Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ravioli recipe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ravioli recipe

Looking for a good ravioli recipe, specifically for a good filling. The kiddies and me have the dough down, but I cant seem to get a good filling. Suggestions for cheese/spinach types?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Ravioli recipe

I will get you my wifes filling recipe, I was vegetarian for about 20 years, so she has a library of geood veggie stuff. She makes a wonderful filling for ravioli and lasagna. If you are interested she also makes one with, half ricotta and half tofu.. Dear god its good. Good way to introduce folks to tofu if they are reluctant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best ever - Use an very sharp knife to mince shitake mushrooms than toss them in an very hot pan BRIEFLY with rosemary and pepper infused clarified butter. You can try this with finely minced shallots but I think that the better your quality of mushrooms they are easily overpowerd by whatever else you add...thus the rosemary infused butter with the mushrooms kills. Hello nurse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roasted butternut squash is easy. You can make either a simple brown butter and sage sauce, or a white sauce with cheese. The white sauce is very rich, I usually throw in some hot italian peppers to tone it down a little.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Put your favorite ricotta in some cheese cloth in a strainer for about 2 hours to get some the excess moisture out.

While that is going on, dice up some mushrooms (white or baby bella – shitakes don’t really work with this flavor profile) and sauté in olive oil. Toss in some minced shallot, sauté a bit and then some crushed garlic and sauté that a bit (sorry, no precise amounts, this was an improv that became a standard).

Deglaze with some white wine, season with salt and pepper and move the mushrooms to a bowl.

Toss a bunch of fresh spinach into the hot pan and let it wilt down. Chop it up and add it to the mushrooms. Mix in the drained ricotta and grate in a bunch of Parmesan or Romano cheese and taste for seasoning. It should not need much salt as the grated cheese should be sufficiently salty. Mix until smooth and let it cool to room temp.

It can go into a piping bag (or a ziplock with the corner cut out) and you can pipe it onto your pasta sheets.

I boil them until they float and then melt butter in a sauté pan, add sage to the butter until fragrant and then toss in the cooked ravioli. Plate and hit with one more grate of cheese and maybe some chopped Italian parsley.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bocarider View Post
    Put your favorite ricotta in some cheese cloth in a strainer for about 2 hours to get some the excess moisture out.

While that is going on, dice up some mushrooms (white or baby bella – shitakes don’t really work with this flavor profile) and sauté in olive oil. Toss in some minced shallot, sauté a bit and then some crushed garlic and sauté that a bit (sorry, no precise amounts, this was an improv that became a standard).

Deglaze with some white wine, season with salt and pepper and move the mushrooms to a bowl.

Toss a bunch of fresh spinach into the hot pan and let it wilt down. Chop it up and add it to the mushrooms. Mix in the drained ricotta and grate in a bunch of Parmesan or Romano cheese and taste for seasoning. It should not need much salt as the grated cheese should be sufficiently salty. Mix until smooth and let it cool to room temp.

It can go into a piping bag (or a ziplock with the corner cut out) and you can pipe it onto your pasta sheets.

I boil them until they float and then melt butter in a sauté pan, add sage to the butter until fragrant and then toss in the cooked ravioli. Plate and hit with one more grate of cheese and maybe some chopped Italian parsley.
    Reads like a book. Thanks for that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Put your favorite ricotta ...
    post of the toque-ista day (POTTD)

thanks
    Last edited by WadePatton; 09-06-2011 at 11:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks man, making a shopping list.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some points not mentioned:

-Try very hard to get all the air out when you're sealing them up. Any air inside the ravioli will expand during cooking, and can cause them to burst.

-Use egg whites and a brush to glue the two halves of pasta together. Pretend it's Mastik One.

-Ricotta is way too easy to make at home, and tastes awesome. Try it.
    steve cortez

FNG