you're the Tom Officer I'm thinking of, I took it up in a decidedly less excellent fashion.

Grew up without delusions -- had a real knack for the game, at some level (soccer too maybe), but also had a local friend who was number one in the US and just plain better in every way; and saw some kid one age group older than me in the NY State hardcourts when I was 12 and saw right away that he was like a different species. That kid, Johnnie Mac, turned out to be pretty darn good.
    Family moved to Hanover for my last 2 years of high school, no team when I was there, did other sports, but played some tournaments and stuff. Franconia rings a bell. My brother was quite good, I never had the coordination or personality to be as good. You definitely find out pretty quick in that sport where you stand. Somehow cycling just suited my skills a little better, but I watch the pros with a real appreciation of their skills.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dang View Post

Family moved to Hanover for my last 2 years of high school, no team when I was there, did other sports, but played some tournaments and stuff. Franconia rings a bell. My brother was quite good, I never had the coordination or personality to be as good. You definitely find out pretty quick in that sport where you stand. Somehow cycling just suited my skills a little better, but I watch the pros with a real appreciation of their skills.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
    Sharapova grunts like a wild banshee.
    It's hot when she grunts like a wild banshee.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool tennis article, with some tangential cycling content:

http://www.edcaesar.co.uk/article.php?article_id=60

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Women's tennis vs women's cycling: you make the call....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Darren, can I get a ruling on this tennis gear?
    Boast USA : Products : Listing
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Officer View Post
    Gotcha . . . sorry, Hanover was college (and freshman tennis, and later cycling), HS was elsewhere. Time for me to turn on the tube and see if the rain has stopped enough to allow my betters to hit the ball.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    Darren, can I get a ruling on this tennis gear?
    Boast USA : Products : Listing
    smoking dope allowed on lunch break. thats supah old school chase